Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476317 Topics
6248250 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5543534 - 01/14/15 08:03 PM What would you do...
CharlieCTx Offline
Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
First lease for my 2 boys and I... My 15 yr old shot a buck, dropped immediately, knee high or so grass. We waited 10-15 minutes just to make sure, about the time we're going to exit the pop up, he picks his head up and looks like he's trying to get up. Doesn't make it up, antlers go back down. This went on 2-3 more times over 15 minutes or so. I decided if he was going to get up, he would have. Got out and made my approach to him coming down a rise. Got within 15-20 ft and he's definitely alive, but not getting up. (Not sure why he couldn't get up, it was a high shot, but at least 6-8 inches below the spine.)

I finished him with 2 rounds from my Sig 9mm, lung (was pretty shaky from the adrenaline) then heart.

It really bothered my 14 yr old for us to have to sit right there and watch him eventually expire. I'll admit, myself a little as well. I didn't want to shot him in the head for the obvious reasons.

What would you do?

Charlie

#5543552 - 01/14/15 08:10 PM Re: What would you do... [Re: CharlieCTx]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Charlie, you shoot enough animals and non-immediate kills will and do happen. I would explain this to your sons, life and hunting is not always perfect. As for finishing off the animal, I usually do this with a close end neck shot from the rifle.

#5543588 - 01/14/15 08:23 PM Re: What would you do... [Re: CharlieCTx]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
The bullet hit close enough to the spine to temporarily paralyze him. I've seen them lay there, and I've seen them take off. First thing I would have done is shoot him as soon as I saw him trying to get back up.

Then I would explain that sometimes that's just how it goes. Mother Nature is no fairy tale, and sometimes you have to get your hands dirty if you want to partake. Some people choose to wash their hands of it all and let others do the dirty work. Those people live in a dull, cold world of concrete and steel. They've abandoned their roots, along with reality, to one degree or another. Those of us still connected to the earth and her intricate ways sometimes have to watch her beautiful animals die. It seems ironic to appreciate its beauty in one breath and destroy it in another, but in doing so, more beauty is revealed and a much larger picture realized. It's difficult to understand, even as a partaker.

#5543612 - 01/14/15 08:33 PM Re: What would you do... [Re: Sneaky]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
The bullet hit close enough to the spine to temporarily paralyze him. I've seen them lay there, and I've seen them take off. First thing I would have done is shoot him as soon as I saw him trying to get back up.

Then I would explain that sometimes that's just how it goes. Mother Mature is no fairy tale, and sometimes you have to get your hands dirty if you want to partake. Some people choose to wash their hands of it all and let others do the dirty work. Those people live in a dull, cold world of concrete and steel. They've abandoned their roots, along with reality, to one degree or another. Those of us still connected to the earth and her intricate ways sometimes have to watch her beautiful animals die. It seems ironic to appreciate its beauty in one breath and destroy it in another, but in doing so, more beauty is revealed and a much larger picture realized. It's difficult to understand, even as a partaker.

Wow Sneaky, didn't know you had it in you. Very poetic and insightful...

#5543683 - 01/14/15 08:57 PM Re: What would you do... [Re: CharlieCTx]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
Thanks DQ.

#5543705 - 01/14/15 09:04 PM Re: What would you do... [Re: Sneaky]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...

Then I would explain that sometimes that's just how it goes. Mother Mature is no fairy tale, and sometimes you have to get your hands dirty if you want to partake. Some people choose to wash their hands of it all and let others do the dirty work. Those people live in a dull, cold world of concrete and steel. They've abandoned their roots, along with reality, to one degree or another. Those of us still connected to the earth and her intricate ways sometimes have to watch her beautiful animals die. It seems ironic to appreciate its beauty in one breath and destroy it in another, but in doing so, more beauty is revealed and a much larger picture realized. It's difficult to understand, even as a partaker.

X2

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5543712 - 01/14/15 09:06 PM Re: What would you do... [Re: Sneaky]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana

flehan

#5543727 - 01/14/15 09:10 PM Re: What would you do... [Re: CharlieCTx]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Well said Sneaky.

When an animal tries getting up after going down to a shot, especially one that tries more than once or if a young hunter is involved put more lead in it. Have tracked too many for those that observe after a shot rather than being ready for a second shot. Tracking dogs get called for these all too often, sometimes recovery is made sometimes not.

Even though the death of a majestic animal was longer than we hunters like in this case, it was still a lot quicker than usually happens for prey animals in nature. Nature is beautiful but can sure be cruel to the creatures in it at times.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#5543949 - 01/14/15 11:06 PM Re: What would you do... [Re: CharlieCTx]
CharlieCTx Offline
Tracker

I appreciate the responses. I guess what I was really looking for was how to take him out essentially standing next to him. Rifle shot seemed too much (meat/head damage) and 9mm felt a bit inadequate compared to a rifle shot. We really couldn't see him unless he moved his antlers. Had he actually stood up, my son had is 30.06 and I had my AR-10 on him. He might have taken a step, but he wouldn't have taken two. smile

DQ, so at the base of the head/neck are base of the neck/chest area?

Charlie

#5544124 - 01/15/15 06:53 AM Re: What would you do... [Re: Sneaky]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Rockwall

Then I would explain that sometimes that's just how it goes. Mother Nature is no fairy tale, and sometimes you have to get your hands dirty if you want to partake. Some people choose to wash their hands of it all and let others do the dirty work. Those people live in a dull, cold world of concrete and steel. They've abandoned their roots, along with reality, to one degree or another. Those of us still connected to the earth and her intricate ways sometimes have to watch her beautiful animals die. It seems ironic to appreciate its beauty in one breath and destroy it in another, but in doing so, more beauty is revealed and a much larger picture realized. It's difficult to understand, even as a partaker.

Nice.

#5544131 - 01/15/15 06:58 AM Re: What would you do... [Re: DQ Kid]
talkturkey Offline

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

Wow Sneaky, didn't know you had it in you. Very poetic and insightful...

Thanks Sneaky. This sums up life in general, not just hunting. Very well said.

#5544132 - 01/15/15 06:59 AM Re: What would you do... [Re: CharlieCTx]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
I appreciate the responses. I guess what I was really looking for was how to take him out essentially standing next to him. Rifle shot seemed too much (meat/head damage) and 9mm felt a bit inadequate compared to a rifle shot. We really couldn't see him unless he moved his antlers. Had he actually stood up, my son had is 30.06 and I had my AR-10 on him. He might have taken a step, but he wouldn't have taken two. smile

DQ, so at the base of the head/neck are base of the neck/chest area?

Charlie

I put it middle of neck, mid neck. May be different if going to get a mount but this is where I finish them.

#5544193 - 01/15/15 07:47 AM Re: What would you do... [Re: Sneaky]
landsurveyor Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Annetta TX

up

#5544220 - 01/15/15 07:59 AM Re: What would you do... [Re: CharlieCTx]
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Undercover
I would tell my son how proud of him I was for his feelings on having to watch the deer struggle for life. I think this is what separates animal killers from hunters. It also makes us all realize our own mortality, which as a teen-ager, this is a good thing. Death, and more importantly killing an animal is not something to be taken lightly. I would also remind him that if the deer were killed by a mountain lion or some other predator that it might have suffered just as long and just as much. Taking an animal's life requires some fore thought and should not be taken lightly. Explain to him that anytime you take a deer, you feel the exhiliration of accomplishment, but you also feel the sadness of having removed one of God' creatures from this earth forever. This is a great teaching moment and can go in many different directions.

#5544329 - 01/15/15 08:49 AM Re: What would you do... [Re: CharlieCTx]
CharlieCTx Offline
Tracker

It was a good teachable moment and I made a good oppty. out of it. We covered the full spectrum... 14 yr old was crying, I was wishing he would have expired before we got there and the 15 yr old had his knife out ready to start cleaning! smile

Charlie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide