Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Digital Scales [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #5556126 01/21/15 08:07 PM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The guys that shoot brenchrest where a fraction of a inch makes you drop a point really care about es/sd and accurate powder charge. Which this give you. But not only will it give that but it will do it in 10 seconds per charge. There is nothing out there that can do it as fast and accurate. You can either have fast or you can have accurate, then this came along. For some people like me, reloading is a necessary evil. I need good ammo tuned to the gun but I do not like spending my time reloading. I would rather be shooting. I do not get much free time to spend a day at the range so anything that makes it faster is better.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Digital Scales [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #5556256 01/21/15 08:54 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Why not eliminate variables? Shooting animals you will most likely not see any difference, I agree. I shoot benchrest but it isn't small groups in paper it's 2.25 inch clays at 400y, that's my favorite game but I'll shoot anything that breaks or does something besides punch a hole in paper. Spanish Fort advertises a 250y small clay event here on the forum that is a lot of fun....yes, a kernel of powder can make a difference. I'm of the opinion that I'm probably worse than a lot of wind readers I shoot against so why not tune my gun to the ultimate precision so it allows me some room to screw up and maybe get away with breaking one I might've missed.

Here's the deal...you can load to the kernel accuracy a load in 10-15 seconds (kernels are different...example, Varget is ~ .02 grains and 4831sc is approx .03 grains). So not only are you getting the consistency in loads you are increasing your efficiency tremendously....it's Jimmy John's freaky fast stuff. wink

I want one, I can see me with one someday and it has zero to do with what you think of me so it's not bragging and while I could probably build another rifle (that is pretty darn close anyway) this powder loader would help me be able to use my time more wisely. I am not a huge fan of loading when I have to do it and it seems all spring/summer/fall I'm always having to load something. To the point that since the first of December I said I wasn't loading for a month.

I run between 2-4k bullets through my guns a year so yes, it would save me a ton of time. I throw initial load on a Chargemaster then I'm using an A&D FX120i that measures to the kernel now...loading 50 cases is a couple evening event at this rate. But I guarantee you it's some of the most consistent ammo case to case that is on the line at the matches I go too. It's not a fluke that I can win now, it's cuz I've burnt a ton of powder and really refined my loading process for consistency.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Digital Scales [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #5556384 01/21/15 10:03 PM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
cheers I'm with you on the loading Judd.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Digital Scales [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #5556536 01/21/15 11:31 PM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
I punch animals and paper. I prefer to take as much room for error out as possible. My GEM pro 250 is pretty nifty. Speedy production is not a big concern for me.

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE smile
Re: Digital Scales [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #5556665 01/22/15 12:33 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I've seen plenty of powder measures in use at benchrest matches. I have yet to see an electronic scale of any type in use.

I'm with Schmellba on this one. The only way you're going to see any real and PRACTICAL benefit with that kind of precision dispensing powder charges is if you sort your brass and bullets with the same level of precision but then there is still the shot-to-shot variation the shooter introduces which cannot be eliminated.

If you tell me that you can see the difference that 0.05 grains of powder makes I'm going to have to throw the flag. IF you could shoot one round with one of the charges, and then use the SAME bullet with the SAME hold and a charge with a little variance you might prove something.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Digital Scales [Re: RiverRider] #5556922 01/22/15 02:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A tenth grain is alls I need.

The wrong wind call will throw out any thoughts of "was my powder charge loaded to the single kernal accuracy". But I'm not a benchrester, so the Chargemaster is as accurate as I have ever had, and faster than anything I have ever used.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Digital Scales [Re: schmellba99] #5556966 01/22/15 03:11 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: schmellba99
Originally Posted By: wburke2010
Originally Posted By: schmellba99
$3 grand for a scale? Jeebus.

There really is a point of diminishing returns - I'd say that $3000 to weigh a powder charge to such a degree that you will, even with the absolute best equipment known to man, never notice a variance that the particular scale can read to is somewhere over the horizon beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Hell, the $300 or so on the Chargemaster was enough to make me think long and hard about it before getting one. Glad I did, don't get me wrong, but it's still a fairly hefty price tag for weighing powder.

There are many many of the top shooters than can tell the difference in powder charge and can shoot it..

Walter

Sorry, but you simply cannot tell the difference in .05 grains of powder. Even match ammo has a surprisingly large band of charge weights.

I'd bet good money that this is simply a case of people spending money A) because they can and B) to more or less brag about it.

I don't begrudge anybody that spends that kind of money on a powder scale - it's their money and their choice. But you aren't going to convince me that, with all the variables present between gun, ammo, environmental conditions and - most importantly - human variables, that you are getting your money's worth by measuring your powder to such a degree that you NEED a $3000 scale, or that in doing so there is a discernable difference between Round A with 40.5 grains and Round B with 40.55 grains.

so i have loaded on one while taking a class. The thing is more precise than a charge master. But where you really save is in time. It takes 5 seconds to have the proper powder charge ready, whereas the charge master will take more.

For what it is worth. During load development we ran the Prometheus against the CM and the ES dropped dramatically. I think my ES for 10 shots was around 5fps. Now will 5fps ES versus 15 make a huge difference, most likely not. Is my shooting ability going to cause more variation, most likely. But if i had the money i would buy one for the time savings.

Re: Digital Scales [Re: Cleric] #5557031 01/22/15 04:00 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Cleric
Now will 5fps ES versus 15 make a huge difference, most likely not.

Depends on how far you're shooting at over 500 you will see a difference.

I honestly hope my competitors think like most of y'all wink. Also, I do sort bullets...although the last two lots of 105 hybrids I got were consistent enough it was really a waste of time. I've also weighed cases but I've read enough articles to make me think that is most likely a waste of time. When you can reduce the SD number down below 5 (I've got one gun shooting 2 SD over 5 shots) the gun will shoot.

I know that most on this board would not benefit from measuring powder to this degree of accuracy but there is a place for it. Also, I have a GemPro250...for the $ that is the best scale going for uber precision.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Digital Scales [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #5558670 01/22/15 10:47 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Judd, how are you dispensing for the GemPro250?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide