6238609 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#5540408 - 01/13/15 01:13 PM My first coyote trap-line **video**
deerhuntinghippie Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Georgia
I was new to both trapping and video work and video editing when I made this but in hindsight I'm glad I brought the camera with me and documented my first attempt at trapping. I'm currently working on chapter 2 of my little video trapping journal. Hope you folks enjoy.

Edited by deerhuntinghippie (01/13/15 01:15 PM)

#5540417 - 01/13/15 01:15 PM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
deerhuntinghippie Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Georgia

#5540491 - 01/13/15 01:42 PM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
thruxton Offline
Bird Dog

People actually still do this unethical [censored]?

Edited by thruxton (01/13/15 01:42 PM)

#5540582 - 01/13/15 02:13 PM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: thruxton]
brucet Offline
Tracker

Loc: Richardson Tx
Originally Posted By: thruxton

^^^ This
I can see hunting them, but not trapping them

#5540670 - 01/13/15 02:44 PM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: North of Wylie
The coyote population needs to managed along with the other animals, they go hand in hand with management practices. It is the most effective way to control the population. Think I'll start my sets this weekend. Coyote population seems to have exploded at our ranch, when everything was in peril from the drought over the last few years.

#5540676 - 01/13/15 02:50 PM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Lost

Very good video editing, and congrats on your successful trap line.

With that said, I know trapping has its place, but I don't think it should be put on youtube the way you did it. Way too much struggling animal and blood footage for most people (including me).

Anti and non hunters could have a hayday with that footage.

Just my take on it.

Good luck with your trapping efforts.

#5540844 - 01/13/15 04:14 PM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
jtprocaddie Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Houston, Texas
Why not shoot them at a distance once trapped? Why the extra work of walking close to scare it and have it suffer more? I understand trapping has it's place and they need to be removed, but the way you did this just to "edit a video" is not an ethical way of trapping or hunting. All the camera shots to have the animal with its head down and looks submissive and scared, and knowing its life is over is just a dick move. Also the part of showing all the blood on the ground just for dramatic effect? What is the point of that exactly, or its purpose for the video?

Nice job on the trapping, crappy job on the video and execution of the whole journal.

Next time- trap, spot, kill from a distance quick and clean.

#5541726 - 01/14/15 01:27 AM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker

Loc: S texas
See how the footage effects other hunters and outdoorsman. Imagine what the antis do with this stuff, fuel for their fire man, keep that in mind as you progress as a trapper, less is more sometimes you know. Seems to me that your more involved in making a movie then getting the job done. Do it like a professional and think about what you put in the publics eye. Lots of people will see that that you don't want to. For every dollar that goes to lobbyist to protect our rights to trap the antis give 10. Just some food for thought, good start but I really don't see the point of all that for a couple coyotes, if you wanna keep a "journal" keep it for your records to improve your trapping as in what you did at each set with wind and weather conditions and use it as a tool not for media purposes
361-793-6706

#5541754 - 01/14/15 05:30 AM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: thruxton]
bdotson Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bullard TX

You got to be kidding!! I think you are doing a great service to the wildlife. I know the coyote population is out of control and we trap and kill as many as we can. I just got another dozen mb550 traps in last week. Keep up the good work and dont let those who live on concrete tell you how to run your business. Kill em all

Edited by bdotson (01/14/15 07:22 AM)

#5541954 - 01/14/15 08:17 AM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
huntnelmo Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Weatherford
OMG guys...if you are that afraid of the antis then get out and vote and stand up for your rights...trapping is part of our nations history and heritage...if you wonder were all your deer have gone try setting out a few traps yourself. We cannot keep hiding in the shadows hoping antis and critics will pass us by...stand up for our rights, heritage and what you believe!

#5542011 - 01/14/15 08:34 AM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
song dog down Offline
Woodsman

popcorn

#5542088 - 01/14/15 09:05 AM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: huntnelmo]
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker

Loc: S texas
Originally Posted By: huntnelmo
OMG guys...if you are that afraid of the antis then get out and vote and stand up for your rights...trapping is part of our nations history and heritage...if you wonder were all your deer have gone try setting out a few traps yourself. We cannot keep hiding in the shadows hoping antis and critics will pass us by...stand up for our rights, heritage and what you believe!

What organizations are you involved in, what bills have you talked to congressman about, done any help or lobbying for other states rights, are you aware that antis have nearly shut down trapping in about 6 states, and no intentions of slowing down. Would you like texas to become a cage only state as well. I don't think so, get on the phone and talk to some of board members of the nta and see if they tell you to promote trapping this way. It's all about what the public eye sees and how they interpret it. This is not the way to promote trapping. I make a living from trapping and fur handling so I'm pretty keen on these subjects and can go on for days. Trapping and fur taking is in every mans blood like it or not and should be a natural instinct to want to harvest fur, I trap and handle fur over 200 days of the year so don't think I'm some softy from the concrete jungle. All I said was that it is not smart to put these images in the public eye. The coyotes not suffering in the video but you show that to young woman with her daddy's deep pockets and a mission to save every animal in the world then that footage is simply copied and put in the next PETA video. I'm all for killin every coyote out there but you have to be smart or you start ruffling feathers, just like this video did. Don't post it, go about your business and be humble and enjoy trapping, don't make videos of coyotes dancin, just dispatch move on to the next one, I dunno any other real trappers would agree, kinda like an unwritten rule
361-793-6706

#5542113 - 01/14/15 09:13 AM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: deerhuntinghippie]
Cole P Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: East of Dallas
Deerhuntinghippie - Go check out Trapperman. There is a lot you can learn there about trapping and trapping etiquette; especially talking about/ showing kill methods. Lots of good guys there, you've probably even seen this site.

Everyone else - This guy is hunting just as legally as any of you. He is getting out and enjoying wildlife while observing different tools of management. Stop harassing this man for doing what he enjoys, most of y'all have never even trapped before. You can actually manage a coyote population with a few traps and some know how. Taking pot shots at yotes out of your deer stand isn't management.

This is someone from that does hunt, fish & traps.

#5542179 - 01/14/15 09:34 AM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: Txcatman1]
huntnelmo Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Weatherford
Focus that rage somewhere than at a fellow hunter...if what you believe is true than we should remove the photo section from all the hunting sights !

#5542248 - 01/14/15 10:00 AM Re: My first coyote trap-line **video** [Re: bdotson]
thruxton Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: bdotson

You got to be kidding!! I think you are doing a great service to the wildlife. I know the coyote population is out of control and we trap and kill as many as we can. I just got another dozen mb550 traps in last week. Keep up the good work and dont let those who live on concrete tell you how to run your business. Kill em all

There's a difference in ethical and unethical hunting, yeah? There's a reason trapping is becoming a thing of the past in many states now. I like to hunt just as much as the next guy, but making an animal suffer is not apart of what we as hunting enthusiasts are about, nor should we promote it. Like TXcatman said, get the job done. Don't put an animal in more distress for the benefit of making a video. Plus, there are more effective ways to getting rid of pests...and you kind of signed up for dealing with these animals if you have land. Not their fault.

P.S. go stick your foot in a trap and sit with it for hours on end.

Edited by thruxton (01/14/15 10:02 AM)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide