Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: 4Weight] #5539533 01/13/15 01:00 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: 4Weight
Glad it did not escalate but sounds more a fence neighbor disagreement than poaching.

4W I was thinking the exact same thing. Still not sure about whose's side of the fence the deer was 1st shot on but the hunter was obviously in the wrong even if wounded on his side and following it to the other side without seeking permission to do so. Also not sure I'm in full agreement with the "authoritative attitude" your son supposedly took even if on your property considering loaded guns and what not. That could have been a dangerous situation in the makings. With guns really doesn't matter if your son is bigger or tougher than the other guy either; think I would have followed a more de-escalating route personally but to each their own.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539590 01/13/15 01:39 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Your family is much more gracious than I would have been.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539599 01/13/15 01:44 PM
M
Mambajeep Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Hard situation to be in considering both parties had guns. I would have at least reported it to the GW and put it in his hands. Glad no one was hurt

Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539611 01/13/15 01:53 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
No easy answers there. Good luck going forward.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539637 01/13/15 02:06 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Your son should have asked the hunter to pose with the buck while took the picture coolpics
Afterword's asking him for his address so he could send him a copy of the picture clap
The picture could have been hand delivered by the GW cowboy

[Linked Image]
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539659 01/13/15 02:21 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
So... just curious, what is the spread on that buck? bolt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Pope&Young] #5539667 01/13/15 02:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Your son should have asked the hunter to pose with the buck while took the picture coolpics
Afterword's asking him for his address so he could send him a copy of the picture clap
The picture could have been hand delivered by the GW cowboy

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539677 01/13/15 02:26 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
loaded guns means people must shoot people and you should be jumpy and worry about this at all times...... not like they can solve matters peacefully that would just be a dumb thought to think...

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Navasot] #5539758 01/13/15 02:57 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Your land y'all made the call and good on you cheers not everyone is gona resort to hurtin someone over a deer.. bet it was a site to see when he told him that's my deer now soooooo by roflmao
I would guess that even with the blood being on your side of the fence the buck was actually on his side when he shot. Sounds like the buck was going to his feeder thats on your fence and caught his scent. Turned to bolt and jump the fence and he shot him in the arc. Probably ignorant to the fact that jumping a fence to look for "HIS" buck is even trespassing. I've been at numerous deer camps where guys had no idea that they were not supposed to cross a fence without permission to retrieve a deer.

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539781 01/13/15 03:04 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Too many Nuts out there nowadays; I'm not willing to shoot anyone over a deer and don't want to get shot over one either. In that situation, I'd try and keep a cooler head and if needed get the Game Wardens involved.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539784 01/13/15 03:06 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Trespassing to find a wounded deer is about the only form of trespassing that doesn't bother me. I know the landowners will disagree but it seems it is asking a lot for a lease member to track down the owner of the adjacent piece of property to go get a deer (that you can possibly see lying). What if the landowner doesn't answer his phone or lives out of state and you have no number for him?

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539789 01/13/15 03:10 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Post, I tend to agree with you on that one. If it can be distinctly established that a shot occurred on one's property, obvious blood (significant in nature) and ultimately determined to be a fatal shot executed, I would likely not get overly bent out of shape if someone reasonably retrieved that fatally shot deer. This was pretty common practice back years ago.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: postoak] #5539806 01/13/15 03:16 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: postoak
Trespassing to find a wounded deer is about the only form of trespassing that doesn't bother me. I know the landowners will disagree but it seems it is asking a lot for a lease member to track down the owner of the adjacent piece of property to go get a deer (that you can possibly see lying). What if the landowner doesn't answer his phone or lives out of state and you have no number for him?

I tend to agree... but then again if the guys feeder was 5 foot off the fence I would maybe feel differently again, its just asking for trouble.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: postoak] #5539856 01/13/15 03:42 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Isn't that hard to find out who your neighbors are before you run into this situation. If you are going to hunt a fence line where you run a very high chance of running into this situation, it is irresponsible not to contact them before the season IMO.

Many times, the land owner of the place you are hunting knows their neighbors and might be able to contact them for you.

Not every owner can be located and many properties are owned by a corporation instead of a single person, but that still doesn't give folks the right to hop a fence. Not saying I wouldn't go get my deer if I had exhausted all avenues though grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: txshntr] #5539934 01/13/15 04:08 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Isn't that hard to find out who your neighbors are before you run into this situation. If you are going to hunt a fence line where you run a very high chance of running into this situation, it is irresponsible not to contact them before the season IMO.

Many times, the land owner of the place you are hunting knows their neighbors and might be able to contact them for you.

Not every owner can be located and many properties are owned by a corporation instead of a single person, but that still doesn't give folks the right to hop a fence. Not saying I wouldn't go get my deer if I had exhausted all avenues though grin

Before this season even got under way I contacted both of my neighbors that border our place. I asked them if by chance I had an animal cross into their property would it be ok for me to retrieve the animal. I also offered to try and call them if and when it happened but cell phone is spotty in that area. Both were more than accommodating. Let them both know that they could do the same and that also I'd keep on eye out on their properties when I was in the area and let them know if I saw anything going on. I want to be a good neighbor and want good neighbors as well! up

Last edited by blazin; 01/13/15 04:10 PM.
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5539967 01/13/15 04:23 PM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Classic case of the fence line hunter...happens to everyone these days

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5540302 01/13/15 06:31 PM
B
bodydub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
That situation could've gotten ugly, quick. Tresspassers and loaded guns go south in a hurry. I would've called the sherrif and told him I have a tresspasser and he has a loaded gun. That way the sherrif would've been there in like now.....................

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5540663 01/13/15 08:41 PM
L
Lima Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
we know who owns the property next to ours. we don't know who does the hunting on said property. we've had guns shown to us on our property before, and guns were shown back. that person has since died. we don't want access closed off to us, so its better to just deal with the problem as it arises. theres no way to stop the hunting on our property, especialy when it occurs all year long. we don't live out there, and most times its someone that has friends out there. rather than escalate the problem by getting the GW or sherriff involved, we would rather just continue as it is until a solution can be found to the problem. no since starting a war over hunting. its not like we use the property for anything. just a tree farm and hunt ground for my family.

and the spread on the buck was 14 inches. just barely legal.

Last edited by Lima; 01/13/15 08:45 PM.
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5540728 01/13/15 09:24 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
You clearly need to rethink this.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5540788 01/13/15 09:47 PM
D
DAN-O Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Put up trail cams by the feeder he has. Then put up trail-cams on the trail cams so if he comes over and steals/vandalizes them, you have him in camera doing so. Sounds like he shot it on his place or very near the fence. You will never know for sure. Just because the blood trail doesn't start or his side does not mean it wasn't shot there. He was a horrible shot however. No way he should not have been able to drop it in its tracks if it was at a feeder.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5541010 01/13/15 11:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I think the trespasser was lucky to not have charges filed against him. As was said, if your hunting on a fence line this is one of the negatives that goes with it.

If you've exhausted all resources trying to contact the landowner before you cross the fence and trespass, you should NEVER be armed. Period.

If the deer is still alive you leave it and hope you can eventually get permission to go look for it later. If you don't get permission, you don't return. Period.

As far as handling things differently, I know if it were me and I heard the shot that close I'm sure I would investigate as well, although that definitely is not the safe way to handle it.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: SouthWestIron] #5541044 01/14/15 12:16 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: blazin
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Before this season even got under way I contacted both of my neighbors that border our place. I asked them if by chance I had an animal cross into their property would it be ok for me to retrieve the animal. I also offered to try and call them if and when it happened but cell phone is spotty in that area. Both were more than accommodating. Let them both know that they could do the same and that also I'd keep on eye out on their properties when I was in the area and let them know if I saw anything going on. I want to be a good neighbor and want good neighbors as well! up
That is how you do it right there blazin. Have cookouts and invite them over at night.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5541923 01/14/15 02:03 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I agree with the gun vs. confrontation, but after the fact I would have given the GW or LEO a chance to work their magic. In all likelihood, the law has had problems with this poaching deal on other property and I would not be surprised if the poacher had not been on their watch list.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5542163 01/14/15 03:29 PM
M
MAP Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Quote:
we've had guns shown to us on our property before, and guns were shown back. that person has since died.

bolt

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5542285 01/14/15 04:13 PM
H
hermano W Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
From what the OP stated, he doesn't have a deeded right of way to access his property. To get to his property he has to cross the neighbors property where the fence line feeder is. That's what makes the situation complicated and keeps them from getting law enforcement involved unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I would suggest that you look for a way to meet with your neighbor and calmly explain that the feeder being so close to the fence has the potential of causing an accident. Explain that you were there unaware someone was hunting that feeder and a bullet shot toward the feeder from his side would most likely cross onto your side putting you in danger. If you haven't already done it, you need to exchange phone numbers. If he doesn't want to move the feeder, at least ask him to give you a call when someone is going to hunt that feeder. Most people are fairly reasonable, but not all. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide