Forums46
Topics537,942
Posts9,730,901
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5559015 01/23/15 01:29 AM
F
FWBanger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
There's no prettier firearm than a "honey and smoke" stocked over/under with tasteful engraving. That said, I have never owned one. All of my shotguns are hunting guns and I would be eternally miserable if I scratched up a beautiful gun like that so both of my over/under shotguns have synthetic stocks. I am biased but the Browning Cynergy is the prettiest synthetic stocked over/under on the market. I bought a Marlin .357 carbine a few years ago and within an hour of owning it my god-son scraped it on a concrete step permanently scaring the wood stock. I figured that just meant that I didn't have to worry about scratching it because it was already done. If that had happened to a wood o/u stock I'd still be crying.

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: FWBanger] #5559099 01/23/15 02:05 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: FWBanger
There's no prettier firearm than a "honey and smoke" stocked over/under with tasteful engraving. That said, I have never owned one. All of my shotguns are hunting guns and I would be eternally miserable if I scratched up a beautiful gun like that so both of my over/under shotguns have synthetic stocks. I am biased but the Browning Cynergy is the prettiest synthetic stocked over/under on the market. I bought a Marlin .357 carbine a few years ago and within an hour of owning it my god-son scraped it on a concrete step permanently scaring the wood stock. I figured that just meant that I didn't have to worry about scratching it because it was already done. If that had happened to a wood o/u stock I'd still be crying.

I can sure relate to that aversion to beating up a nice piece of wood. That said, I've put enough scars on rifles through careless handling and plain ol' accidents and those really suck. I think it's a little different when it happens during a hunt, but it still bugs me. On the other hand, I have rifles that acquired dings before I owned them and I don't think they're so bad (obviously---I bought the rifles!). We're humans and humans are funny critters. I will admit though, when I know I am going to use my rifle to beat my way through heavy brush I take one with a synthetic stock.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5559116 01/23/15 02:10 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I like Browning X Bolt Medallions for pretty, I have one.

Utilitarian, Tikka T3.

One seems to shoot as well as the other. Big difference in price though.

I use the Tikkas more.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5559122 01/23/15 02:12 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Just not into pretty guns too much. I like guns in good shape, and have refinished a few wood stocks, but I would never pay more for a pretty stock.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: tth_40] #5559156 01/23/15 02:27 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: tth_40

It's odd because the X-Bolt Medallion basically violates every rule I *think* I have for what makes a rifle aesthetically pleasing, but I like the looks of them anyway. Like I am so fond of saying: humans are funny critters.

Okay, maybe it's just me then.
frown

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: RiverRider] #5559239 01/23/15 03:12 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

I can sure relate to that aversion to beating up a nice piece of wood. That said, I've put enough scars on rifles through careless handling and plain ol' accidents and those really suck. I think it's a little different when it happens during a hunt, but it still bugs me. On the other hand, I have rifles that acquired dings before I owned them and I don't think they're so bad (obviously---I bought the rifles!). We're humans and humans are funny critters. I will admit though, when I know I am going to use my rifle to beat my way through heavy brush I take one with a synthetic stock.

Some firearms seem to take on a more attractive appearance after decades of use, than when they were new. IMO, this is especially true of military weapons. Perhaps there's just something about war licks that makes it so.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5559329 01/23/15 03:47 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Man, you guys must be tough on your rifles...I've had my Remington 700 BDL 300 Mag for over 30 years and hunted with it for at least the first 15 years and it has one scratch on it...it looks almost new and shoots lights out.

I love beautiful walnut stock rifles! There's just something about them...they just look majestic... And I've never had a problem getting them to shoot...not the bolt actions.

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5559338 01/23/15 03:50 AM
H
hawk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Like my Winchester featherweights.....

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: RiverRider] #5559388 01/23/15 04:07 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

First trip out with a browning abolt m1000 stainless eclipse I had the sling swivel break and it hit the ground flat on its side. In ETX that would've been fine, since it happened in Rocksprings it has a craters in it. Makes me sick all over again just thinking about it.

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: RiverRider] #5559411 01/23/15 04:18 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: tth_40

It's odd because the X-Bolt Medallion basically violates every rule I *think* I have for what makes a rifle aesthetically pleasing, but I like the looks of them anyway. Like I am so fond of saying: humans are funny critters.

Okay, maybe it's just me then.
frown

Naah, actually I agree with you. I had a trial period on the looks of the X-Bolts but then I saw the White Gold Medallion. Then I handled it. Then I shot it. Then I got it. The darned thing just shoots wonderfully. VERY smooth.

Problem is, it's almost too pretty to hunt with.

Almost. cheers

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5559459 01/23/15 04:49 AM
S
Stoney Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
One word: Hideous

BAKEN-ET's Pro Staff
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: rifleman] #5559691 01/23/15 12:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman

First trip out with a browning abolt m1000 stainless eclipse I had the sling swivel break and it hit the ground flat on its side. In ETX that would've been fine, since it happened in Rocksprings it has a craters in it. Makes me sick all over again just thinking about it.

Hey, one more reason to love east TX! smile
Got a ding on my Sako going under a rock overhang while chasing my ram. I actually think that one is cool just because of how it got there/memories of the hunt and all....

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/23/15 12:52 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5559768 01/23/15 01:56 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
This is an interesting thread. I was always taught that Beauty is in eye of the beholder. Like most folks who came of age in the 1950's & 1960's, a well hand crafted firearm is what I respect most, and is usually constructed of finely polished deeply blued metal & highly figured wood with a deep rich oil finish and finely hand cut checkering.

Back when I was repping firearms in the 1980's, I was at a customer's in Enid, Oklahoma for my annual booking order of SAKO Safari grade 375H&H's and whatever else I could tempt my customer with. The customer, who also owned a small line of uniquely styled high grade producution rifles and catered exclusively to the Travelling Hunter segment of the rilfe business - this was not your local LGS schlepping Rem'Chesters, was tied up on the phone talking to a client in Europe, leaving me to wander his showroom for almost 2 hours.

After more than an hour of inspecting every last item on display, I gravitated to a particular older unique looking double rifle from a very prominent English maker, that had scars all over it from decades heavy use. The styling was not current with it small splinter forearm, folding leaf sights in meters & funny looking trigger guard with an extended finger grip holding a very plain looking double trigger setup and no recoil pad, but the craftsmanship was superb and more finely detailed than the same gun in new condition, sitting next to it.

When my customer, George Caswell at Champlin Arms, got off the phone, he asked if I was interested in purchasing the old styled early 1920's 375H&H Holland double gun, since I had shown so much interest I was in the process of indicating a solid YES, but after my surprise that I'd misread the price tag, shorting the price by a digit with my fat finger covering the bottom of the ticket, and not $3,750 but really $37,500 I begged off completely embarrassed.

The New Gun in the same model, with little or no "character & obvious history" had taken over 3 years to recieve from the initial order date and was priced at $75,000...and had no desirability to me at all even at my intial $3,750 price supposition.

Again beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the old gun's horn trigger guard and horn shadow butt plate, case hardening on the reciever, the quiet solid sounding snick on closing with the hand crafted perfect lockup etc, and reeked of the long history of being hand carried on Safari in Africa chasing Dangerous Game...and still has me by the heart....30 years later.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: HWY_MAN] #5560087 01/23/15 04:28 PM
L
landsurveyor Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
As many know I'm a fan of the old Tang Safety Ruger's (hate the stock triggers)to me they have the cleanest lines out there, nice wood, deep bluing and a great feel to them. They ain't fancy just functional old meat and potato's rifles. I have several that are far nicer but nothing catches my eye like the old Tang Safety's.
Agreed

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5560097 01/23/15 04:30 PM
S
senderoman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Bought a White Gold Medallion 7 years ago.Most beautiful rifle I ve ever seen.I cant bring myself to hunt with it.I grab my synthetic stocks aand abuse them.(brush/rain/stalking)

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: senderoman] #5560103 01/23/15 04:37 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: senderoman
Bought a White Gold Medallion 7 years ago.Most beautiful rifle I ve ever seen.I cant bring myself to hunt with it.I grab my synthetic stocks aand abuse them.(brush/rain/stalking)

I have to admit, if it's going to be bad weather or I know I'm going to be crawling through the thick stuff I'll take the synthetic stocked Tikkas. cheers

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5560228 01/23/15 05:28 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
M
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
This is an interesting thread. I was always taught that Beauty is in eye of the beholder. Like most folks who came of age in the 1950's & 1960's, a well hand crafted firearm is what I respect most, and is usually constructed of finely polished deeply blued metal & highly figured wood with a deep rich oil finish and finely hand cut checkering.

Back when I was repping firearms in the 1980's, I was at a customer's in Enid, Oklahoma for my annual booking order of SAKO Safari grade 375H&H's and whatever else I could tempt my customer with. The customer, who also owned a small line of uniquely styled high grade producution rifles and catered exclusively to the Travelling Hunter segment of the rilfe business - this was not your local LGS schlepping Rem'Chesters, was tied up on the phone talking to a client in Europe, leaving me to wander his showroom for almost 2 hours.

After more than an hour of inspecting every last item on display, I gravitated to a particular older unique looking double rifle from a very prominent English maker, that had scars all over it from decades heavy use. The styling was not current with it small splinter forearm, folding leaf sights in meters & funny looking trigger guard with an extended finger grip holding a very plain looking double trigger setup and no recoil pad, but the craftsmanship was superb and more finely detailed than the same gun in new condition, sitting next to it.

When my customer, George Caswell at Champlin Arms, got off the phone, he asked if I was interested in purchasing the old styled early 1920's 375H&H Holland double gun, since I had shown so much interest I was in the process of indicating a solid YES, but after my surprise that I'd misread the price tag, shorting the price by a digit with my fat finger covering the bottom of the ticket, and not $3,750 but really $37,500 I begged off completely embarrassed.

The New Gun in the same model, with little or no "character & obvious history" had taken over 3 years to recieve from the initial order date and was priced at $75,000...and had no desirability to me at all even at my intial $3,750 price supposition.

Again beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the old gun's horn trigger guard and horn shadow butt plate, case hardening on the reciever, the quiet solid sounding snick on closing with the hand crafted perfect lockup etc, and reeked of the long history of being hand carried on Safari in Africa chasing Dangerous Game...and still has me by the heart....30 years later.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Yes, no doubt a unique and beautiful firearm is very much like a beautiful woman. Once you get the chance to hold one in your hands, the experience stays with you forever.

Thanks for sharing.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5560246 01/23/15 05:37 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
nothing makes a firearm (rifle) look any more sexy than a Schmidt and Bender mounted on top of it... wink

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: senderoman] #5560546 01/23/15 08:22 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: senderoman

And that's why I would never pay extra for a pretty gun. In my opinion, a gun is nothing more than a tool. A utilitarian device with a purpose. Unless I'm blessed So much that some day money is of no object to me and I can spend as much as I want when I want, I'll never own a gun I won't use. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on something that just sits in a safe. But everybody is different. It's not my thing, but I know a lot of guys who just enjoy the ownership of certain guns.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5560754 01/23/15 10:16 PM
W
Wader Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I hunt with different rifles depending on where and how I am hunting. I LOVE a deep blue and pretty wood, but when I am heading into an east texas swamp I am taking a beater gun that I will feel zero remorse if it has to serve as a tent pole, pry bar, club, or paddle - not to mention dealing with the typical briars, blackberry, locust trees, and bouncing around in a jon boat. I save the pretty rifles for sitting in a blind on farm land.

All that said, the absolute most beautiful guns to me, are those that have been handed down by my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. The years of use and the stories my dad tells about being a kid running around in the woods with those fine men adds a patina that money can't buy.

-ww

Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein
A thousand reasoned opinions never equal to one case of diving in and finding out.
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5560810 01/23/15 10:57 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
To me, wood stock guns are blondes and synthetics are brunettes.

I love blondes, always have, but I keep dating brunettes...

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5560811 01/23/15 10:57 PM
T
texaspatriot.308 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Ruger Number 1s.

TexasPatriot.308
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5560818 01/23/15 11:04 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
There is no one size fits all for me, but I know it when I see it.

From a Ferguson Breech to a stainless and dark wood gripped 1911 to
a r700 wearing a McMillan A5. I'm not sure what they have in common.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5561000 01/24/15 01:00 AM
P
P & Y Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I'm guess I'll be the first to admit I prefer the look of carbon/fiberglass stocks and coated metal. I'm not into blued metal or wood stocks at all. Give me a manners or McMillan and some dark earth or od green cerakote and I'm happy.So long as it doesn't have a savage action!

Re: What makes a firearm attractive and with good looks? [Re: Texas Dan] #5561006 01/24/15 01:04 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
A Mcmillan Swirl with the right colors
A fluted Barrel
Fluted bolt
A Kampfeld cerakote job
a good matte colored scope
and small groups