Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: jefeh] #5559625 01/23/15 08:54 AM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: FireGator
I can tell you for certain that a mulie that eats sage tastes like a combination of a wool sweater and a penny, no matter what distance they are shot at!

This right here is the truth. All the mulies, antelope, and bears we shoot sit around in sage all day. There's always more than enough locals who want the meat though. More power to them, but I'll stick to beef.

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Sneaky] #5559851 01/23/15 02:32 PM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
Right, it's about the meat and the drop dead kill. Distance does not mean anything, according to most posts. I really was in the dark on how many guys at 400 to 800 drop deer dead. But, just for fun, we can meet at my ranch and have a friendly wager, 5 shot groups at say, me shooting at 100, you shooting at say 550 or so. Tightest group wins. Say, 100 bucks a round. You in?

So, what does this have to do with deer tasting better having been shot at shorter ranges? That was your point, wasn't it? I hope this isn't your attempt at crawfishing. Maybe you were just confused as to what point you were trying to make.

SHOTTTTTSSSS FIRED!!!!!!!!!

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5559874 01/23/15 02:41 PM
Z
ZenArchery Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Z
When I reel in fish from the deep on my deep sea fishing trips. They taste 10x worse then those I catch with top water lures. bolt

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: 338ultra] #5560031 01/23/15 03:59 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: 338ultra
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Right, it's about the meat and the drop dead kill. Distance does not mean anything, according to most posts. I really was in the dark on how many guys at 400 to 800 drop deer dead. But, just for fun, we can meet at my ranch and have a friendly wager, 5 shot groups at say, me shooting at 100, you shooting at say 550 or so. Tightest group wins. Say, 100 bucks a round. You in?

So, what does this have to do with deer tasting better having been shot at shorter ranges? That was your point, wasn't it? I hope this isn't your attempt at crawfishing. Maybe you were just confused as to what point you were trying to make.

SHOTTTTTSSSS FIRED!!!!!!!!!

to be fair, i thought the argument was that in general most believe that a deer shot from 700 yards will run further after being shot than one shot at 100 yards, so if you buy into the idea that a deer that runs far after being shot tastes worse...well, there ya go.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: jshouse] #5560105 01/23/15 04:39 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
And that's all it was. But, as you can see, unlike myself, most people knock them flat. I had this weird concept, and forgive me, that distance would make the deer harder to knock down in its tracks. So, take that out of the equation. I just seen two deer, killed on the same day, one ran, one dropped. When I cut the hams up, the
meat seemed not engorged in blood on the dropped deer. Maybe, it doesn't make a hill of beans and I'm good with that too.

Oh,Sneaky, --I'm still waiting on your acceptance. Step up to the plate big boy.

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5560530 01/23/15 08:17 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have nothing against long range shooting other than the increased chances of misidentifying a buck or a deer's age that is standing 400-800 yards away. To me it just leaves too much room for error on a trophy deer

You can't fix stupid
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5560614 01/23/15 08:50 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
And that's all it was. But, as you can see, unlike myself, most people knock them flat. I had this weird concept, and forgive me, that distance would make the deer harder to knock down in its tracks. So, take that out of the equation. I just seen two deer, killed on the same day, one ran, one dropped. When I cut the hams up, the
meat seemed not engorged in blood on the dropped deer. Maybe, it doesn't make a hill of beans and I'm good with that too.

Oh,Sneaky, --I'm still waiting on your acceptance. Step up to the plate big boy.

I never claimed I could outshoot you, so your challenge is pointless, at best.

I wanted to know what distance had to do with how the meat tastes. Since you believe deer are knocked down at close distance by bullets, there's little point in discussing this with you. You are absolutely clueless.

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Sneaky] #5560644 01/23/15 09:09 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
Hey, no hard feelings sneakless.

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5560677 01/23/15 09:34 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Of course.

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5560831 01/23/15 11:10 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I wonder now if shooting them with lead bullets as opposed to unleaded bullets if that can ruin the taste of the meat at longer ranges if the critter runs. Maybe that's the metallic taste I sense in some deer that I eat.

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5561229 01/24/15 02:46 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Great thread roflmao

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Dustnsand] #5561277 01/24/15 03:17 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
OK just curious - long range shooters - how do you age and judge a trophy deer from 400-800 yards ? or tell if a doe is really a nubbin buck? I am all ears - not attacking - just asking to be enlightened

You can't fix stupid
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: tlk] #5561314 01/24/15 03:38 AM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: tlk
OK just curious - long range shooters - how do you age and judge a trophy deer from 400-800 yards ? or tell if a doe is really a nubbin buck? I am all ears - not attacking - just asking to be enlightened

I'm not a long range shooter, but my guess would be a spotting scope. I use a spotting scope to identify if I want to pursue a deer or not. They can show you everything you need down to the last detail.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: tlk] #5561367 01/24/15 04:13 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

If I don't have the glass or am not given the time to I.D. I let it walk.

I do kill things at long range and teach others how to do it. However, I kill hogs, coyotes, and prairie dogs at long range. I have never, nor do I wish to kill or attempt to kill deer at long range. If the giant buck or bull presented a shot beyond 500 I would not rush it. Rushed shots are botched shots. If I can I.D. and feel comfortable with my position and steadiness I will take the shot, if not I won't. I also know what the cartridge I am shooting can do at various distances, so I make sure and have the ft/lbs needed upon arrival, and the BC needed to get it there.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: J.G.] #5561407 01/24/15 04:43 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I do kill things at long range and teach others how to do it. However, I kill hogs, coyotes, and prairie dogs at long range. I have never, nor do I wish to kill or attempt to kill deer at long range. If the giant buck or bull presented a shot beyond 500 I would not rush it. Rushed shots are botched shots. If I can I.D. and feel comfortable with my position and steadiness I will take the shot, if not I won't. I also know what the cartridge I am shooting can do at various distances, so I make sure and have the ft/lbs needed upon arrival, and the BC needed to get it there.

cry I could make a 500 yrd kill shot drunk with one eye closed shooting free hand with one arm, with a 22-250. Don't see what the problem is here. Hell my 4 yr old can hit at 200 yrds in high wind. You don't have to be good, just have to be lucky. bolt

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: skinnerback] #5565190 01/26/15 04:08 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well crap! Come to my range and give ME a lesson, cuz I can't do that!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: J.G.] #5565310 01/26/15 04:54 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
roflmao flehan

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5609919 02/20/15 05:13 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I hunt East Texas its hard to get a lot of long shots past 300 yrds. but I did kill a 5 year old buck that was workin a valley pretty hard. The wind and set up made it hard for me to make adjustments, so I sat on a big hill with a tricked out sporter Rem 721 30 06 with a bi pod and waited on him one evening. He came out pushin some does around. I screamed out loud twice to stop him. when he stopped I put the Pentax crosshairs on the top of his back and eased into the trigger. He just stood there. I told myself my god he is far away, so I aimed about a foot above his shoulder and let it rip. It was like watching it through a tv screen. I recovered from the 30 06s recoil before the bullet hit the deer and watched the buck respond to the hit. The deer was hit in the heart and ran down to the ground. He was dead and only went 15 yrds. It was cool, but don't expect to shoot one that far away anytime soon. The shot was about 500 long steps away. I even found a shed antler on the walk to the buck after the shot. The margin of error is high and you can wound and loose deer at long distances. I dont own a range finder, Too much bull to carry around.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: skinnerback] #5609945 02/20/15 05:32 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

cry I could make a 500 yrd kill shot drunk with one eye closed shooting free hand with one arm, with a 22-250. Don't see what the problem is here. Hell my 4 yr old can hit at 200 yrds in high wind. You don't have to be good, just have to be lucky. bolt

I took this as a bit of sarcasm.... you're funny

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: TonyinVA] #5609960 02/20/15 05:40 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I took this as a bit of sarcasm.... you're funny

yingyang

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: REALKILLER] #5611320 02/21/15 02:11 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
The margin of error is high and you can wound and loose deer at long distances. I dont own a range finder, Too much bull to carry around.

Doing it the way you're doing it, yeah.

Taking a poke outsidr 200 without a range finder is a must have. If you don't want to carry it, dont shoot beyond 200 yards. And "about a foot over the back" is asking to wound lots of animals. Get the right equipment and learn how to do it right, or dont do it at all.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: tlk] #5611386 02/21/15 03:04 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Quality optics help identifying game.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5611970 02/22/15 12:34 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
HEY FIREMAN JG that deer has been hangin on my wall for 8 years. I'm not shootin paper I'm shootin wild animals and that one is dead. I don't want any electronics with me when I'm in the woods. I don't set up with that kind of shot in mind but when I'm hunting something I want I normally kill it. More often than not in my hunting situations, if I don't kill it when I see it's not going to presented again. I hear stories all the time about people passing a shot because it wasn't perfect, XXXX that they should of shot because they never saw that deer again. It is not an exact science, it is hunting. I just watched a show on the last hunters and gatherers in the world. They were natives and they did some missing while hunting with hand made bows and arrows in Africa. Try telling them they need a range finder. They survive on berries, nuts, and wild game. The biggest deer I ever saw in the wild I let get passed me because I thought I might let him get closer. I never saw him again and this haunts me, so if one comes out and I want it I'm going to try to kill it. thanks

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: REALKILLER] #5612098 02/22/15 02:09 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
HEY FIREMAN JG that deer has been hangin on my wall for 8 years. I'm not shootin paper I'm shootin wild animals and that one is dead. I don't want any electronics with me when I'm in the woods. I don't set up with that kind of shot in mind but when I'm hunting something I want I normally kill it. More often than not in my hunting situations, if I don't kill it when I see it's not going to presented again. I hear stories all the time about people passing a shot because it wasn't perfect, XXXX that they should of shot because they never saw that deer again. It is not an exact science, it is hunting. I just watched a show on the last hunters and gatherers in the world. They were natives and they did some missing while hunting with hand made bows and arrows in Africa. Try telling them they need a range finder. They survive on berries, nuts, and wild game. The biggest deer I ever saw in the wild I let get passed me because I thought I might let him get closer. I never saw him again and this haunts me, so if one comes out and I want it I'm going to try to kill it. thanks

Your post on this thread and others speaks volumes about the type of person you are.

Re: LONG RANGE KILL SHOTS? [Re: Huntmaster] #5612104 02/22/15 02:17 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Thanks. Thought the same thing about you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide