#5538686 - 01/12/15 07:39 PM Takes the skill out of it
upsslim Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Cooper, TX

#5538836 - 01/12/15 08:21 PM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: upsslim]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Didn't watch the videos. What's it do to compensate for wind way down range of 300 yards?

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5539869 - 01/13/15 09:46 AM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: upsslim]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Of all people, FJG, I thought you would be up on Tracking Point rifles. Basically, it is a computer controlled reticle whereby all of the cartridge data is known by the computer. It does some compass, GPS, barometric pressures, and angle compensation, and you still have to plug in the wind reading...which is still the absolute hardest part of the job.

So with all that information, you "tag" a target which is basically lasering the target and the spot you lasered appears on the screen. The dot holds its position in space. Even if the rifle moves off target. You can then pull the trigger and the gun will not fire until the crosshair align with the marked dot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13i-JRqFKF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar25BbobK4s

While they call it "Tracking Point," it apparently helps if the target remains stationary. What you don't see in the videos is a target dot tag being marked on a moving target where the target dot track the spot on the target where marked. I just reviewed a bunch on their videos on Youtube and I don't see a single one where the target is moving and they show the dot actually following the target around.

It is cool technology and has some neat benefits, especially for handicapped hunters.

Also what you don't see in all the Tracking Point videos is a lone hunter going after a target at long distance. They have a whole crew there to help out the hunter.

This is a fine video. It shows all the animals being shot stationary. The shooting team is assessing the wind, discussing it, and plugging in the information into the computer. Several of the animals get center-punched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbEg608GO80

#5540103 - 01/13/15 11:04 AM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: upsslim]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
It is impressive technology, but does not eliminate the uman error, only makes the human rely on technology to continously and consistently work. We tested a few of their systems and while it got the distance correct every time, it also got the windage correct prob 75% of the time. We did moving and shooting with it, tracking a target at unknown distances moving at unknown speeds at unknown angles. This is where TP shined. It has small gyros inside that measures your every movement and constantly reads the targets movements. The downside, it requires the use of their gun and barrel(very important) along with their ammo(very expensive). It reads and records how many rounds were fired after cleaning, and will even indicate when the barrel needs cleaning from what I remember, and it takes this into account and adjust for dirty or clean barrels. In the end, it still requires the operator to squeeze the trigger and have the skills to place the shot, since we obviously cant control the bullet once it leaves the barrel.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#5540112 - 01/13/15 11:08 AM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: upsslim]
Whiptail Online   content
Woodsman

That's nothing. The Exacto bullet guides itself to the target.

#5540156 - 01/13/15 11:29 AM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: upsslim]
cameron00 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Texas
I avoid projectiles all together by setting motion-sensitive claymore mines at my feeders.

Sure, you get some young ones, but you get them every time.

#5541944 - 01/14/15 08:12 AM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: Double Naught Spy]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

I have seen it a bit before, and quickly dissmissed it. It looks to me like a computer is attempting to replace the knowledge an experienced rifleman has earned by watching lots of bullets down range. With a budget of $3k a rifle system can be built, and placed in the right hands, out shoot this system. The non-computerized version is available to far more people and they can learn how to use it properly with enough practice. I view this as another way to make a short cut and only attainable by the wealthy.

The wind is the last factor we are whittling all other factors down to. Proper technique, a well built rifle (mass produced or custom), precision matched ammo, and the proper optic are all factors we can control. We can even make accurate predictions of vertical trajectory corrections due to temp and baro. What we have no control over is wind. All we can do is practice shooting in the wind and learn from it. And the only way to attain near mastery of correct wind adjustments is lots of practice. I am still practicing wind because I have not mastered it yet.

#5541967 - 01/14/15 08:21 AM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: upsslim]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
At distance the wind can never be mastered.

#5542549 - 01/14/15 12:31 PM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Definately some truth to that. I know some guys that rarely make the wrong wind call (not me), but they are not 100%.

#5542805 - 01/14/15 02:41 PM Re: Takes the skill out of it [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
At distance the wind can never be mastered.

Agree, just have to deal with it the best you can.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide