Print Thread
Looking inside the X-Sight bin files #5575107 01/31/15 08:30 PM
G
Grey Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
Just a starter; it is possible to look into the xsight.bin files using Linux and a program called vim. There are several different configurations of the program. I am using Vi Editor in the PCLinuxOS distribution of Linux. There is a lot of code, some sections mainly pertaining to wifi that you can read, and I was able to see that the xsight.bin file includes a free open sourced progam called Cherokee that is also used in GoPro. That being said, I am NOT the most techie. I have been a Linux enthusiast for the past 10 years and mainly modify things using a text editor. However for those whose abilities exceed mine, this will get you started.
DISCLAIMER: There is no harm in looking at the inner workings of a file, however, modifying it and then redistributing it most likely violates some copyrights. I do not know. I do know that many people make custom ROMs for smartphones and such. Legal? I don't know. Sachal, what say you? Do the programmers at ATN need or welcome any help?

Re: Looking inside the X-Sight bin files [Re: Grey] #5575998 02/01/15 06:08 AM
M
mikeee2 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

Grey,
I have been looking at the .bin files for a while now and it appears that there is a GoPro connection. I too am not a programmer so, for now, I'm just looking.

Connect wireless to scope and open 192.168.42.1/ in a browser. You will see the Ambarella screen mentioned in some of the GoPro hack sites I listed below.

In case you didn't see it, I posted the following in the .228 thread:

"I've been waiting for someone to find the Ambarella connection.

The strings in the firmware and its structure are very similar to the GoPro 3 which uses the A5 chipset and there are many other similarities. There are other cams which use the various Ambarella chipsets. I think they have understandably stripped out some functionality. If you are interested:

http://dc.p-mc.eu/

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/hero3-black-firmware-studies-physical-teardown-photos-t10016-20.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Stream-Your-GoPro-to-Your-PC-Using-VLC-Media-Player (This doesn’t seem to work with the X-Sight as some of the GoPro functionality seems to be missing, but it does show some interesting things. Use 192.168.1.42)

http://blog.infobytesec.com/2013/08/go-deep-pro-1-of-2.html

I tried to weigh in on the firmware rollback situation back in the .200 thread and got an inane reply which said that no-one ever goes back to a previous version of software and that you have to wait for the manufacturer to release a fix. This is known as the Microsoft Windows Syndrome. This was followed by a demeaning comment about punch cards. I refrained from further posts.

I've just been lurking since then and was gratified to be shown correct by dfwroadkill's brave experiment where he discovered you can revert to previous versions. I was too cowardly to try it myself. Thanks dfwroadkill!

I hope some of you bright young programmer types can play with this stuff and share your findings with us old guys.

Thanks,
mikeee
"

Re: Looking inside the X-Sight bin files [Re: Grey] #5576004 02/01/15 06:29 AM
M
mikeee2 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

Grey,
If you are looking for a hex editor for Linux which will show the .bin a little better than vim. I hope we can get some programmers to take interest.

http://www.wxhexeditor.org/

Hope this helps.
mikeee

Re: Looking inside the X-Sight bin files [Re: mikeee2] #5576361 02/01/15 05:12 PM
G
Grey Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
Also found some commands you can run in terminal on bin files. Using a Linux distro. My stripped down lean and mean Puppy Linux derivative did not support all these, so I tried PCLinuxOS with them. Albiet i do not understand what they all do.

Examining binary (bin) files

Re: Looking inside the X-Sight bin files [Re: Grey] #5585805 02/06/15 12:58 PM
M
MGP Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I opened my file in notepad to look at it and now im trying to revert back to 200 and it wont let me. Now the file is in notepad. How do I turn it back to what it was?

Re: Looking inside the X-Sight bin files [Re: MGP] #5585861 02/06/15 01:41 PM
M
MrKingLouie Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: MGP
I opened my file in notepad to look at it and now im trying to revert back to 200 and it wont let me. Now the file is in notepad. How do I turn it back to what it was?

You need to change the file extention back to .bin
or get the 200 firmware here, dont forget to rename it to
xsight.bin, before downgrade.

https://app.box.com/s/kabfjqdhem34k03c30st

/MKL

Re: Looking inside the X-Sight bin files [Re: MrKingLouie] #5585906 02/06/15 02:07 PM
M
MGP Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: MrKingLouie
Originally Posted By: MGP

You need to change the file extention back to .bin
or get the 200 firmware here, dont forget to rename it to
xsight.bin, before downgrade.

https://app.box.com/s/kabfjqdhem34k03c30st

/MKL

Ok how do I do that I just went to my desktop and the file looks correct but when I put it in my laptop it has the notepad look to it?

ETA: I just did a system restore to my laptop and its all good again don't know what happened but its fixed. I just wont open up the file in notepad ever again. Lol

Last edited by MGP; 02/06/15 03:09 PM.
Re: Looking inside the X-Sight bin files [Re: MGP] #5586075 02/06/15 03:19 PM
T
Tapper Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Notepad won't change the file at all unless you save it. You might also be allowing windows to "associate files with this extension to Notepad", which might have come up when you opened the file the first time. If you allowed the association, the file is still xsight.bin but windows would be using the notepad icon to display it in explorer.

Everywhere I go, there I am.
Re: Looking inside the X-Sight bin files [Re: Tapper] #5586172 02/06/15 04:01 PM
M
MGP Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: Tapper
Notepad won't change the file at all unless you save it. You might also be allowing windows to "associate files with this extension to Notepad", which might have come up when you opened the file the first time. If you allowed the association, the file is still xsight.bin but windows would be using the notepad icon to display it in explorer.

It was using the notepad icon until i did a system restore back to a few days ago before i opened the file in notepad and i don't recall it asking my anything.How would i turn that off if that's the case which i believe it is. Thanks Mike

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide