Forum Stats
60476 Members
45 Forums
476126 Topics
6245924 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5557101 - 01/21/15 10:42 PM Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run?
BayouGuy Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: S.E. Louisiana
We had a funny bull session at the camp last Friday night, with a topic that would have lasted until dawn if the beer hadn't run out.

One of the guys said - based on his observations - if a deer is hit and doesn't drop on the spot it always runs in the direction it was facing at the shot. But with a clean miss, the deer always turns around and runs in the direction from which it was coming.

Half the guys agreed this is generally true. The other half said hell no, it's just the opposite - a hit deer always turns around before running. The third half said they could not offer an opinion either way because every deer they shoot drops on the spot, nor have they ever missed.

(We always seem to break into three halves at the camp when a topic like this comes up, which isn't easy unless the ratio of beer to men is 5:1 or higher. cheers )

Anyway, I told them I would see what the guys on the Texas Hunting Forum though about this, even though I'm not sure Texas deer behave the same as Louisiana deer.

So, what's your opinion?

#5557107 - 01/21/15 10:44 PM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have had them run every direction from a hit or miss. Shoot at or hunt enough deer and they will make a liar out of you in hurry when you think you have them figured out.

#5557111 - 01/21/15 10:46 PM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: stxranchman]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have had them run every direction from a hit or miss. Shoot at or hunt enough deer and they will make a liar out of you in hurry when you think you have them figured out.

Couldn't agree more.

I will say that in some places, it seems that the deer have an escape plan already in mind. Many of the deer I have shot at my place in Texas will take the exact same path and have had more than a few die within 10-15 yards of previous deer. (this is with a bow).

#5557176 - 01/21/15 11:36 PM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy]
Anytimeoutdoors1 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Springbranch tx.
^^^ they said it best.
Every deer is diffrent. I've had them do both. Depends how well they are hit to I think dictates were and how they run. I've had deer with bullet and arrow double lung hit not make a move then take a few steps like "what happend?" Then they try to run and fall over.
I tend to neck shoot deer most of the time with rifle to save the meat.
anytimeoutdoors@gmail.com

#5557297 - 01/22/15 06:14 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
From what I have seen they always go "thataway"

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5557347 - 01/22/15 06:54 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: Western]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: Western

Unless you are shooting a ML on a calm day and then it can be wtf and where did they go?

#5557429 - 01/22/15 07:36 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy]
titan2232 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Conroe, TX
Should be enough online videos to get a decent percentage either way. Axis IMO will always turn and run in the direction they came from (and quite quickly).

#5557451 - 01/22/15 07:46 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Generally speaking, and just my opinion, a deer that's been hit will run forward, while a miss may cause it to run in any direction. The surroundings play a role as well. For example, a deer will likely seek cover quickly, meaning one that walks from the edge of a wooded area and into a food plot, will likely run back if shot at and missed. And if he's been hit, he just wants to get away quickly without taking the extra time and effort to turn around.

The point not to be missed is that the shooter should be able to account for what if any reaction the deer made at the time of the shot, such as kicking the hind legs (as often happens with a gut shot), or jerking the front legs (as often the case with a good heart/lung shot). Otherwise, they most likely had their eyes closed in anticipation of the blast. Concentrating on keeping the eyes open to be sure to see the deer's reaction to the shot is a good way to overcome flinching. I've never thought about it, but perhaps targets that change color at the point of impact is a good way to practice that.

Spring, Texas

#5557487 - 01/22/15 07:58 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: stxranchman]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Unless you are shooting a ML on a calm day and then it can be wtf and where did they go?

True, but they always go "thataway" fo sho grin

I'll be honest though, I never paid attention, usually fall right there or you see where they ran. My wife's 1st and only buck a couple of years ago did get me. She shot and deer went everywhere, I saw it run in the direction it was facing, she swore it ran into the woods, then doubled back across the food plot (very small plot). Sure enough, it had doubled back and fell on the opposite side of where she shot it. I made the cardinal sin and started hugging her seconds after the shot, taking my eyes off the situation scared

Dennis

#5557541 - 01/22/15 08:13 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: Western]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

True, but they always go "thataway" fo sho grin

I'll be honest though, I never paid attention, usually fall right there or you see where they ran. My wife's 1st and only buck a couple of years ago did get me. She shot and deer went everywhere, I saw it run in the direction it was facing, she swore it ran into the woods, then doubled back across the food plot (very small plot). Sure enough, it had doubled back and fell on the opposite side of where she shot it. I made the cardinal sin and started hugging her seconds after the shot, taking my eyes off the situation scared

I shot a doe in ML season this year on a dark, over cast foggy morning with zero wind. After the shot I had nothing but smoke in front of me for about 5 or so seconds. eek The doe was in the road next to an old fenceline. She was standing in the road facing the old fenceline and there was a well used deer trail in front of her. Deer ran all directions after the shot. When it cleared I had no deer on the ground and none in sight anywhere. I waited and walked to my Ranger that was parked across the old fenceline and drove towards the well used deer trail she was facing at the shot. I checked for blood on the road I parked on and then on the trail. Walked towards where I thought she was standing and no blood. Immediately found her tracks in the soft ground and she had bolted and ran directly away from me. She was laying 20 yards down the road in taller grass. She had made a 90 deg right turn and ran directly away from me after the shot. Had she been in very tall grass it would have been an interesting trail to recover her that morning. I will rethink where a deer is standing when shooting does in the future with the ML. I always range them so I have a starting point when I get down to the location.
The buck I shot this year I made sure he was facing west when I shot. He ran west for a few jumps then turned SE and ran a ways. He then turned NE and died running. He was heading back the direction he had came in from.

#5557561 - 01/22/15 08:19 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Yes sir, some run 200 yards and fall 30 from where they where shot, go figure....

Dennis

#5557627 - 01/22/15 08:45 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: stxranchman]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

yep

#5557636 - 01/22/15 08:48 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

I was guiding a young lady one morning and she shot a nice little 8 point, the deer mule kicked, and ran off the direction it was facing...we gave it a little time and went to look, (in the direction it ran off) we looked for 2 hours...started to get real disappointed...I made one last sweep and for some reason I went the opposite direction that the deer ran off which was to the right, I found the buck about 75 yards to the LEFT of the way we thought it went. I guess when it ran off it made a circle and we didn't see it come back the other way...crazy

#5557649 - 01/22/15 08:57 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: BayouGuy]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

They run away.

#5557683 - 01/22/15 09:11 AM Re: Hit Deer/Missed Deer - Which Way Do They Run? [Re: stxranchman]
USMCatfish Offline
Tracker

Loc: Crowley,Texas

From what I have seen have to agree with this.

But I would say I have had higher percent tracking a hit deer going with the path of less resistance then the harder path when we find them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide