475759 Topics
6241061 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5554215 - 01/20/15 02:28 PM Protein mix
tlk Online   content
Pro Tracker

On another forum there is a ranch heavily promoting a new protein blend/mix and saying it has added a lot of pounds to their deer not to mention inches of horn growth and all of this after feeding this protein blend for one year. The deer are impressive and that may be the case but I have done quite a bit of research comparing their ingredients to other feed company blends. Supposedly the difference is these guys are adding peanuts into their mixture which increases the fat content. Otherwise their blend is very similar to several other feed store blends I have looked at. The other potential issue is that peanuts can carry a toxin that sterilizes deer so it is important for the peanuts to be tested by the feed store.

Their cost is fairly more expensive than any of the others I have looked at. I am just curious if there is really that much difference between the protein mixtures of the top feed store/brands. We want to feed top end protein to our deer but also have to consider cost as well. I am curious as to others thoughts on this.

#5554238 - 01/20/15 02:39 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
BenBob Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Undercover
I feed goats peanut hay and at some time during reading about peanut hay and its effects on goats, there was a reference to something in peanuts that can cause a billy to be come sterile. The sterility was not permanent and part of the sterilization was attributed to billies laying around with their scrotums on the hot ground during the summer months. Not taking up necessarily for their protein, but hard to believe that permanent sterilization would be a by product of all the good bucks produced that have come off of peanut fields. Anything to excess can be harmful.

#5554287 - 01/20/15 03:04 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Where these deer native deer to the ranch? Who is the feed manufacturer? If it sounds to good to be true, then usually it is to good to be true. Never seen a feed label with genetics on it. Purina used to use peanut meal in their rations years ago.

#5554314 - 01/20/15 03:24 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: stxranchman]
tlk Online   content
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Where these deer native deer to the ranch? Who is the feed manufacturer? If it sounds to good to be true, then usually it is to good to be true. Never seen a feed label with genetics on it. Purina used to use peanut meal in their rations years ago.

yes all native deer. DFG Feed in Dilley and name of their protein is Double Down.

#5554329 - 01/20/15 03:30 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I could believe a large improvement if he hadn't been feeding at all, or was only feeding corn, but most of these feeds in the 16-20% protein range are all going to have about the same effect/results. I don't think there's a 'miracle' feed that is going to have 50-100% improvements in gains versus the other feeds.

#5554335 - 01/20/15 03:36 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: tlk

yes all native deer. DFG Feed in Dilley and name of their protein is Double Down.

I would be very leery of using this product. I would also let a lot of others be the guinea pig on it. 2cents I would call my feed supplier to get his honest opinion and take on it also. The difference between feeds these days is the mineral, trace mineral and vitamin package in them as they are more important than the protein IMO.

#5554337 - 01/20/15 03:37 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Supposed results, scroll down

So, 4 already large deer added a combined 135" versus the year before, in a year when we had more rain?

#5554345 - 01/20/15 03:43 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I can show pics of bucks that added that amount of inches and more a regular ration from L/E. I will also agree it rained a lot more this year at the right times.
I know of a ranch in central Texas that bought into a feed company hype about their ration only needed a 3/4lb per day consumption rate. The feed cost about $80 more per ton than his regular feed. So the ranch fed it for one year. His deer ate just as much of the new feed at $80/ton more than his old feed. His quality on his top end bucks did not improve any. He switched back to his old feed with less cash in his bank account.

#5554371 - 01/20/15 04:05 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: stxranchman]
tlk Online   content
Pro Tracker

the other possibility I thought about is the deer are more attracted to the feed due to the peanuts so they end up consuming more and therefore ingest more protein -

#5554534 - 01/20/15 06:05 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have never had a problem getting deer to eat protein. I am more concerned about the mineral/vitamin package and their ratios nowdays vs protein. You have to get that protein to the antlers, that is the key. Just because a deer will eat more does not make it better. The feed company selling the feed will love that part though since they get to pull through your gate more often.

#5554874 - 01/20/15 09:30 PM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas
Money back guarantee?

You sure you want to poach on our place?

#5555113 - 01/21/15 12:29 AM Re: Protein mix [Re: stxranchman]
skinnerback Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
I have never had a problem getting deer to eat protein. I am more concerned about the mineral/vitamin package and their ratios nowdays vs protein. You have to get that protein to the antlers, that is the key. Just because a deer will eat more does not make it better. The feed company selling the feed will love that part though since they get to pull through your gate more often.

What is your favorite protein feed? Lot of opinions out there, but want to know yours.

#5555745 - 01/21/15 11:31 AM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Believe he feeds L&E

#5555756 - 01/21/15 11:38 AM Re: Protein mix [Re: tlk]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Most protein is going to be made out of almost identical mixes.. they will have a few different this and that's but to me its like debating the best molded cooler.. they are all nice they are all around the same cost. All about who you get it from these days rather than what brand your getting

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5555767 - 01/21/15 11:42 AM Re: Protein mix [Re: Navasot]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

What is your favorite protein feed? Lot of opinions out there, but want to know yours.

I fed Acco for one truck load 25 yrs ago. Fed Purina for 13 yrs and now have fed L/E for 12 yrs.
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Most protein is going to be made out of almost identical mixes.. they will have a few different this and that's but to me its like debating the best molded cooler.. they are all nice they are all around the same cost. All about who you get it from these days rather than what brand your getting

Most every feed mill will have their own ration they use to make their feeds. Some use the same nutritionist but still make different feeds. The good ones will not tell you what is all in their feeds. The end result might be the same for two different ranches on two different feeds and those feeds might be night and day different in what goes in. The state tells you what you have to have as far as min/max levels on the label. So they might appear to be the same but will feed much differently to the animal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide