Forums46
Topics537,937
Posts9,730,873
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5561198 01/24/15 02:33 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Man, all this discrimination! I never met a gun I didn't like.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5561223 01/24/15 02:45 AM
B
Buckeyesgt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I've bought a couple just because I liked the looks among other reasons. But I find I don't shoot them as much as the others because I don't want anything to happen to them. I just pull them out, caress them for a bit and put them back up. Stupid I know.

U.S. Army 90-94 98G Russian
U.S. Army Reserve 94-98 37F
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: P & Y] #5561296 01/24/15 03:30 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: P & Y
I'm guess I'll be the first to admit I prefer the look of carbon/fiberglass stocks and coated metal. I'm not into blued metal or wood stocks at all. Give me a manners or McMillan and some dark earth or od green cerakote and I'm happy.So long as it doesn't have a savage action!

I've always though stainless looks fine with a black synthetic stock, and as synthetics have become more varied in color and texture I think stainless looks fine in them also. I think stainless in a fine walnut stock is just plain weird and don't care for it at all.

I have a few rifles that are blued or finished to LOOK blued, wearing black synthetics. I don't really mind that at all and they're very good rifles. I value them highly for their utility. I just don't admire them much.

Fine lines and definitions, throw in subjective taste. We all like different stuff for the same reasons or the same stuff for different reasons. Every perspective is unique.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Stoney] #5561299 01/24/15 03:33 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
But this...I think all of us who are normal cheers would agree this is just plain hideous.

stir

Originally Posted By: Stoney
One word: Hideous

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: RiverRider] #5561372 01/24/15 04:19 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yall still at this?

Go before show.

I want it to run like a Singer sewing machine, shoot bugholes, and not get me busted by a coyote.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5561396 01/24/15 04:38 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: rifleman

First trip out with a browning abolt m1000 stainless eclipse I had the sling swivel break and it hit the ground flat on its side. In ETX that would've been fine, since it happened in Rocksprings it has a craters in it. Makes me sick all over again just thinking about it.

Hey, one more reason to love east TX! smile
Got a ding on my Sako going under a rock overhang while chasing my ram. I actually think that one is cool just because of how it got there/memories of the hunt and all....

Dang skippy.

Your ding will be memorable. Mine isn't all that memorable, just a dead axis, shot from the porch.

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5561411 01/24/15 04:45 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Mmmm...but then there's always "carry like a nice hunting rifle," JG. Go before show is a good philosophy, but what's going unrecognized is that rifles underwent evolution for centuries and became ever so gradually the Model 70 and what evolved from it afterward. Until the "tacticool" craze caught on. Some will agree with you that 14-pound rifles with giant freekin bolt handles and all kinds of stock doodads is what "go" all about...and for some purposes that may be true. For many of us, it's not..."go" is something else all together.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: rifleman] #5561417 01/24/15 04:48 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

First trip out with a browning abolt m1000 stainless eclipse I had the sling swivel break and it hit the ground flat on its side. In ETX that would've been fine, since it happened in Rocksprings it has a craters in it. Makes me sick all over again just thinking about it.

Hey, one more reason to love east TX! smile
Got a ding on my Sako going under a rock overhang while chasing my ram. I actually think that one is cool just because of how it got there/memories of the hunt and all....

Dang skippy.

Your ding will be memorable. Mine isn't all that memorable, just a dead axis, shot from the porch.

That's the funny thing about wood. It records history, and has done so throughout history. I guess that maybe in time we'll look at synthetic stocks and say they record history too, but only by being either still in use or in a landfill.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Buckeyesgt] #5561435 01/24/15 05:02 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Buckeyesgt
I've bought a couple just because I liked the looks among other reasons. But I find I don't shoot them as much as the others because I don't want anything to happen to them. I just pull them out, caress them for a bit and put them back up. Stupid I know.

Call me stupid. After taking a nice buck with my new Winchester Model 70 the first season after I bought it, it pretty much stays in the safe, except for an occasional trip to the range. There are others that may never leave the safe until they're given to the kids after my death.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: RiverRider] #5561448 01/24/15 05:09 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
That's the funny thing about wood. It records history, and has done so throughout history. I guess that maybe in time we'll look at synthetic stocks and say they record history too, but only by being either still in use or in a landfill.

That is so true. And sometimes those dings and cracks become linked to family events and legends.

There's an old shotgun in my wife's family with a cracked stock. The crack came at the hands of my wife's great grandfather when he used it to kill a wolf that had attacked her great grandmother when she had gone down to a peach orchard. She survived the attack but lost a breast as a result. As the account was told through the years, he had to use the gun to beat the wolf off the poor woman since shooting it might have injured his wife even worse.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5561451 01/24/15 05:12 AM
N
nsmike Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I like wood and blued metal and appreciate the patina of a well used but cared for gun. The Japanese use the term Wassabe for attractiveness or character developed thru use which describes what I like and why I tend to buy used guns. It might kill me to scratch a new gun, but adding to the wassabe of an item doesn't as long as it's expected wear.,

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5562634 01/25/15 02:52 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I like wood and blued steel. Always have.

But, I will say my accumark is dead sexy.

There are times when a synthetic rifle makes more sense than wood but for 80% of hunting a wood rifle is fine

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: RiverRider] #5562669 01/25/15 03:13 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Mmmm...but then there's always "carry like a nice hunting rifle," JG. Go before show is a good philosophy, but what's going unrecognized is that rifles underwent evolution for centuries and became ever so gradually the Model 70 and what evolved from it afterward. Until the "tacticool" craze caught on. Some will agree with you that 14-pound rifles with giant freekin bolt handles and all kinds of stock doodads is what "go" all about...and for some purposes that may be true. For many of us, it's not..."go" is something else all together.

Lightweight and balanced? You bet!

As long as nothig on it is shiny is alls I was meaning. I dont like gloss blued, or shiny stainless. Yes I need to get that fixed on a couple of my bolts.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5562689 01/25/15 03:22 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
My favorites have oil finished walnut stocks and mat blued metal finish.

Nothing fancy, that said one being that is in the works now will have a walnut stock, silver bolt handle and stainless barrel on a blued receiver, or at least that is what it will start off with, might coat it at some point and put the blued bolt handle back on it.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide