Print Thread
Velocity Crossbows? #5569393 01/28/15 07:14 PM
J
JHOG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Getting my first crossbow this year. Can't decide between the Velocity Defiant or the Barnett Jackal. The Jackal seems to be the standard for entry level crossbows and I am leaning towards that. But the Defiant is a really nice looking crossbow at a decent price. It shoots 325FPS which is awesome. There are not many reviews on that bow though.

Has anyone had any luck with either? I only have a $500 budget and that includes broadheads and bolts.

Thanks.

Re: Velocity Crossbows? [Re: JHOG] #5576265 02/01/15 04:02 PM
R
Reich Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Google out Wyvern crossbow and check the Wicked Ridge and Parker crossbows. Nothing against Barnett, but your hard earned money can be better spent. Both of the mentioned company's make great products. Consider checking Craigs list and buying a used 10 point. Good luck.

Re: Velocity Crossbows? [Re: JHOG] #5576283 02/01/15 04:16 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I started with the Barnett Jackal. I filled all my tags that year with it. I bought the version with the scope. I shot all my deer at 25 to 30 yards from a ground blind. It is a very loud and jumpy crossbow. I had to take all the screws out of it and put locktite on them (many of them loosened after 30 to 40 shots). Even with the downfalls of this bow, it is still very accurate.

I have since graduated to Parker and Carbon Express, which are faster, quieter and much more refined.

The Barnett Jackal is one of the most bought crossbows on the market and will do you fine for your first crossbow. You can buy one on sale for around $300 easy. That leaves enough money for good bolts, broad heads and a rest (suggest the Caldwell field pod). Deadly combo out of a brushed in pop up blind! I would resist spending more money on other accessories for this bow. Save that money and buy a lot better crossbow in a few years.

Last: I would never buy a used bow or crossbow from someone I didn't know. Too many things can be wrong with it and it is difficult to find them with a naked eye.

Re: Velocity Crossbows? [Re: JHOG] #5577594 02/02/15 04:57 AM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I have a Barnett jackal and have killed three deer with it this year. It is pretty accurate and the trigger is pretty good. I use NAP spitfire 125 grain mechanical broad heads and all shots were within 25 yards. It is a little loud, but I didn't have any issues with deer trying to jump the string. The main thing is to make sure you keep strings waxed and check screws for tightness as I think most bad reviews are because of these issues. Overall pretty happy with the purchase, definitely a good starter xbow.

Re: Velocity Crossbows? [Re: JHOG] #5578910 02/03/15 12:01 AM
L
letsgofishin Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
I have had the Barnett Quad 400 for several years and killed a number of deer with it. This year I only had a few days to hunt and I shot a spike with it at about 30 yards.
Even though it is fairly noisy it is so fast (345 fps) that before the deer reacts the arrow has passed through him. I forget exactly how many deer I have killed with it but the story has always been the same. The deer looks startled and the bolt is sticking in the ground already.

It is very accurate with field tips but when I shoot broad heads it is way off (even with mechanicals that claim same as field tips) At Academy they told me to use the Barnett expandable so I did. It's better but way off from the field tips. I just kind of zeroed it in between 20 & 30 yards. It is probably off an inch or so at 20 yards and maybe just a little more at 30 yards.
I tried all of the tricks I know including new bolts and adjusting the tip in relation to the vanes but that's the best I can get. All that being said it kills the deer just as dead!!!!
I have never in my 64 years seen a deer bleed out so juickly as the spike I shot this year! It almost seemed like I saw a hole all the way through him!

Last edited by letsgofishin; 02/03/15 01:56 AM.
Re: Velocity Crossbows? [Re: letsgofishin] #5580553 02/03/15 10:06 PM
L
letsgofishin Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: letsgofishin
I have had the Barnett Quad 400 for several years and killed a number of deer with it. This year I only had a few days to hunt and I shot a spike with it at about 30 yards.
Even though it is fairly noisy it is so fast (345 fps) that before the deer reacts the arrow has passed through him. I forget exactly how many deer I have killed with it but the story has always been the same. The deer looks startled and the bolt is sticking in the ground already.

It is very accurate with field tips but when I shoot broad heads it is way off (even with mechanicals that claim same as field tips) At Academy they told me to use the Barnett expandable so I did. It's better but way off from the field tips. I just kind of zeroed it in between 20 & 30 yards. It is probably off an inch or so at 20 yards and maybe just a little more at 30 yards.
I tried all of the tricks I know including new bolts and adjusting the tip in relation to the vanes but that's the best I can get. All that being said it kills the deer just as dead!!!!
I have never in my 64 years seen a deer bleed out so juickly as the spike I shot this year! It almost seemed like I saw a hole all the way through him!

After saying all of that:
When my Quad 400 quits working I plan to buy one of the Excaliber's even if it has to be used or one of the cheaper versions.

Last edited by letsgofishin; 02/03/15 10:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Velocity Crossbows? [Re: JHOG] #5581791 02/04/15 04:03 PM
J
JHOG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Thank you guys for all the input smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread