Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,717
Posts9,728,141
Members87,037
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! #5539044 01/13/15 03:29 AM
T
TAT Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
When you have a scope and on the front it has adjustments,......50,100,200,300. The scope is sighted in at 100 yards with front setting on 100. How is this front function used? I've always had regular scopes. If someone could break this down in laymen terms I would appreciate it. I do understand it's an adjustable objective. How do you use it. Thanks,been hunting my whole life but feel like a real newbie right now!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: TAT] #5539194 01/13/15 04:07 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
The Adjustable objective is for adjusting parallax at different distances. On some scopes you will also see a more crisp image when adjusted for that range.

This video shows it pretty good. Side adjustment where yours is on the objective bell

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: TAT] #5539688 01/13/15 02:30 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
To understand what the AO does it helps to understand the other end of the scope first.

The first thing you should do with a new scope is focus the ocular so that the reticle is clear. Once that's done, then a target that is the same distance as the parallax distance will also be in focus because its image is in the same focal plane as the reticle.

The image seen when looking through a scope is three dimensional and is floating in the scope tube. With an adjustable objective, the image can be moved to and fro so that objects at different ranges can be moved into the same plane as the reticle. That brings the object into perfect focus (assuming the ocular is properly focused on the reticle) and eliminates parallax error.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: RiverRider] #5539693 01/13/15 02:31 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^What they said^^

Good video, too!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: TAT] #5539740 01/13/15 02:51 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
And be aware that the yardage markings may very well not match up with your actual yardage.

That is VERY common and not a problem with the scope.. it's an estimation.

Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: RiverRider] #5539839 01/13/15 03:35 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
To understand what the AO does it helps to understand the other end of the scope first.

The first thing you should do with a new scope is focus the ocular so that the reticle is clear. Once that's done, then a target that is the same distance as the parallax distance will also be in focus because its image is in the same focal plane as the reticle.

The image seen when looking through a scope is three dimensional and is floating in the scope tube. With an adjustable objective, the image can be moved to and fro so that objects at different ranges can be moved into the same plane as the reticle. That brings the object into perfect focus (assuming the ocular is properly focused on the reticle) and eliminates parallax error.

Dang man, I'm not sure I understood that. Pretty geeky, lotsa big words.

Here's the thing. If you got past scope 101, mounting and adjusting the scope to your eyesight, get the gun to a stable bench rest and put the crosshairs on a target, say 50 yards down range. Now, while looking through the scope, adjust the AO to get a good focus on the target. Now, pay particular attention to the exact spot the crosshairs are on the target, and just barely nod your head as if you were nodding yes, but only a tiny movement. You'll probably notice that the crosshairs 'move about' across the target when you nod. That right there is parallax error. Get back on the scope and start nodding again, but this time, slowly adjust the AO and you will see the parallax error go away. You can move your eye around but the crosshairs remain fixed on the same spot. Do this until it's perfect, no movement relative to the target. Now, put 10 rounds in the same hole and move to the 100 yard range and do it again. It'll become a kneejerk reaction every time you put the crosshairs on a target.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: TAT] #5540270 01/13/15 06:20 PM
T
TAT Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Awesome,y'all! Thanks for the great info.

Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: Cast] #5541285 01/14/15 02:24 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Good video. I wasn't able to view it on my (damn)phone this morning.

Originally Posted By: Cast

Here's the thing. If you got past scope 101, mounting and adjusting the scope to your eyesight, get the gun to a stable bench rest and put the crosshairs on a target, say 50 yards down range. Now, while looking through the scope, adjust the AO to get a good focus on the target. Now, pay particular attention to the exact spot the crosshairs are on the target, and just barely nod your head as if you were nodding yes, but only a tiny movement. You'll probably notice that the crosshairs 'move about' across the target when you nod. That right there is parallax error. Get back on the scope and start nodding again, but this time, slowly adjust the AO and you will see the parallax error go away. You can move your eye around but the crosshairs remain fixed on the same spot. Do this until it's perfect, no movement relative to the target. Now, put 10 rounds in the same hole and move to the 100 yard range and do it again. It'll become a kneejerk reaction every time you put the crosshairs on a target.

I guess dumbing things down to suit you is an artform I'll never master. Ten years of trying and I ain't got it right yet.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: TAT] #5544289 01/15/15 02:32 PM
T
TAT Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I think I understand,as in most things I have to get out and try and work on it. From what you guys have told me and all the reading I've been doing I think I understand better in how this works. Thanks again for dumbing things down for me! Lol

Re: Scope question....Adjustable objective,how does it work?!! [Re: RiverRider] #5544663 01/15/15 05:22 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good video. I wasn't able to view it on my (damn)phone this morning.

Originally Posted By: Cast

I guess dumbing things down to suit you is an artform I'll never master. Ten years of trying and I ain't got it right yet.

Only ten years? It seems like so much longer than that!

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide