Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5541913 01/14/15 02:00 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'd help him find his deer. Next time maybe he'll get to help me find my deer.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: Western] #5541921 01/14/15 02:02 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Originally Posted By: dawaba
NP, the fact it's that 12pt. droptine you've been chasing doesn't phase you at all?

It's not my deer; it's the state's deer. Heck, he probably has photos on the same 12-pt on his cams and has been chasing it too. By luck and karma, the buck gave him a chance before you got your chance.

I'd give him a cold Dr Pepper out of my cooler and help him track it till we find it. And then I'd take kill pictures of him and his deer with his camera and mine. We'd exchange phone numbers, and I'd insist on wanting to see the mounted buck after he gets it back from his taxidermist. And I would call him next year, pre-season, and tell him what I am seeing on my cams....and hopefully, he will reciprocate.

Hunting is not a competitive sport. Years ago, golfer Gary Player responded to a scribe's question on how he was going to beat Jack Nicklaus. He said, "I have no desire to beat Jack, nor Arnold Palmer. They're my friends. I only try to beat par." That about sums it up, I think.

Now that's more like it, I love to see the brotherhood of the human spirit coming out. More recent threads had gotten me concerned that it wasn't alive and well. Also good to see that we haven't threatened or gone as far as even having shot at our hypothetical hunter as some past posters have been close to threatening to do so.

DQ, Just my opinion, but I think allot of the "responses and post" you where thinking you'd get, reflect the immature crowd responses more than likely, or the "tough guys" behind a PC screen. I am betting that 90% of the BS in many post wouldnt happen unless someone has some "anger management" issues.

Western, that was also my thinking kind of a big reason for the thread in the 1st place. Wanted to confirm that though..

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: Western] #5541925 01/14/15 02:05 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I am with NP.

Me too, but I would accompany the guy on my place.

And offer any assistance that I could.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5541932 01/14/15 02:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
For the record, any stranger on my place will always be accompanied by me. I would also help him track and find the deer.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5541963 01/14/15 02:19 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If it was shot on his side I would let him come look for it. Like others said I would accompany him. If it was a deer we were both after I would likely ask him if I could snag a few pics with it also. My mood would largely depend on how the events all played out. If he was someone who shot the place up and had 3 blinds on our fencline I would likely use it as some bargaining leverage to try and convince him to change his shooting habit and move his stands and lecture a little while looking for the deer.

After said deer was found or not I would show him out give him my phone number and tell him to please call if he needed something again.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5541977 01/14/15 02:24 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: don k
First off it depends on my relationship with the neighbor. It depends on how I have been treated by him. Is he the owner of the property or leases it for hunting? He will get the deer I just can make it easy or hard.

Don, that sounds a little like double standard treatment doesn't it? Owner is ok, leasee - ok but probably harder..Not nice.....
I said that if I have a good relationship with the owner of the property or if he leases it out for hunting the lease hunter that would make a difference. I may be old and my way of thinking not politically correct, but here is the way I view things. I treat people the way they treat me. If someone treats me like crap then they will be treated the same way. Say that hunter you made up has a blind and feeder on the fence line and has been asked to move it back a bit and I have been told to FO. It will probably be a little harder for him the retrieve the deer than if he had moved the stand when asked. Now is that a double standard? It may be but that is the way I handle things.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5541986 01/14/15 02:27 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I would as most said, let him track the deer and most likely, I would help him try to find it.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: don k] #5541997 01/14/15 02:30 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
First off it depends on my relationship with the neighbor. It depends on how I have been treated by him. Is he the owner of the property or leases it for hunting? He will get the deer I just can make it easy or hard.

Don, that sounds a little like double standard treatment doesn't it? Owner is ok, leasee - ok but probably harder..Not nice.....
I said that if I have a good relationship with the owner of the property or if he leases it out for hunting the lease hunter that would make a difference. I may be old and my way of thinking not politically correct, but here is the way I view things. I treat people the way they treat me. If someone treats me like crap then they will be treated the same way. Say that hunter you made up has a blind and feeder on the fence line and has been asked to move it back a bit and I have been told to FO. It will probably be a little harder for him the retrieve the deer than if he had moved the stand when asked. Now is that a double standard? It may be but that is the way I handle things.

Fair enough Don, in my hypothetical I was thinking we had little to no prior interactions with the hunter in question and have simply heard some shots from his stand that season, maybe hogs/maybe coyotes/maybe foxes/maybe deer, who knows...

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: dawaba] #5542056 01/14/15 02:55 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
i agree with the other guys, if he took it legally he has my permission to look for it.

and dawaba, maybe thats why jack is the best ever and gary isnt. i promise you jack was going for the jugular every time he stepped on the course.

grin

Last edited by jshouse; 01/14/15 02:56 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5542063 01/14/15 02:56 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
If he's got blood on his side of the fence, I let him come track the deer and I'll go with him. I've had a couple make it over and would expect the same courtesy.

30ish years ago, a guy drove up to our place and said 'Hey, I shot a deer and it ran into your place. Mind if I go look for him?" My dad said sure, and sent me with him (I was 12-13 at the time). Guy drove right to the deer, which happened to be a 10pt buck bigger than anything we'd ever shot. Only thing is, to get to where this deer was, the deer had to jump three fences, from his place to the neighbors, from the neighbors to the FM road, FM road into our place, and then run about 300 yards into our place before piling up. Deer would have covered about 600yds total from the guy's description of where he ran. The deer also would have passed a lot of cover on the way.

After we had loaded the buck and were driving back I began to look at the guy's gun. Well-outfitted Win M70 .264 Win Mag with a 6-20x scope on it. He was very proud of it and told me how well it shot and how it 'Reached out there'. It's always bothered me to this day, because I'm 99% positive he just shot diagonally from his place, across the FM road and the corner of his neighbor's place, and into our place to poach the deer. It would have been about a 300-400yd shot on the diagonal, depending on where the buck was in our place when he shot it as to where it finally fell. This was about a 130lb Central Texas buck so it's not like it was some bruiser shot with a .222.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5542436 01/14/15 05:29 PM
Y
YellowDog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
My blind/feeders are 100 yards off my neighbors fence line. Before we root plowed the place I could not see the fence line. So should I move my blind? Almost all my deer come from the neighbors un-hunted pasture. I have not meet the new neighbors nor would I shoot over the fence line.

Born to Hunt/Fish
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5542505 01/14/15 06:04 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
My neighbor owns 15 total acres, but it's positioned perfectly as a pinch point between woods and he actually sees as many or more nice bucks than I do. He also lets his friend, son, etc hunt the place, so they harvest more deer than I do.

Almost any deer they shoot make their way onto my property. I've never had any issue whatsoever letting them track them, but I do want to know before they do it.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5542518 01/14/15 06:13 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I hunt just the same as my neighbors do their property they hunt were they want and so will I. He was the lucky one to get the buck and would have no problem with him finding his deer and would even help him do so. Having someone take a nice buck that is in the area would be exciting to me and I would love to see it and take a picture. No reason to get angry about this at all and would be a pretty DBag move to not allow him to retrieve his deer. Because I know the day this happens to me I will want to be treated the same.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5542524 01/14/15 06:17 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
For the record, any stranger on my place will always be accompanied by me. I would also help him track and find the deer.
This, +1.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5542564 01/14/15 06:41 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Three of my neighbors can come onto my place any time they wish to do so via our common gates. The fourth neighbor, however, wouldn't be allowed on my property for any reason, period. I don't care if he shot the new world record and it jumped from his property to mine, he's not going to get it.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: Play Maker] #5542635 01/14/15 07:23 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Play Maker
Three of my neighbors can come onto my place any time they wish to do so via our common gates. The fourth neighbor, however, wouldn't be allowed on my property for any reason, period. I don't care if he shot the new world record and it jumped from his property to mine, he's not going to get it.
I know exactly what you mean.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5542695 01/14/15 07:44 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Quote:
Say that hunter you made up has a blind and feeder on the fence line and has been asked to move it back a bit and I have been told to FO. It will probably be a little harder for him the retrieve the deer than if he had moved the stand when asked. Now is that a double standard? It may be but that is the way I handle things.

I still don't get how it is apparently OK to attempt to dictate how your neighbor operates on HIS side of the fence line.

Flip the switch - say your neighbor just doesn't like the way you don't have a 30 yard wide bush hogged line on your side of the fence and asks you to start keeping your side of the fence up to his standards. How will you react to that?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5542766 01/14/15 08:15 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A true sportsman that is respectful of both the resource and his neighbors would be careful not to select stand sites where there is a good possibility of a deer becoming non-retrievable.

If you don't have permission to cross a fence to retrieve a deer, you're being disrespectful of the resource by hunting next to it.

If I don't have prior permission to cross a fence to retrieve a deer, I don't hunt next to it.

If you need to contact a landowner for this purpose, just go to the county tax office and ask a staff member to assist you.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: schmellba99] #5542812 01/14/15 08:42 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: schmellba99
Quote:
Say that hunter you made up has a blind and feeder on the fence line and has been asked to move it back a bit and I have been told to FO. It will probably be a little harder for him the retrieve the deer than if he had moved the stand when asked. Now is that a double standard? It may be but that is the way I handle things.

I still don't get how it is apparently OK to attempt to dictate how your neighbor operates on HIS side of the fence line.

Flip the switch - say your neighbor just doesn't like the way you don't have a 30 yard wide bush hogged line on your side of the fence and asks you to start keeping your side of the fence up to his standards. How will you react to that?
So if the placement of the feeder and stand would be where that if they shot toward their feeder it would be shooting toward your property that would be OK?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: Texas Dan] #5542816 01/14/15 08:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
A true sportsman that is respectful of both the resource and his neighbors would be careful not to select stand sites where there is a good possibility of a deer becoming non-retrievable.

If you don't have permission to cross a fence to retrieve a deer, you're being disrespectful of the resource by hunting next to it.

If I don't have prior permission to cross a fence to retrieve a deer, I don't hunt next to it.

If you need to contact a landowner for this purpose, just go to the county tax office and ask a staff member to assist you.

Do you have a binder you carry all these inane rules in so you can remember them?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: DQ Kid] #5542849 01/14/15 08:55 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I always try to get acquainted with neighbors before season starts, if all is well and phone #'s exchanged, it can be of use later.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5542853 01/14/15 08:56 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Do you have a binder you carry all these inane rules in so you can remember them?

While im not gonna say I think they should be laws etc... they do kinda make sense don't they Nog?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: don k] #5542890 01/14/15 09:09 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: schmellba99
Quote:

So if the placement of the feeder and stand would be where that if they shot toward their feeder it would be shooting toward your property that would be OK?

if their stand is on the fence do you think they are more likely to shoot toward the fence or back towards the middle of their property? i would be more worried about a stand 150 yards away from the fence myself.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5542908 01/14/15 09:15 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I would allow him to track the deer if he contacted me first before entering my property. He would have to be unarmed and I would have to accompany him and I would have the firearm if it's needed and I would do the shooting if needed.

If he entered my property without my permission I would press charges for trespassing and keep the deer.

You would be in violation of the law for keeping a deer that one you didn't kill and two you didn't tag.

Re: Hypothetically Speaking [Re: krmitchell] #5542915 01/14/15 09:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I would allow him to track the deer if he contacted me first before entering my property. He would have to be unarmed and I would have to accompany him and I would have the firearm if it's needed and I would do the shooting if needed.

If he entered my property without my permission I would press charges for trespassing and keep the deer.

You would be in violation of the law for keeping a deer that one you didn't kill and two you didn't tag.

Likewise you would be in trouble if you shot the deer then he tagged it and took it home.

It's hell eatin em live
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide