Forums46
Topics538,525
Posts9,738,186
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I need opinions on protein feeding [Re: Theringworm] #5552427 01/19/15 10:41 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Aproximately, how many hunters on 3200 and 4000 acres?

Re: I need opinions on protein feeding [Re: Theringworm] #5552444 01/19/15 10:52 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
Thanks for the info and opinions. First off, since it's just me, I have no desire to spend $50,000+ a year to feed deer. We avg for mature WT bucks around 130s B&C. The occasional 150 has been killed but it's definitely not the norm. For mulies 140-150s maybe, with 160-170 being the biggest killed but not the norm either. I do agree 100% that better management needs to be instituted such as an MLD. Unfortunately that's up to the LO. He is a super nice old man that loves to see kids out hunting and having fun. He isn't into it for the money nor does he have any inclination or desire to hunt or put efforts into game management. He is just a good ole nice rancher. I don't and won't blame him. He truly is a nice and fair man. Being a 5 deer county, 2 bucks, 3 antlerless I would love to take advantage of that and manage the Buck to doe ratio better. My problem is, with me and my son hunting every year we usually take 2-3 WT bucks and 1 mulie. For my family, one deer will last us about 1/2 the year. More than two and we can't eat it fast enough. If I knew of a "Hunters for the Hungry" program somewhere close that would take donated meat, I would gladly decrease the doe numbers by limiting out my tags every year. I just am not aware of one in the area. As for the mule deer does go, well they are off limits per the state unless the LO applies for permits and as mentioned above, he isn't interested in that. I am lucky to have what I have to hunt on and there are lots of deer with quality to them. Just trying to see if I could increase it a little bit under the circumstances I have. I might try it and just see how it goes. If it gets out of control, someone on here will get a heck of a deal on a slightly used protein feeder. up

of course there would be no reason for you to spend that much on protein or any feed. Our place is 9000 acres and 12 hunters who split the feed cost. We have 25 plus protein feeders and 30 plus cottonseed feeders. It can't hunt to try one feeder on your place and see what results are but I would not get my hopes up. And the results will not be immediate - also if you have hogs or cattle then you need to pen the feeder off which will run you another $250-300 - best of luck to you

You can't fix stupid
Re: I need opinions on protein feeding [Re: tlk] #5552743 01/20/15 01:44 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
of course there would be no reason for you to spend that much on protein or any feed. Our place is 9000 acres and 12 hunters who split the feed cost. We have 25 plus protein feeders and 30 plus cottonseed feeders. It can't hunt to try one feeder on your place and see what results are but I would not get my hopes up. And the results will not be immediate - also if you have hogs or cattle then you need to pen the feeder off which will run you another $250-300 - best of luck to you [/quote]

No hogs, yet! LO has cows but I already have pens around all of my corn feeders with plenty of room at each to put in a protein feeder if I so choose. So, the only, and I say only in jest, expense is the feeder and the protein. Thanks again guys for the info.

Re: I need opinions on protein feeding [Re: Theringworm] #5553009 01/20/15 03:39 AM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
When paying hunters are there we'll have between 8-12. Multiply that by the 60 days of General Deer season and it adds up to quite a few. Not every day has paying hunters, but nearly all weekends except for Opening weekend, Thanksgiving and Christmas will have paying hunters. Many of the weekdays will as well.

Last count I heard on just whitetail does was around 80 taken off of the property this year.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: I need opinions on protein feeding [Re: Theringworm] #5553129 01/20/15 04:59 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
A good example of how protein feeders help the herd.

Protein feeding is one of many tools in deer management and like everything else in deer management; it should be part of a long range plan. A single feeder for a 1500 acre property is bit short of ideal but it can be beneficial to your herd. Go ahead and place your feeder and when your budget allows, add a second, third, etc. Put a camera on the feeder and get an idea of what traffic it generates. When you decide the location for your first feeder, keep in mind that you may eventually place more feeders, so locate it with that in mind.

And yes, you definitely need to fence it. Cattle can clean out a 1000 pound feeder in the blink of an eye. I would recommend regular wire panels rather than hog panels because cattle can jump the hog panels. You may be lucky but all takes is one cow to “almost” clear the hog panel and the wreck begins. I use cut-outs on the top of 4 of the 10 panels around the perimeter to make it easier for the deer to access the feed. Once they learn the game, they go straight to the cut-outs and I have never had cattle harm a pen since going to the taller wire panels. Learned the hard way with first pen which used hog panels plus hog panels are more expensive.

All my pens use 10 panels arranged in a circle. Several posts about that subject in the archives. Bigger is better and so is rounder. grin At least, I works for me!

Spin feeders for protein are like ^ ^ ^ ^ in the ocean. Free choice is available around the clock to all the deer and a dominant animal can not hog the goodies.

I began my program several years with a single feeder and have gradually added more as the budget allows. Made a few mistakes and have learned as I go. My start-up costs for a feeder, 10 panels, 20 t-posts and camera run about $1000.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide