Habitat Help #5547760 01/17/15 03:09 AM
J
js4242 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Gents,
I would like to gather your thoughts on the possibility of improving some farm tanks I have on the property. I cannot control water levels in any of the tanks and I am at the mercy of mother nature when it comes to rain/water. Ducks will come into the tanks but I would like to see if I can bring more in or at least hold them for longer. Even if I waste a little time, money and effort I still want to try something. I think I need to plant in standing water of varying depths due to the fact the main tank is an old rock quarry with a good amount of sediment on the bottom but no bank large/flat enough to manipulate. Therefore I was thinking of a couple different ideas/plants

1. Duck weed - dump it in all the tanks and see what happens
2. Wild Rice - not the Texas version but the one you can plant in 12-36" of water
3. Smartweed
4. Sago Pondweed

I chose the 3 rooted plants I did due to the fact they are perennials and can be planted deeper than some other choices out there. Out of the three I chose which one would be best or should I be looking at something else?

I want to use duck weed since water levels can fluctuate and if I loose some rooted plants, I might still be able to produce some food with the Duck weed.

My plan would be to do all tanks and only hunt two and leave the other two alone as kind of a sanctuary albeit two small ones.

Am I out of my mind or do you think there is a chance of some of this working? Are there other ideas I should try? I appreciate the serious responses and sarcastic ones as well. Just lay it on thick, so I get it. There should be a sarcasm font for internet message boards.

Re: Habitat Help [Re: js4242] #5547807 01/17/15 03:47 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
First, make sure they aren't your fishing ponds before introduction of new plants.

Also, I assume this is your own property and have the landowners' permission.

If given the opportunity, I would look into transplanting plants that have been established in other ponds that hold ducks.

I've noticed ducks seam to like coontail. Looks similar to hydrilla. Google it and see if a transplant approach will work.

Good luck.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide