Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Spike Bucks #5538647 01/13/15 01:17 AM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Once a spike always a spike? I've seen two spikes on camera this year that look to be 3-4 inches in length and I've also seen a few 4 pointers that seem to be of the same age. Never seen an older spike on this E Texas property in 5 years so I'm assuming these are just young deer and will hopefully have potential one day. Any thoughts?

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5538697 01/13/15 01:41 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Myth. Plenty of rumors and saying about spikes, but "once a spike, always a spike" is the most said and the most false.

Different thoughts concerning spikes. IMO, it doesn't hurt to take them, but without all other management practices firing on all cylinders, you aren't going to see a difference.

One line of thought on lower populated places is to let them live and hope for an exception. If you have a higher population, take them out to help with population control.

Not convinced they are always inferior, but playing the odds of percentages, they are lowest on the totem pole.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5538800 01/13/15 02:12 AM
W
WesTexHunter75 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
I've read several articles about this. Seems like opinions are all over the place. I don't like to shoot them unless I know for sure they are older than 1 1/2. Could be they are a spike cause they were a late fawn also. We shot a 7 yo spike about 3 yrs ago. Had 14" spikes. Looked like a blackbuck at first glance in the trail cam photo.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5538822 01/13/15 02:17 AM
A
aggiehunter3 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/galleries/photo-gallery-from-buttons-to-booner

Really cool age progression of a buck that was a spike his first year.

Last edited by aggiehunter3; 01/13/15 02:36 AM.
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5538841 01/13/15 02:23 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Most spikes are younger deer, typically 1.5. It has been shown that there is a higher propensity for spikes in overpopulated herds that exceed the carrying capacity of their range where poor nutitrition is a contributing factor. Late born buck fawns (there mother was bred late - second rut or to a 1st year doe) have a higher propensity to be spikes as well. Then there is just flat out bad genes. In any case, I'm of the belief that spikes are very likely to have nferior antlers their lifetime compared to the same age class bucks that were fork antlered at 1.5. If your herd is under the carrying capacity and buck to doe ratio is in line so that does don't go without being bred the first cycle, then spikes are likely genetically inferior and should not be protected in my opinion. If your herd is over the carrying capacity, then both spikes and does should be equally at the top of the hit list to reduce the number of mouths to feed. Yes. There are exceptions where spikes end up being nice trophies, but I'd take my chances on tne fork antlered youngster turning into tne better trophy.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: Big_Ag] #5539297 01/13/15 04:44 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
Most spikes are younger deer, typically 1.5. It has been shown that there is a higher propensity for spikes in overpopulated herds that exceed the carrying capacity of their range where poor nutitrition is a contributing factor. Late born buck fawns (there mother was bred late - second rut or to a 1st year doe) have a higher propensity to be spikes as well. Then there is just flat out bad genes. In any case, I'm of the belief that spikes are very likely to have nferior antlers their lifetime compared to the same age class bucks that were fork antlered at 1.5. If your herd is under the carrying capacity and buck to doe ratio is in line so that does don't go without being bred the first cycle, then spikes are likely genetically inferior and should not be protected in my opinion. If your herd is over the carrying capacity, then both spikes and does should be equally at the top of the hit list to reduce the number of mouths to feed. Yes. There are exceptions where spikes end up being nice trophies, but I'd take my chances on tne fork antlered youngster turning into tne better trophy.

Exactly the way I feel.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: aggiehunter3] #5539508 01/13/15 12:42 PM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: aggiehunter3
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/galleries/photo-gallery-from-buttons-to-booner

Very interesting. Identifying particular bucks from year to year is difficult for me, but I have a good shot with many more pictures than previous years.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5539632 01/13/15 02:05 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: titan2232

Very interesting. Identifying particular bucks from year to year is difficult for me, but I have a good shot with many more pictures than previous years.

Unless they have a docked tail, scar, ear tag, etc. how do you know which fork horn/8pt etc. was a spike or fork horn or whatever from the year before? Maybe some that spend a crazy amount of time in the field could, but I don't think even your most dedicated hunters could tell the difference unless their feeder was in their back yard or they manage the ranch for a living and see the deer every day.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: aggiehunter3] #5539633 01/13/15 02:06 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Great link, almost feel like I knew the buck after going through the commentary and photos up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5539685 01/13/15 02:29 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

Exactly the way I feel.
Yep

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: Western] #5539737 01/13/15 02:50 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Western

Great link, almost feel like I knew the buck after going through the commentary and photos up

Yeah, I was saddened by his decline and death, which is a weird ambivalence for a guy who likes deer hunting as much as I do.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5539752 01/13/15 02:54 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I followed a spike through 4 years. An 8 point at 4 years. No larger or smaller than the average deer around here.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5539770 01/13/15 03:00 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I've only ever seen 2 spikes on our place and this year to fill the freezer and save a better buck I took the spike. He tasted as good as any + I made the kids some cool whistles from the spikes. Now the better bucks at the feeder get a little more groceries too.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540122 01/13/15 05:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Don't overthink it. When a spike shows up that appears the same size and age of other deer you have seen in the area that carry one or more forked antlers, remove him.

Simply put, let the better ones walk and remove those that lag them. Common sense dictates that all the deer in a given area share the same food sources. The only thing they don't share is the same genetics. And you don't need a degree in Wildlife Biology to know that.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540138 01/13/15 05:20 PM
D
Dadeo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I think it depends on were you are hunting.

If I only see one or two young spikes, I will give them a chance.

However I have hunted a ranch in south texas were if you saW a spike you took it out.

And after about five years we have zero spikes.

All 1 1/2 old have small eight point racks.

I have not even seen a six.

So I guess it works.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540189 01/13/15 05:44 PM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
It'll be interesting to see this bachelor group next season of the two young 4 points and spike. They were seen on a regular basis right before bow season and for past several weeks now. Seeing them in their groups may be my only way to identify them for the upcoming season.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540233 01/13/15 06:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: titan2232
It'll be interesting to see this bachelor group next season of the two young 4 points and spike. They were seen on a regular basis right before bow season and for past several weeks now. Seeing them in their groups may be my only way to identify them for the upcoming season.

Keep us posted.

People like to call out those spikes which later became better deer. But what you seldom see is a comparison to what his better peers looked like later as well.

Nearly all spikes will develop forked antlers given time. The point is how they will compare to their better peers.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: Texas Dan] #5540240 01/13/15 06:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Don't overthink it. When a spike shows up that appears the same size and age of other deer you have seen in the area that carry one or more forked antlers, remove him.

Simply put, let the better ones walk and remove those that lag them. Common sense dictates that all the deer in a given area share the same food sources. The only thing they don't share is the same genetics. And you don't need a degree in Wildlife Biology to know that.

Wrong... Juvenile deer are like juvenile kids.. Good mothers put their kids a heads, but the runts will catch up in time

Late born fawns are behind body structure wise, but catch up with age.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540248 01/13/15 06:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Wrong... Juvenile deer are like juvenile kids.. Good mothers put their kids a heads, but the runts will catch up in time

That's like saying every girl will develop, well, you get the point.

Ain't going to happen.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540253 01/13/15 06:12 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

yawn Show me those 1000's of spikes turning to 170+ class bucks you have pictures of then. popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540254 01/13/15 06:12 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Reading is funduhmental.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: Texas Dan] #5540259 01/13/15 06:15 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Ain't going to happen.

Dan that's like trying to guess which young ladys will develop, well, by looking at 2 year old kids... I think it actually hurts your case more than it helps.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5540260 01/13/15 06:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Reading is funduhmental.

So you can weight deer on the hoof? All 5'0 guys are the same frame?

Again until a deer reaches structural maturity you have zero idea what head gear he will support.

Keep shooting young bucks.....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: Texas Dan] #5540271 01/13/15 06:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Ain't going to happen.

Did you actually read this? You're anology supports my case.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540274 01/13/15 06:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Reading is funduhmental.

So you can weight deer on the hoof? All 5'0 guys are the same frame?

Again until a deer reaches structural maturity you have zero idea what head gear he will support.

Keep shooting young bucks.....

Trying to compare deer to people or livestock is about the same don't you think? Show me all those pics of those 1000's of spikes that turned into 170+ bucks? popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide