Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
My first coyote trap-line **video** #5540408 01/13/15 07:13 PM
D
deerhuntinghippie Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
I was new to both trapping and video work and video editing when I made this but in hindsight I'm glad I brought the camera with me and documented my first attempt at trapping. I'm currently working on chapter 2 of my little video trapping journal. Hope you folks enjoy.

Last edited by deerhuntinghippie; 01/13/15 07:15 PM.

Follow me on Facebook: Zach Byrd Adventure Hour
Somewhere between Henry David Thoreau and Joe Dirt.
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5540417 01/13/15 07:15 PM
D
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5540491 01/13/15 07:42 PM
T
thruxton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
People actually still do this unethical [censored]?

Last edited by thruxton; 01/13/15 07:42 PM.
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: thruxton] #5540582 01/13/15 08:13 PM
L
LovinLakeLife Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: thruxton

^^^ This
I can see hunting them, but not trapping them

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5540670 01/13/15 08:44 PM
B
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The coyote population needs to managed along with the other animals, they go hand in hand with management practices. It is the most effective way to control the population. Think I'll start my sets this weekend. Coyote population seems to have exploded at our ranch, when everything was in peril from the drought over the last few years.

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5540676 01/13/15 08:50 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Very good video editing, and congrats on your successful trap line.

With that said, I know trapping has its place, but I don't think it should be put on youtube the way you did it. Way too much struggling animal and blood footage for most people (including me).

Anti and non hunters could have a hayday with that footage.

Just my take on it.

Good luck with your trapping efforts.

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5540844 01/13/15 10:14 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Why not shoot them at a distance once trapped? Why the extra work of walking close to scare it and have it suffer more? I understand trapping has it's place and they need to be removed, but the way you did this just to "edit a video" is not an ethical way of trapping or hunting. All the camera shots to have the animal with its head down and looks submissive and scared, and knowing its life is over is just a dick move. Also the part of showing all the blood on the ground just for dramatic effect? What is the point of that exactly, or its purpose for the video?

Nice job on the trapping, crappy job on the video and execution of the whole journal.

Next time- trap, spot, kill from a distance quick and clean.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5541726 01/14/15 07:27 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
See how the footage effects other hunters and outdoorsman. Imagine what the antis do with this stuff, fuel for their fire man, keep that in mind as you progress as a trapper, less is more sometimes you know. Seems to me that your more involved in making a movie then getting the job done. Do it like a professional and think about what you put in the publics eye. Lots of people will see that that you don't want to. For every dollar that goes to lobbyist to protect our rights to trap the antis give 10. Just some food for thought, good start but I really don't see the point of all that for a couple coyotes, if you wanna keep a "journal" keep it for your records to improve your trapping as in what you did at each set with wind and weather conditions and use it as a tool not for media purposes

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: thruxton] #5541754 01/14/15 11:30 AM
B
bdotson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

You got to be kidding!! I think you are doing a great service to the wildlife. I know the coyote population is out of control and we trap and kill as many as we can. I just got another dozen mb550 traps in last week. Keep up the good work and dont let those who live on concrete tell you how to run your business. Kill em all

Last edited by bdotson; 01/14/15 01:22 PM.
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5541954 01/14/15 02:17 PM
H
huntnelmo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
OMG guys...if you are that afraid of the antis then get out and vote and stand up for your rights...trapping is part of our nations history and heritage...if you wonder were all your deer have gone try setting out a few traps yourself. We cannot keep hiding in the shadows hoping antis and critics will pass us by...stand up for our rights, heritage and what you believe!

If you have to stop and think about it,then you should really stop and think about!
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5542011 01/14/15 02:34 PM
S
song dog down Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
popcorn

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: huntnelmo] #5542088 01/14/15 03:05 PM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: huntnelmo
OMG guys...if you are that afraid of the antis then get out and vote and stand up for your rights...trapping is part of our nations history and heritage...if you wonder were all your deer have gone try setting out a few traps yourself. We cannot keep hiding in the shadows hoping antis and critics will pass us by...stand up for our rights, heritage and what you believe!

What organizations are you involved in, what bills have you talked to congressman about, done any help or lobbying for other states rights, are you aware that antis have nearly shut down trapping in about 6 states, and no intentions of slowing down. Would you like texas to become a cage only state as well. I don't think so, get on the phone and talk to some of board members of the nta and see if they tell you to promote trapping this way. It's all about what the public eye sees and how they interpret it. This is not the way to promote trapping. I make a living from trapping and fur handling so I'm pretty keen on these subjects and can go on for days. Trapping and fur taking is in every mans blood like it or not and should be a natural instinct to want to harvest fur, I trap and handle fur over 200 days of the year so don't think I'm some softy from the concrete jungle. All I said was that it is not smart to put these images in the public eye. The coyotes not suffering in the video but you show that to young woman with her daddy's deep pockets and a mission to save every animal in the world then that footage is simply copied and put in the next PETA video. I'm all for killin every coyote out there but you have to be smart or you start ruffling feathers, just like this video did. Don't post it, go about your business and be humble and enjoy trapping, don't make videos of coyotes dancin, just dispatch move on to the next one, I dunno any other real trappers would agree, kinda like an unwritten rule

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5542113 01/14/15 03:13 PM
C
Cole P Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Deerhuntinghippie - Go check out Trapperman. There is a lot you can learn there about trapping and trapping etiquette; especially talking about/ showing kill methods. Lots of good guys there, you've probably even seen this site.

Everyone else - This guy is hunting just as legally as any of you. He is getting out and enjoying wildlife while observing different tools of management. Stop harassing this man for doing what he enjoys, most of y'all have never even trapped before. You can actually manage a coyote population with a few traps and some know how. Taking pot shots at yotes out of your deer stand isn't management.

This is someone from that does hunt, fish & traps.

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: Txcatman1] #5542179 01/14/15 03:34 PM
H
huntnelmo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Focus that rage somewhere than at a fellow hunter...if what you believe is true than we should remove the photo section from all the hunting sights !

If you have to stop and think about it,then you should really stop and think about!
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: bdotson] #5542248 01/14/15 04:00 PM
T
thruxton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: bdotson

You got to be kidding!! I think you are doing a great service to the wildlife. I know the coyote population is out of control and we trap and kill as many as we can. I just got another dozen mb550 traps in last week. Keep up the good work and dont let those who live on concrete tell you how to run your business. Kill em all

There's a difference in ethical and unethical hunting, yeah? There's a reason trapping is becoming a thing of the past in many states now. I like to hunt just as much as the next guy, but making an animal suffer is not apart of what we as hunting enthusiasts are about, nor should we promote it. Like TXcatman said, get the job done. Don't put an animal in more distress for the benefit of making a video. Plus, there are more effective ways to getting rid of pests...and you kind of signed up for dealing with these animals if you have land. Not their fault.

P.S. go stick your foot in a trap and sit with it for hours on end.

Last edited by thruxton; 01/14/15 04:02 PM.
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5542283 01/14/15 04:13 PM
daniel1381 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
popcorn

"From my cold dead hands"

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5542301 01/14/15 04:22 PM
daniel1381 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Why use a 22?

Benjamin Franklin

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5542608 01/14/15 07:07 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
OP, keep doing what you are doing. Thin 'em out.

I've seen coyotes start eating parts of a deer they chased down while it was still alive. That's nature and nature is brutal.

As long as your trapping means are legal, I don't see an issue. Some can't stomach a video of the process, but it's their choice to watch it or not. I've seen this kind of reaction to vids of hogs being snare and cage trapped too. You'll get the predictable commentary and moral equivalency lectures, nothing surprising there. These trapping methods have been around much longer than anyone on this forum has been alive, so now it's "wrong" to do once people become "aware" of it. Unfortunately, you are going to get criticism for any video you post of any trapping that results in a dead animal. wtf

As long as you are legal, don't let other's delicate sensibilities dictate your methods. cheers

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5542624 01/14/15 07:18 PM
T
Texaswats Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Looks like a BAD imitation of 'The Managent Advantage' series by Casey Shoopman and crew. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=86TAhqLX34s)
Which is actually a good flick..,

Funny how people can't just get into trapping...

Gotta become a YouTube sensation ?

Going to be a trapping celebrity ?

Seriously....catch a pile of yotes first or go film someone who actually can.

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5542796 01/14/15 08:35 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Good job OP. Keep it up.

Absolutely amazed at some of these post SMDH at the utter hypocritical take on it.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5543027 01/14/15 10:00 PM
daniel1381 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
So do you sell the fur ? Whats the going rate on yote fur? Keep up the good job and forget th e rest

Benjamin Franklin

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: Big Daddy K] #5543075 01/14/15 10:20 PM
T
thruxton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Big Daddy K
Good job OP. Keep it up.

Absolutely amazed at some of these post SMDH at the utter hypocritical take on it.

Being a hypocrite would imply that we use the same tasteless tactics as the OP.

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5543085 01/14/15 10:23 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I think the trapping part is great and I actually clicked on it to learn something (I did thank you)since I intend to thin out our local population this year through trapping. That said I also see the point about the video showing them down and submissive before you killed them. The wrong people can and will make use of this type of film to make their point. You can't help but see a "sweet scared dog" in the video instead of the deer slaying machines these things really are.
Keep up the good work thinning the pack and consider making your videos like you started this one; teaching how to do it.
I'd like to suggest that you could make a really informative set of videos that document what you do, how you do it, what you learned as well as what works and doesn't. Certainly show 5 yotes stacked in the back of the truck to demonstrate the effectiveness of your methods and what you have learned. That's the reality of trapping or hunting, just ease up on the things that can be used against you and the rest of us. Good luck to you.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: 7ARanch] #5543849 01/15/15 03:59 AM
D
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
I think the trapping part is great and I actually clicked on it to learn something (I did thank you)since I intend to thin out our local population this year through trapping. That said I also see the point about the video showing them down and submissive before you killed them. The wrong people can and will make use of this type of film to make their point. You can't help but see a "sweet scared dog" in the video instead of the deer slaying machines these things really are.
Keep up the good work thinning the pack and consider making your videos like you started this one; teaching how to do it.
I'd like to suggest that you could make a really informative set of videos that document what you do, how you do it, what you learned as well as what works and doesn't. Certainly show 5 yotes stacked in the back of the truck to demonstrate the effectiveness of your methods and what you have learned. That's the reality of trapping or hunting, just ease up on the things that can be used against you and the rest of us. Good luck to you.

Wow folks, I am stunned at this mixed bag of opinions. Not so much because of the content but because this is a Texas forum...
Being from Georgia, Texas has always seemed to me a place where such management activities such as trapping would be viewed as necessary and commonplace. I do reckon this isn't the first time I have been wrong.
Let me say first that I really do appreciate each of you taking the time to watch. It took many hours behind the computer to learn how to edit video and even more hours to learn how to trap. This was my first attempt at trapping and my first real attempt at video editing. When I set out to attempt to trap coyotes it was entirely due to the number of encounters I had with them during deer season here in Georgia. I didn't see my first coyote in the wild until I was 18 years old having hunted since I was 13. After my first sighting the encounters increased consecutively each year. The deer season before the winter when this video was filmed, I actually saw more coyotes than deer. I also noted that there were hardly any fawns in our trail camera pictures. Before we would have many pictures of fawns.
To make a long story short I came upon a few scientific studies done by two different southeasten universities regarding the impact the growing coyote population was having on the deer herd in our state.
One study in particular encouraged me to get in to trapping.
I know many of you have stated that I shouldn't have included certain scenes because I was causing the trapped coyotes more distress than needed. Let me say assuredly that there are no shots in this video that took longer than a few minutes to get. I strongly feel that my filming is no different than a catch and release angler. Said angler does not plan to use the fish he or she catches, so why put the fish through the distress of a hook through the lip and a weakening fight (especially for a bedded female) for the sake of a picture? And lets say this fish was caught in a tournament and is driven 2 miles to the weigh in station... Lets say the fish was caught in a small farm pond... why cause the fish further distress after catching it by waiting for your friend to fumble with his or her iphone to capture a picture? Shouldn't the angler just release the fish thus causing it no more distress? Why sport fish at all in that case? Why cause unneeded distress on these beautiful creatures for the mere sake of sport?
Some say "We all know what comes next..." Yes we do. But I wanted to capture every aspect of my first trapline, so I included it. I'm sick and tired of the outdoor community adjusting their ways to suit the anti-hunters. I equate the anti-hunters to modern day Islamic terrorists. Take what is happening across the pond right now, for example. News outlets, cartoonists, journalists are afraid to report honestly in fear of an attack. That's what the anti-hunters want. They want us to be afraid to be honest in what we do. They want to place some subconscious grain of guilt in to our hearts. But that's just it, I've placed the moral blade against the grindstone of my heart. All of the criticisms brought up in the comments above were heavily considered before editing the video. Before deciding to film this shot or that shot. Even before deciding to trap.
I also want to say that the traps I use are, to my knowledge, the most humane traps that a trapper can purchase. They don't break the dog's leg. They are simply a paw holder. I paid extra money for these traps just for this reason.
But this mixed bag of opinions regarding my video, to me, is an ominous sign. An undeniable sign that the politically correct, the liberal class, the anti-hunters have indeed instilled that small grain of guilt, of shame, of self-doubt, whatever you want to call it, in enough hunters to cause us to flinch at the truth of what it is we do.
While trapping, dogs cower. While trapping, dogs jerk against the anchored chain. While trapping, dogs inevitably bleed. While trapping, dogs die. To me, my video was the truth. Or at least my best representation of the truth at the time with my own limited knowledge. Other than a few brief moments of the dogs remaining in the trap in order for me to get a shot, nothing was any different than had I not been filming at all.
Some of you see fit to crucify me for this. I'll bear that cross. Just know that you crucify a brother.
If the anti-hunters win and trapping is outlawed, it will not be due to videos such as mine. It will be due to our community not embracing, entirely, what it is that we do when we got out in to the woods and wild.
What you seem to want is a hunting show that edits out the kill shots.
That's not my style.
And never will be.
For those few that agree with what I have posted here, you can find me and my small group of buddies on facebook at the page The Deer Hunting Hippies of North Georgia and on instagram @deer_hunting_hippies
If you've read anything by Henry David Thoreau or Ralph Waldo Emerson or enjoy a bit of Thomas Paine, like our page. Cold Mountain has shaped my philosophy as well.
Good day brothers and sisters

Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie] #5543891 01/15/15 04:17 AM
T
to2000 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I thought your video was great. These people bustin your balls are more than likely city boy wanta be hunters. Dont let them get to you. They lease some land throw up a feeder and hunt on the wknds during deer season. Keep trapping them and showing your footage however you please. Most of these boys are the ones scared to death while walking to their deer blinds in the dark. Keep it up bud!!!!!!

Ps-city folks need to stay in the city

Last edited by to2000; 01/15/15 04:18 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide