Forums46
Topics538,034
Posts9,732,182
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy] #5558107 01/22/15 06:16 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
For many years it has been my belief that a deer, when hit with the bullet, does not associate that with any sort of pursuit. They feel a sting and than weakness. Once in cover, if left alone long enough and not chased, they will weaken, wobble, often lean on a tree if one is handy, then fall or lay down. No need to run in circles or random patterns. But, if you immediately jump down from your blind and start making racket trailing them, with all your civilian 782 gear banging around they'll often get into overdrive and run way further than you'd think possible.

The worst sound you can hear is the crashing and banging made by a big buck realizing that he's being pursued and getting up off the ground and hitting high gear. Give em time to die. My grandfather always said he'd take the time to have a cigaret. I don't smoke, but I'll usually give them 15 minutes before I begin the walk to where they were. Of course there's often, when the light is fading fast, the decision as do I go look now (while there's light) and risk getting the deer moving again, or wait the full 15. Normally, with my aging eyes, I'll risk going while there is light. That almost cost me that big 9 point I got this year. He was weak and down, but he wasn't dead. He just didn't quite have the energy to get up and run far.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy] #5558124 01/22/15 06:22 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
peep
I killed 2 deer with my .270, both perfect shots, one ran 60 yards, the other ran 250 yards. GF shot one with .223, marginal shot at the front of the shoulder, ran 25 yards. stir stir stir

Although hers ran the direction he was facing up

Last edited by DuckCoach1985; 01/22/15 06:23 PM.
Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: Texas Dan] #5558186 01/22/15 06:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Generally speaking, and just my opinion, a deer that's been hit will run forward, while a miss may cause it to run in any direction. The surroundings play a role as well. For example, a deer will likely seek cover quickly, meaning one that walks from the edge of a wooded area and into a food plot, will likely run back if shot at and missed. And if he's been hit, he just wants to get away quickly without taking the extra time and effort to turn around.

The point not to be missed is that the shooter should be able to account for what if any reaction the deer made at the time of the shot, such as kicking the hind legs (as often happens with a gut shot), or jerking the front legs (as often the case with a good heart/lung shot). Otherwise, they most likely had their eyes closed in anticipation of the blast. Concentrating on keeping the eyes open to be sure to see the deer's reaction to the shot is a good way to overcome flinching. I've never thought about it, but perhaps targets that change color at the point of impact is a good way to practice that.

They might do anything. The only thing I might be willing to even broadly generalize about is that they will usually go the direction they were headed-at least initially.

Kicking the hind legs is not the general sign of a gut shot. It is generally the sign of a killing boiler room shot. If there is any sign of a gut shot it is hunching up at the shot.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy] #5558197 01/22/15 06:59 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Shot my buck 3 years ago, good double lung behind the shoulder shot. He fell over at the shot stood up ran a 10-20 yard 1/2 circle and stopped in the middle of the sender I shot him in and looked around for 10 or so seconds with blood pooring out his side till he got wobbly and fell over.

Whoever said there is no telling what they will do wins in my vote.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy] #5559185 01/23/15 02:40 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
We had a funny bull session at the camp last Friday night, with a topic that would have lasted until dawn if the beer hadn't run out.

One of the guys said - based on his observations - if a deer is hit and doesn't drop on the spot it always runs in the direction it was facing at the shot. But with a clean miss, the deer always turns around and runs in the direction from which it was coming.

Half the guys agreed this is generally true. The other half said hell no, it's just the opposite - a hit deer always turns around before running. The third half said they could not offer an opinion either way because every deer they shoot drops on the spot, nor have they ever missed.

(We always seem to break into three halves at the camp when a topic like this comes up, which isn't easy unless the ratio of beer to men is 5:1 or higher. cheers )

Anyway, I told them I would see what the guys on the Texas Hunting Forum though about this, even though I'm not sure Texas deer behave the same as Louisiana deer.

So, what's your opinion?
roflmao cheersI like y'alls style...I've seen 'em run the way their head was facing most times when they were hit. That's a great topic around the fire.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy] #5559189 01/23/15 02:42 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Of course Louisiana deer are backwards, sooooo bolt

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy] #5559988 01/23/15 03:31 PM
C
cp50948 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Thy usually just R-U-N-N-O-F-T

Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: titan2232] #5560009 01/23/15 03:50 PM
1riot1ranger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Should be enough online videos to get a decent percentage either way. Axis IMO will always turn and run in the direction they came from (and quite quickly).

That's been my experience too. It might be because they are coming out of brush into a clearing and they run back into the brush but anyway, that is what I've generally seen Axis do. White Tail are just DRT stir

Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: redchevy] #5560040 01/23/15 04:04 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I asked my dad what he thought. He said "They run forward, ever see one run in reverse?" Guess he's right.

Not on a deer, but yes we have shot hogs that threw it in reverse after being shot. And I have seen plenty of video of bucks jumping up on back legs and falling over backwards if that counts.

Dad said "The question was which way do they run, not fall." lol35

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: stxranchman] #5560302 01/23/15 06:09 PM
D
DustyWyoming Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have had them run every direction from a hit or miss. Shoot at or hunt enough deer and they will make a liar out of you in hurry when you think you have them figured out.

Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy] #5560511 01/23/15 08:09 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Away

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: hook_n_line] #5560551 01/23/15 08:24 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I asked my dad what he thought. He said "They run forward, ever see one run in reverse?" Guess he's right.

Last year I had a doe run straight into the woods, and then double back over her own trail and cut hard right at the woodsline. I'm guessing she got dizzy and fell and stood back up facing the direction she came, but it threw me for a loop. Tons of blood, very strong trail, and then it just completely turned off about 50 yards back (because the trail coming back was obviously just over the original).

Started doing big circles and eventually just ran into her and then followed the blood trail backwards, but I didn't figure out what she had done until that point.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide