6249585 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#5538647 - 01/12/15 07:17 PM Spike Bucks
titan2232 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Conroe, TX
Once a spike always a spike? I've seen two spikes on camera this year that look to be 3-4 inches in length and I've also seen a few 4 pointers that seem to be of the same age. Never seen an older spike on this E Texas property in 5 years so I'm assuming these are just young deer and will hopefully have potential one day. Any thoughts?

#5538697 - 01/12/15 07:41 PM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Myth. Plenty of rumors and saying about spikes, but "once a spike, always a spike" is the most said and the most false.

Different thoughts concerning spikes. IMO, it doesn't hurt to take them, but without all other management practices firing on all cylinders, you aren't going to see a difference.

One line of thought on lower populated places is to let them live and hope for an exception. If you have a higher population, take them out to help with population control.

Not convinced they are always inferior, but playing the odds of percentages, they are lowest on the totem pole.

#5538800 - 01/12/15 08:12 PM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
WesTexHunter75 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Midland, tx
I've read several articles about this. Seems like opinions are all over the place. I don't like to shoot them unless I know for sure they are older than 1 1/2. Could be they are a spike cause they were a late fawn also. We shot a 7 yo spike about 3 yrs ago. Had 14" spikes. Looked like a blackbuck at first glance in the trail cam photo.

#5538822 - 01/12/15 08:17 PM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
aggiehunter3 Offline
Bird Dog

http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/galleries/photo-gallery-from-buttons-to-booner

Really cool age progression of a buck that was a spike his first year.

Edited by aggiehunter3 (01/12/15 08:36 PM)

#5538841 - 01/12/15 08:23 PM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Denton or Knox County
Most spikes are younger deer, typically 1.5. It has been shown that there is a higher propensity for spikes in overpopulated herds that exceed the carrying capacity of their range where poor nutitrition is a contributing factor. Late born buck fawns (there mother was bred late - second rut or to a 1st year doe) have a higher propensity to be spikes as well. Then there is just flat out bad genes. In any case, I'm of the belief that spikes are very likely to have nferior antlers their lifetime compared to the same age class bucks that were fork antlered at 1.5. If your herd is under the carrying capacity and buck to doe ratio is in line so that does don't go without being bred the first cycle, then spikes are likely genetically inferior and should not be protected in my opinion. If your herd is over the carrying capacity, then both spikes and does should be equally at the top of the hit list to reduce the number of mouths to feed. Yes. There are exceptions where spikes end up being nice trophies, but I'd take my chances on tne fork antlered youngster turning into tne better trophy.

#5539297 - 01/12/15 10:44 PM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: Big_Ag]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
Most spikes are younger deer, typically 1.5. It has been shown that there is a higher propensity for spikes in overpopulated herds that exceed the carrying capacity of their range where poor nutitrition is a contributing factor. Late born buck fawns (there mother was bred late - second rut or to a 1st year doe) have a higher propensity to be spikes as well. Then there is just flat out bad genes. In any case, I'm of the belief that spikes are very likely to have nferior antlers their lifetime compared to the same age class bucks that were fork antlered at 1.5. If your herd is under the carrying capacity and buck to doe ratio is in line so that does don't go without being bred the first cycle, then spikes are likely genetically inferior and should not be protected in my opinion. If your herd is over the carrying capacity, then both spikes and does should be equally at the top of the hit list to reduce the number of mouths to feed. Yes. There are exceptions where spikes end up being nice trophies, but I'd take my chances on tne fork antlered youngster turning into tne better trophy.

Exactly the way I feel.

#5539508 - 01/13/15 06:42 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: aggiehunter3]
titan2232 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Conroe, TX
Originally Posted By: aggiehunter3
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/galleries/photo-gallery-from-buttons-to-booner

Very interesting. Identifying particular bucks from year to year is difficult for me, but I have a good shot with many more pictures than previous years.

#5539632 - 01/13/15 08:05 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: titan2232

Very interesting. Identifying particular bucks from year to year is difficult for me, but I have a good shot with many more pictures than previous years.

Unless they have a docked tail, scar, ear tag, etc. how do you know which fork horn/8pt etc. was a spike or fork horn or whatever from the year before? Maybe some that spend a crazy amount of time in the field could, but I don't think even your most dedicated hunters could tell the difference unless their feeder was in their back yard or they manage the ranch for a living and see the deer every day.

#5539633 - 01/13/15 08:06 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: aggiehunter3]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas

Great link, almost feel like I knew the buck after going through the commentary and photos up

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5539685 - 01/13/15 08:29 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
landsurveyor Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Annetta TX
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

Exactly the way I feel.
Yep

#5539737 - 01/13/15 08:50 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: Western]
postoak Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
Originally Posted By: Western

Great link, almost feel like I knew the buck after going through the commentary and photos up

Yeah, I was saddened by his decline and death, which is a weird ambivalence for a guy who likes deer hunting as much as I do.

#5539752 - 01/13/15 08:54 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
I followed a spike through 4 years. An 8 point at 4 years. No larger or smaller than the average deer around here.

#5539770 - 01/13/15 09:00 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

I've only ever seen 2 spikes on our place and this year to fill the freezer and save a better buck I took the spike. He tasted as good as any + I made the kids some cool whistles from the spikes. Now the better bucks at the feeder get a little more groceries too.

#5540122 - 01/13/15 11:11 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Don't overthink it. When a spike shows up that appears the same size and age of other deer you have seen in the area that carry one or more forked antlers, remove him.

Simply put, let the better ones walk and remove those that lag them. Common sense dictates that all the deer in a given area share the same food sources. The only thing they don't share is the same genetics. And you don't need a degree in Wildlife Biology to know that.

Spring, Texas

#5540138 - 01/13/15 11:20 AM Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232]
Dadeo Offline
Outdoorsman

I think it depends on were you are hunting.

If I only see one or two young spikes, I will give them a chance.

However I have hunted a ranch in south texas were if you saW a spike you took it out.

And after about five years we have zero spikes.

All 1 1/2 old have small eight point racks.

I have not even seen a six.

So I guess it works.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide