When to plow in the wheat and plant the soybeans is always a tough decision for me. I like the mid April time frame best in north Texas/South Oklahoma. If gives the beans enough time to grow for food in July/August. If you leave the wheat, it usually gets consumed/burnt up by end of May. Then you can have a difficult time getting your beans to grow with less rain after May/June in many years. I always have a backup of the perianal alfalfa plot that is always there to help out. In the areas I hunt, July/August/September and Late Dec/Jan/early Feb are the times with the least amount of natural groceries for the deer herd. I try my best to have good plots during those times.

If you have a place with 30" or better of average (timely too) rainfall, implement the plot systems I described and manage your place for pressure/only harvest 5 to 7 year old bucks, you should see results in the average size of your bucks. This is assuming you are no over CC and have enough land to hold several deer. Many will be surprised at how small a place you can hold deer if they have everything they need and no pressure.