Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Protein mix #5554215 01/20/15 08:28 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
On another forum there is a ranch heavily promoting a new protein blend/mix and saying it has added a lot of pounds to their deer not to mention inches of horn growth and all of this after feeding this protein blend for one year. The deer are impressive and that may be the case but I have done quite a bit of research comparing their ingredients to other feed company blends. Supposedly the difference is these guys are adding peanuts into their mixture which increases the fat content. Otherwise their blend is very similar to several other feed store blends I have looked at. The other potential issue is that peanuts can carry a toxin that sterilizes deer so it is important for the peanuts to be tested by the feed store.

Their cost is fairly more expensive than any of the others I have looked at. I am just curious if there is really that much difference between the protein mixtures of the top feed store/brands. We want to feed top end protein to our deer but also have to consider cost as well. I am curious as to others thoughts on this.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5554238 01/20/15 08:39 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I feed goats peanut hay and at some time during reading about peanut hay and its effects on goats, there was a reference to something in peanuts that can cause a billy to be come sterile. The sterility was not permanent and part of the sterilization was attributed to billies laying around with their scrotums on the hot ground during the summer months. Not taking up necessarily for their protein, but hard to believe that permanent sterilization would be a by product of all the good bucks produced that have come off of peanut fields. Anything to excess can be harmful.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5554287 01/20/15 09:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Where these deer native deer to the ranch? Who is the feed manufacturer? If it sounds to good to be true, then usually it is to good to be true. Never seen a feed label with genetics on it. Purina used to use peanut meal in their rations years ago.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Protein mix [Re: stxranchman] #5554314 01/20/15 09:24 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Where these deer native deer to the ranch? Who is the feed manufacturer? If it sounds to good to be true, then usually it is to good to be true. Never seen a feed label with genetics on it. Purina used to use peanut meal in their rations years ago.

yes all native deer. DFG Feed in Dilley and name of their protein is Double Down.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5554329 01/20/15 09:30 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I could believe a large improvement if he hadn't been feeding at all, or was only feeding corn, but most of these feeds in the 16-20% protein range are all going to have about the same effect/results. I don't think there's a 'miracle' feed that is going to have 50-100% improvements in gains versus the other feeds.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5554335 01/20/15 09:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: tlk

yes all native deer. DFG Feed in Dilley and name of their protein is Double Down.

I would be very leery of using this product. I would also let a lot of others be the guinea pig on it. 2cents I would call my feed supplier to get his honest opinion and take on it also. The difference between feeds these days is the mineral, trace mineral and vitamin package in them as they are more important than the protein IMO.

Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5554337 01/20/15 09:37 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Supposed results, scroll down

So, 4 already large deer added a combined 135" versus the year before, in a year when we had more rain?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5554345 01/20/15 09:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I can show pics of bucks that added that amount of inches and more a regular ration from L/E. I will also agree it rained a lot more this year at the right times.
I know of a ranch in central Texas that bought into a feed company hype about their ration only needed a 3/4lb per day consumption rate. The feed cost about $80 more per ton than his regular feed. So the ranch fed it for one year. His deer ate just as much of the new feed at $80/ton more than his old feed. His quality on his top end bucks did not improve any. He switched back to his old feed with less cash in his bank account.

Re: Protein mix [Re: stxranchman] #5554371 01/20/15 10:05 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
the other possibility I thought about is the deer are more attracted to the feed due to the peanuts so they end up consuming more and therefore ingest more protein -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5554534 01/21/15 12:05 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have never had a problem getting deer to eat protein. I am more concerned about the mineral/vitamin package and their ratios nowdays vs protein. You have to get that protein to the antlers, that is the key. Just because a deer will eat more does not make it better. The feed company selling the feed will love that part though since they get to pull through your gate more often.

Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5554874 01/21/15 03:30 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Money back guarantee?

Re: Protein mix [Re: stxranchman] #5555113 01/21/15 06:29 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I have never had a problem getting deer to eat protein. I am more concerned about the mineral/vitamin package and their ratios nowdays vs protein. You have to get that protein to the antlers, that is the key. Just because a deer will eat more does not make it better. The feed company selling the feed will love that part though since they get to pull through your gate more often.

What is your favorite protein feed? Lot of opinions out there, but want to know yours.

Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5555745 01/21/15 05:31 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Believe he feeds L&E

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5555756 01/21/15 05:38 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Most protein is going to be made out of almost identical mixes.. they will have a few different this and that's but to me its like debating the best molded cooler.. they are all nice they are all around the same cost. All about who you get it from these days rather than what brand your getting

Re: Protein mix [Re: Navasot] #5555767 01/21/15 05:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

What is your favorite protein feed? Lot of opinions out there, but want to know yours.

I fed Acco for one truck load 25 yrs ago. Fed Purina for 13 yrs and now have fed L/E for 12 yrs.
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Most protein is going to be made out of almost identical mixes.. they will have a few different this and that's but to me its like debating the best molded cooler.. they are all nice they are all around the same cost. All about who you get it from these days rather than what brand your getting

Most every feed mill will have their own ration they use to make their feeds. Some use the same nutritionist but still make different feeds. The good ones will not tell you what is all in their feeds. The end result might be the same for two different ranches on two different feeds and those feeds might be night and day different in what goes in. The state tells you what you have to have as far as min/max levels on the label. So they might appear to be the same but will feed much differently to the animal.

Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5555818 01/21/15 06:01 PM
S
Steven Bates Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I hunt pretty small tracts of property so buying protein in large quantities is kind of pointless. I basically feed 4 things.
Record Rack, corn, Rice Bran, and the occasional sweet feed.

the corn and Rice Bran are really more about attraction and the Record Rack is how I try and get protein to them.
South Arkansas deer are a lot different than Texas deer and in some of the areas I hunt they won't come near a feeder (at least not mature deer) I'm going to try trough style feeders and see if they will use them but most of the time they want it straight off the ground or off a stump. The trough would help because I wouldn't have to make nearly as many trips in and out .....

Bass Cat Boats..... "FEEL THE RUSH"
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5555825 01/21/15 06:05 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Don't believe the stereotype... not all texas deer lay on their backs under a feeder with their mouth open.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5555855 01/21/15 06:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Mature deer eat a feeder due to drought or being born/raised eating around/out of them. You have to feed year round so they are raised on feed to see your best results.

Re: Protein mix [Re: redchevy] #5555912 01/21/15 06:30 PM
S
Steven Bates Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Don't believe the stereotype... not all texas deer lay on their backs under a feeder with their mouth open.

Oh no, I'm sure they don't. It does seem like it's easier in Texas to get deer on feed than most other places.... but I'm sure that's just perception and real world isn't quite like that. didn't mean to stereotype all Texas deer.

Bass Cat Boats..... "FEEL THE RUSH"
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5555949 01/21/15 06:40 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I havnt seen one place that the deer didn't take to protein well.... at all. So your not to far off your assumption imo.

Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5557120 01/22/15 04:51 AM
C
Corn Head Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
This protein is what the Nunley Chittim Ranch has been feeding for a couple of years now. I believe the new Double Down feed has around 1000 lbs of cottonseed meal and peanuts per ton on top of a very well put together mineral pack. The Holden Pasture hunters along with DF&G wildlife supply put the custom blend together. I don't believe Purina or L&E have anything to offer even close to that protein pellet. The ranch harvested 2 bucks over 200 inches, 2 bucks over 190 and 2 more bucks over 180 this season on their low fence deer lease. I think both of the 200" bucks put approximately 50 to 60 inches on from last season to this season. One thousand pounds of CS meal and peanuts per ton! That's a different feed all together. I think DF&G has it priced at around 12.50 per bag on their custom feed blend.
It's getting a lot of attention, I talked to a gentleman yesterday at DF&G and he told me they can't make it fast enough. He did say they deliver in bulk also and Im sure it would be cheeper that way. It seems very fair priced considering what the feed consist of.

Last edited by Corn Head; 01/22/15 04:58 AM.
Re: Protein mix [Re: Corn Head] #5557926 01/22/15 04:53 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Corn Head
This protein is what the Nunley Chittim Ranch has been feeding for a couple of years now. I believe the new Double Down feed has around 1000 lbs of cottonseed meal and peanuts per ton on top of a very well put together mineral pack. The Holden Pasture hunters along with DF&G wildlife supply put the custom blend together. I don't believe Purina or L&E have anything to offer even close to that protein pellet. The ranch harvested 2 bucks over 200 inches, 2 bucks over 190 and 2 more bucks over 180 this season on their low fence deer lease. I think both of the 200" bucks put approximately 50 to 60 inches on from last season to this season. One thousand pounds of CS meal and peanuts per ton! That's a different feed all together. I think DF&G has it priced at around 12.50 per bag on their custom feed blend.
It's getting a lot of attention, I talked to a gentleman yesterday at DF&G and he told me they can't make it fast enough. He did say they deliver in bulk also and Im sure it would be cheeper that way. It seems very fair priced considering what the feed consist of.

At 1000 lbs per ton do you know if they are testing the peanuts and CS meal for gossypol and aflatoxin? That is a high percentage of CS meal and peanuts and these two items are known to have these toxins on occasion and can potentially cause real damage to a herd. I have asked before and never got an answer - just curious if you know if they are testing it?

You can't fix stupid
Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5558144 01/22/15 06:30 PM
C
Corn Head Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: Corn Head

At 1000 lbs per ton do you know if they are testing the peanuts and CS meal for gossypol and aflatoxin? That is a high percentage of CS meal and peanuts and these two items are known to have these toxins on occasion and can potentially cause real damage to a herd. I have asked before and never got an answer - just curious if you know if they are testing it?

After reading your post I was curious as well and contacted the gentleman at DF&G Wildlife Supply and he said all products have been tested and approved. The mineral pack and other products in the feed he said were protected by trade secrets. Very nice guy I spoke with today also. It is an interesting story how the Double Down feed got started. The hunters that worked with DF&G on the DD produced their best bucks ever over all this season with only 9" of rain fall at their lease in Maverick co. The group also stopped feeding cotton seed on over 12000 acres of the 14000 acre ranch as a test last year. Amazing results the ranch had this year to say the least. It's about 1.00 a bag more than what we paid for the previous brand of protein we were using but I am all in and have started feeding already.

Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5561500 01/24/15 05:55 AM
F
FISH TAILS Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Hey this is Josh I have not posted much on here usually just look for guns and stuff, but I saw this thread and felt I wanted to post to it. I have hunted several places in south Texas and been a guest on the Nunley Chittum a few times before this year. I decided to become a lease member this year and all I can say is wow! The lease members and ranch manger have sheds and video of deer that I have watched and videod this year that have become true monsters. The are some that put on 15" and some that put on 50"+. I have video of an 8 last year that is a 15 this year. I am truly looking forward to seeing what another year on this feed does to the deer here. I think the Doulbe Down Deer feed is without question the best on the market!

Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk] #5565675 01/26/15 08:25 PM
B
BRYCE Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I'm in the hill country hunting low fenced 1000 acres. We are considering protein and heard that cotton seed was the way to go since cows, hogs, etc wont eat it. Do anyone just use round pins filled with cotton seed as their protein? Results?

If you like it where do you get it, etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide