Print Thread
Tracking point rifle? #5578772 02/02/15 10:38 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Anyone know anything about these and their value and if they are actually selling in the market. got a customer that purchased one and had it shipped to me for transfer. He has about decided he no longer wants it, and asked me if I would broker a sale on it for a fee. I don't think its worth my time cause I don't see them moving for as high as they are but I may be wrong. not sure If I should do the work for a gun that won't move. Anyone know if they work? Its on a surgeon action and McMillan a3-a5 stock comes with barns ammo 300 win mag. Super nice set up but crazy heavy, this is the first one I have ever seen.

Last edited by HorizonFirearms; 02/02/15 10:38 PM.
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5578804 02/02/15 11:00 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Is that one of those that don't miss?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: Bullfrog] #5578845 02/02/15 11:26 PM
H
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
Is that one of those that don't miss?

I guess I have heard all kinds of rumors I have never driven one. Sounds like neat technology in a scope on a pretty nice rifle

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5578857 02/02/15 11:38 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
From what I've seen, they are reserved for the wealthy that won't take the time to learn how to shoot distance. Put us on a time constraint and I'd run one for pinks. I predict they will fade away for most of the population.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5578877 02/02/15 11:52 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Not sure which "crowd" this set up appeals to. maybe on Long Range Hunter.com. Safari Club International? You might find a buyer

I have heard good things about it, very accurate and reliable but slow to get it set on the target (animal)few buttons to push after lining up target.

Out of my league

Would be fun to play with though,

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5578911 02/03/15 12:02 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've seen several Tracking Point SPS Tactical 700s listed on FB. They seem to sell pretty quick but I don't know about a high end rifle like the one you have.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: J.G.] #5578924 02/03/15 12:06 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
My brother wants one pretty badly. The last two years, Tracking Point has manned a booth at DSC. We spent a lot of time talking them up both years. Their basic model, the one Horizon has I believe, runs around $25,000. They now have an entry-level model, a .308 built on a Remington action, that comes in at a little less than $10,000. They have also rigged up this year an AR-15 in .223 for around a little less, IIRC.

They are based in Austin. The guns do not miss once clicked onto the target, no matter if the target continues to move around. To me, they better get a military contract if they are going to make it. But my brother--ever the engineer--is really intrigued. Me, not so much.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5578927 02/03/15 12:06 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Seen the videos. Would be interesting to shoot it sometime just to try it out but I wouldn't buy one.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5578943 02/03/15 12:14 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Super cool concept, probably not for me though. Start cranking out models that are 5k and people will buy them. I figured thermal would never catch on but look what it has done.

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: dawaba] #5578955 02/03/15 12:20 AM
H
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: dawaba
My brother wants one pretty badly. The last two years, Tracking Point has manned a booth at DSC. We spent a lot of time talking them up both years. Their basic model, the one Horizon has I believe, runs around $25,000. They now have an entry-level model, a .308 built on a Remington action, that comes in at a little less than $10,000. They have also rigged up this year an AR-15 in .223 for around a little less, IIRC.

They are based in Austin. The guns do not miss once clicked onto the target, no matter if the target continues to move around. To me, they better get a military contract if they are going to make it. But my brother--ever the engineer--is really intrigued. Me, not so much.

This one he wants to sell at 23,000 Think he paid 25?? comes with the I pad and all the stuff. I heard they just started outlawing them for hunting in New Jersy, not that that matters. Military seems like the way to sell them. It will be interesting to see if the 10K model from Remington takes off. I was also told today (have not read it myself) that Remington is in the hole 3 billion after moving part of the company and the trigger recall.

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: dawaba] #5578974 02/03/15 12:32 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
dawaba,

Tell him to spend about $2k building a rifle, and $1-2k on scope and send him to me for two full days for $600.

He'll be way better off in the long run.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: J.G.] #5579045 02/03/15 01:01 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
dawaba,

Tell him to spend about $2k building a rifle, and $1-2k on scope and send him to me for two full days for $600.

You're right, of course. But he is already a pretty fair country shot and seems immune to recoil, despite extended sessions with our .375s. He enjoys shooting and hunting, like all of us, but it's the space-age aspect of the advanced electronics that really get his juices flowing. And the price tag doesn't scare him much either.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: dawaba] #5579066 02/03/15 01:13 AM
6.5x47Lapua Offline
Tracker
Tracker
The guns do not miss once clicked onto the target, no matter if the target continues to move around.

I would be interested in seeing how this system deals with variable and switching winds. My guess is, it doesn't.

Most of my misses are due to these changing winds. This all seems like a gimmick.

My solution would be to buy a range finder, kestrel 4000+, get dope, and as much range time as a person could afford.

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5579069 02/03/15 01:14 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I have told Derrick this story but they(the TP system) obviously works. My boss lives in Austin and is friends with one of the buyers of a Tracking Point AR in .308. My boss is ...how can I say this nicely... he is not Chris Kyle.
He called me a few weeks ago when they were out hunting and I told him to try the Tracking point and see how it worked with him shooting it. It was really windy that day so I thought it would give them fits trying to hit at distance. He made a first shot hit on a 4 inch bulls-eye at 700 yards..... impressed me.
Now you have to use their ammo but folks who would go for this are probably not reloaders and would be fine with that I reckon.
To me its a novelty thing and would be fun to play with but not something I would consider for hunting... kinda like hunting pen raised deer.
bolt bolt

Last edited by DStroud; 02/03/15 01:15 AM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: 6.5x47Lapua] #5579111 02/03/15 01:29 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
The guns do not miss once clicked onto the target, no matter if the target continues to move around.

I would be interested in seeing how this system deals with variable and switching winds. My guess is, it doesn't.

Most of my misses are due to these changing winds. This all seems like a gimmick.

My solution would be to buy a range finder, kestrel 4000+, get dope, and as much range time as a person could afford.

Says a fellow shooter that knows what he's talking about.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: dawaba] #5579325 02/03/15 03:09 AM
H
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
dawaba,

You're right, of course. But he is already a pretty fair country shot and seems immune to recoil, despite extended sessions with our .375s. He enjoys shooting and hunting, like all of us, but it's the space-age aspect of the advanced electronics that really get his juices flowing. And the price tag doesn't scare him much either.

Tell him to call me if he is interested

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: DStroud] #5579330 02/03/15 03:11 AM
H
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: DStroud
I have told Derrick this story but they(the TP system) obviously works. My boss lives in Austin and is friends with one of the buyers of a Tracking Point AR in .308. My boss is ...how can I say this nicely... he is not Chris Kyle.
He called me a few weeks ago when they were out hunting and I told him to try the Tracking point and see how it worked with him shooting it. It was really windy that day so I thought it would give them fits trying to hit at distance. He made a first shot hit on a 4 inch bulls-eye at 700 yards..... impressed me.
Now you have to use their ammo but folks who would go for this are probably not reloaders and would be fine with that I reckon.
To me its a novelty thing and would be fun to play with but not something I would consider for hunting... kinda like hunting pen raised deer.
bolt bolt

I want to shoot this one really bad, If I knew he was going to keep it I would go try it on a windy day and see. I tried looking through it and pushing buttons without reading the book but I could not figure out how to make it do anything special. It looks like a video game.

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5579377 02/03/15 03:34 AM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I have shot them at BOTW outside of Austin.

There is a TON of engineering that went into these but if your wind call is off, you are going to miss. Period.
If they ever get to where they can determine what the wind is doing along the entire flight path, not just where you are then they will be amazing.

Something no one has ever brought up but I have a strong suspicion the optics are going to suck in low light.

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: dawaba] #5579389 02/03/15 03:38 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
They are based in Austin. The guns do not miss once clicked onto the target, no matter if the target continues to move around.

Not 100% correct. Once the firing solution is entered (mainly wind), if the wind changes, it can miss, or be off target. You have to enter the correct wind values at the EXACT time of the shot for it to be 100% on. There are many times when it is very windy (15 mph +) and the wind changes speeds so fast you can not correct quick enough for a follow up shot to hit. The one we played with was a day we had some wind shooting at 800 to 1K yards. I was impressed with the trajectory it did, but not on the wind corrections it made. We had many misses right and left. A good shooter who can read wind correctly, IMO, will be better off with a traditional rifle. I also think spending the money on good ammo, and taking a shooting class and learning the skill, you will be better off.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5579398 02/03/15 03:41 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Don't get me wrong, it is a very cool system and I hope they can sell enough to make it work out for them, and keep improving their product. There is a market for it.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5579763 02/03/15 01:37 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Morning Horizon -

In my opinion having read the information so far - your client has more than enough money and has had a change of heart. He has asked you to consignment sell the item for whatever reason. Being this is a ULTRA-niche item and costly I would say not to try and find a buyer. Once the months drag on he'll either get down on the fact that it isn't moving which could take some winds out of his sails and perhaps start to develop into "awkward silence" for you guys OR you'll end up buying it off him and using it for yourself...

I think he'd understand based on the niche market and cost if you tell him you don't want to broker the deal.

As for the systems use, well I had a discussion with an outfitter/ranch who stated that TrackingPoint came out with a wounded warrior who was blind and after much effort in high heat the gentleman scored a nice kill on an exotic. It was relayed to me via first hand presence that TrackingPoint rewarded the Vet with the full setup! So in terms of the "market" for this product think about those folks who aren't fully mobile or have impediments where aim assistance might make or break the hunting sport for them.

HTXH

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: J.G.] #5580008 02/03/15 03:52 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Says a fellow shooter that knows what he's talking about.

From what I have read wind is one of the variables it cannot take into effect

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5580249 02/03/15 06:33 PM
G
gbeard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Way cheaper to buy a scope with a Horus reticle. Probably faster too

Re: Tracking point rifle? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5580289 02/03/15 07:00 PM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I think allot of people are looking at this with the wrong mentality. This isn't a replacement to modern day precision or hunting rifles, it's something else and it is being put on a multitude of platforms, not just bolt guns.

To me this is more of a military advantage weapon, especially when paired with the android heads up display keeping soldiers out of harms way while still allowing the shot to take place. It's also faster than a Horus reticle, take a look at some of the videos and you can see a guy run a course at 300,400, 500 faster than any of us could use a reticle to put down the correct hold and pull off the shot.

I think the price point is to high for common adoption, but that's the nature of all the R&D sunk costs that went into this - in 5 years I bet these are exponentially cheaper and more advanced. In this industry most of the time that cost is re-captured up front as a technology trickles from Military to civilian use, in this case it's going the other way which is why you are seeing the points so high at this time. It's also a great way to get some disabled people back behind a sport they love so much. Lots of good with this setup.

The fact that it can't do wind is an argument I don't understand - none of the scopes today do wind, neither does this one - still relys on the shooter to dial (although this WILL capture moving target speed)....

If I could put my range finder into my scope and then cram my Kestrel in there with it - why wouldn't you? That's all this is and it's damn good.

What don't like is the tagging and delayed fire - only use for that is military and hunting.

Auto dope adjustment based on instant range data is absolutely something anyone on here would want and use.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide