Strange To Me #5564073 01/26/15 12:36 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Just watched an episode of "Tracks Across Africa". Here's the nutshell:

Despite a perfect broadside opportunity at about 50 yards, guy makes a bad shot and wounds a leopard feeding on a bait. Since it was evening, they (wisely) wait until morning to track him. PH doesn't even let the client carry a weapon during the follow up-puts him way in the back, out of harms way. Leopard charges and PH makes an amazing head shot just before he reaches the tracker in the front (had the tracker moved sideways 4 feet or the PH missed he almost certainly would have been killed).

Yet, at the end of the show, the client is pictured with the trophy all smiling as the PH congratulates him.

Weird. I would have felt so bad about putting so many in danger there's no way I would act anything but contrite. Certainly would not have been smiling and accepting congratulations from the man who had to clean up the mess I made.....

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/26/15 12:36 AM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5564085 01/26/15 12:42 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I feel the same.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: Sneaky] #5564267 01/26/15 02:15 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I feel the same.

Me too. But there are those who do not feel as we do. On the other hand, the producers may have requested he act as he did.

[Linked Image]
Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5564294 01/26/15 02:27 AM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
This kind of thing is why I don't watch hunting shows anymore. Most of them seem fake, the celebrating after the kill shot is way over the top, and I can't stand how often they waste meat by waiting until the next day to recover game. I don't think they are a good representation of how most hunters approach the sport, and they make our pastime look bad to the non-hunting public.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5564373 01/26/15 02:58 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Guy makes a mistake and the hunt goes sideways. If he already made a bad shot and there's trackers and a PH around you want him to have a rifle and be up front? It's the PH's call on where the client is and if he has a gun. They can ask the client to not even be in the follow up party; PH's call. As you've stated, it's dangerous business. Although, even though leopards are the quickest and quietest charge when wounded, very few deaths occur. Lion is a different story. Yeah, they can mess you up bad and put you in the hospital fighting infection. I spoke with a PH at the Dallas Safari show a week ago that had recently (last season) got his arm mauled and elbow pretty much crushed by a leopard. He was in the hospital 2 weeks.

Leopard hunting, even at 50 yards, isn't always a slam dunk. This guy paid for his hunt to be videoed, but probably signed all kinds of waivers for them to use it on their show and yes, the producers probably want a smiling client at the end. Maybe the guy was contrite, we don't know. I'm acquainted with the guys and the company that make this show. I don't care for video cameras on hunts, but it's a business to them. I don't think the show is perfect, and I too regularly armchair quarterback, but there's a lot worse on the tube.

I've met the PH in that show. And the picture of the young PH on a stretcher with his arm bandaged is Ian Gibson (years ago). Ian just stayed at my house this past week.

I certainly wouldn't call the client at the end "all smiling". All he did was compliment his PH. That part certainly doesn't seem strange to me.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5564375 01/26/15 02:59 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
It's not a new phenomenon. The famous L.S. Chadwick ram was wounded by Chadwick. His guide Roy Hargreaves tracked the wounded ram for miles and killed him. Hardly anybody knows the name Roy Hargreaves though.....

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: rattler03] #5564376 01/26/15 02:59 AM
T
therock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: rattler03
This kind of thing is why I don't watch hunting shows anymore. Most of them seem fake, the celebrating after the kill shot is way over the top, and I can't stand how often they waste meat by waiting until the next day to recover game. I don't think they are a good representation of how most hunters approach the sport, and they make our pastime look bad to the non-hunting public.

Exactly!!

Re: Strange To Me [Re: Creekrunner] #5564397 01/26/15 03:05 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Guy makes a mistake and the hunt goes sideways. If he already made a bad shot and there's trackers and a PH around you want him to have a rifle and be up front? It's the PH's call on where the client is and if he has a gun. They can ask the client to not even be in the follow up party; PH's call. As you've stated, it's dangerous business. Although, even though leopards are the quickest and quietest charge when wounded, very few deaths occur. Lion is a different story. Yeah, they can mess you up bad and put you in the hospital fighting infection. I spoke with a PH at the Dallas Safari show a week ago that had recently (last season) got his arm mauled and elbow pretty much crushed by a leopard. He was in the hospital 2 weeks.

Leopard hunting, even at 50 yards, isn't always a slam dunk. This guy paid for his hunt to be videoed, but probably signed all kinds of waivers for them to use it on their show and yes, the producers probably want a smiling client at the end. Maybe the guy was contrite, we don't know. I'm acquainted with the guys and the company that make this show. I don't care for video cameras on hunts, but it's a business to them. I don't think the show is perfect, and I too regularly armchair quarterback, but there's a lot worse on the tube.

I've met the PH in that show. And the picture of the young PH on a stretcher with his arm bandaged is Ian Gibson (years ago). Ian just stayed at my house this past week.

I certainly wouldn't call the client at the end "all smiling". All he did was compliment his PH. That part certainly doesn't seem strange to me.

No, I don't want him up front. And, no, I'm not bashing how the deal went down. It happens. I get it.

But, yeah, the last part was strange to me. I wouldn't even allow my photo to be taken with the animal-much less pose for a grip and grin for TV purposes. I don't care what was signed.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: therock] #5564446 01/26/15 03:24 AM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: therock
Originally Posted By: rattler03

Exactly!!

I stopped watching hunting shows in 2004 or 2005 when I watched a beretta outdoors or something like that where a guy shot a mule deer that was lying down and they all high fived like they just won the Super Bowl.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5564510 01/26/15 03:51 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Well, how big was that muke deer?

Re: Strange To Me [Re: rifleman] #5564543 01/26/15 04:05 AM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Well, how big was that muke deer?

If I remember right it wasn't anything special. Ive seen better ones posted by members here but it has been a while so maybe it was a world record.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: SR025] #5564863 01/26/15 01:37 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I don't get all bent over legal things others celebrate or enjoy.

Seems a huge waste of effort to me, since it's out of my control.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5564924 01/26/15 02:22 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
There was a PH who used to put out a new hunting video every year full of charging cape buffalo and putting them down at the last second. From what I heard, but it was just rumors, he was intentionally getting them to charge in order to get it on film and he was investigated for endangering his clients and unethical hunting methods.

The PH I hunted with in SA over the summer had a client hunting leopard up in Zimbabwe just before we got there. Big money client who has been hunting with him for years, but is now getting older and has a bit of a drinking problem. He missed his leopard on three different nights at close range. He told me that he was never more terrified of having to deal with a wounded leopard then he was with that client.

Eddie

Re: Strange To Me [Re: therancher] #5564927 01/26/15 02:23 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher

Two words:

Tony Romo. smile

Re: Strange To Me [Re: EddieWalker] #5564936 01/26/15 02:26 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
There was a PH who used to put out a new hunting video every year full of charging cape buffalo and putting them down at the last second. From what I heard, but it was just rumors, he was intentionally getting them to charge in order to get it on film and he was investigated for endangering his clients and unethical hunting methods.

The PH I hunted with in SA over the summer had a client hunting leopard up in Zimbabwe just before we got there. Big money client who has been hunting with him for years, but is now getting older and has a bit of a drinking problem. He missed his leopard on three different nights at close range. He told me that he was never more terrified of having to deal with a wounded leopard then he was with that client.

Eddie

Yes, the PH you first mentioned was pretty much drummed out of the profession as I understand it.

The second guy should have refused to take the guy out IMO. I would say it's his skin/his choice-but a wounded leopard puts a lot of folks at risk.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5564946 01/26/15 02:30 PM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Two words:

Tony Romo. smile

I see your Tony Romo and raise you Johnny Manziel

Re: Strange To Me [Re: SR025] #5564954 01/26/15 02:32 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SR025

Two words:

Tony Romo. smile

I see your Tony Romo and raise you Johnny Manziel

grin

Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5565032 01/26/15 03:03 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Clue: I don't want the cowboys or romo banned. I do make fun of folks who like them. And it's all in fun. Never want to change anything about them or their fans or their preferences. See how easy that is?

grin

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5566222 01/27/15 01:37 AM
J
jeffbird Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
NP, I share your sentiments.

Props to the PH for taking control even though the TV crew was there. Leopards are a truly dangerous animal, and not to be underestimated. They can appear out of nowhere in an instant.

A few years ago, we went to Tanzania for a photo safari. One morning we took a break for tea (not kidding and it was quite good) and biscuits (cookies) at a supposedly "safe" spot.

While we are standing there enjoying our morning tea and biscuits, about 35 yards away this visitor steps out of a crack in the rocks to take a look. This visit was definitely not in the script.

Talk about a sobering moment. These are big animals and I can assure all they definitely earn instant respect. The only thing anyone had was a camera. Everyone was so frozen that very few actually took a photo.

There was nothing between me and him except 35 yards of dirt and short grass. This was one of the moments of my life that I will always remember.

Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5566244 01/27/15 01:48 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Wow! So cool Jeff!!

Re: Strange To Me [Re: jeffbird] #5566351 01/27/15 02:35 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Wow!

Bet there were lots of hearts pounding right then! Kudos to your photo shot. It took guts to even move, much less get a camera up for such an awesome pic!

I've had a coyote closer than that, and had no fear. If a bobcat was that close I'd be on edge. Big cats are not to be trifled with.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5566377 01/27/15 02:46 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Wow Jeff that is an awesome picture, I think that would give me a heart attack.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5566401 01/27/15 02:55 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Congratulations on an awesome picture. You've got the gift.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5566404 01/27/15 02:56 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
I'm glad they recovered the wounded animal. I'm guessing we all are.

If I've ever wounded an animal I get sick at my stomach yet when it's recovered I have a feeling of relief.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 01/27/15 02:59 AM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Strange To Me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5566840 01/27/15 01:54 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Wow! So cool Jeff!!

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread