6248900 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5537730 - 01/12/15 12:53 PM Taking your own dog
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
I would have paid Pointer to take Cracker on some of those recent trips. I'm not getting out as much as I once did. I know several people who have some very good bird dogs, and get invited to south Texas hunts, then told not to bring their dogs because the handlers of the hired dogs would not want them included.

That sounds like a crock to me. Those handlers love good dog worlk as much as you or I. I would and have insisted. I put my Cookie down in front of an outfitter several years ago. She pointed 6 coveys in 20 minutes. We had beer with the outfitter that night. He asked if we had any culls. I got invited to the exon lease where Delmer Smith was outfitting. He didn't want any other dogs. I didn't go.

What's your take? Pros speak up.

#5537796 - 01/12/15 01:32 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
MS1454 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
No pro but I would take a dog or two with me from people that I knew that wanted to get their dogs on birds. Not always easy to do and likewise I would allow my dog to how with someone else to hunt if I couldn't.

#5537804 - 01/12/15 01:35 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
THF Celebrity

Would you go on a hunt with a pro without your dog?

#5537835 - 01/12/15 01:45 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
iliketohunt Online   sleepy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Weatherford, TX
I wouldn't. I would rather gain experience with my dog on public and shoot one bird than hunt without him and get a limit.

#5537846 - 01/12/15 01:49 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
reeltexan Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Ovilla - TEXAS

If my dogs aren't going, I'm not going.

"Count that day lost whose low, descending sun
Is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun"
B. Spiller

#5537920 - 01/12/15 02:11 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: reeltexan]
MS1454 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Pretty much the same but if I was invited to an awesome ranch I probably would leave the dog once just to have the experience/fun.

#5538030 - 01/12/15 02:58 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
My V Dash has left me to hunt with pros. He spent about a month this season away from me on loan for a bird hunting trip to Montana. All his hunts there both public and private were assisted by a local guide and with other dogs. It was difficult for me, but I welcomed the experience for him.

As for the question, it depends on the circumstance. My dog is also used as a waterfowl retriever but if everyone brings their retriever on a group hunt it can be too much. I may not use my dog with the group, but my dog is going on the trip and almost always going to be hunted by me at another location the day before or after. Upland is different as it is not unusual for dogs to hunt together or be rotated.

Still I can understand being respectful if I am the guest, and it is the landowner or hosts wishes the guests not to use their own dogs on a hunt. Especially with mixed groups and people they do not know. I can usually feel that out without asking. And there are hunters on this forum that will never hunt along side my dogs because I hunt fur and feather. I understand the issues and thats ok, but I am bringing my dog to hunt on my own and may leave the group a day or more early to do so if not on the way to and from. So I may or may not choose to go if my dog is not allowed on the actual hunt, but I will not go if my dog is not allowed to go on the trip. Nor will I go if I can't line up my own hunt with my dog public or private nearby.

That said, I am obviously not much of a guided hunt, hunt with pros kind of guy. I too would like to hear the guide/outfitter take on the situation.

"Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. Oh! The places you'll go!" ~ Dr. Seuss

#5538062 - 01/12/15 03:14 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
colt45 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I would have paid Pointer to take Cracker on some of those recent trips. I'm not getting out as much as I once did. I know several people who have some very good bird dogs, and get invited to south Texas hunts, then told not to bring their dogs because the handlers of the hired dogs would not want them included.

That sounds like a crock to me. Those handlers love good dog worlk as much as you or I. I would and have insisted. I put my Cookie down in front of an outfitter several years ago. She pointed 6 coveys in 20 minutes. We had beer with the outfitter that night. He asked if we had any culls. I got invited to the exon lease where Delmer Smith was outfitting. He didn't want any other dogs. I didn't go.

What's your take? Pros speak up.
Bill agree with you 100%

#5538074 - 01/12/15 03:20 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
THF Celebrity

Some people seem to think that the pros are all business and in it just for the money. They're not. They love their dogs just as much as we love ours. They also appreciate good dog work and like to see other dogs.

I would never run a non backing dog in on anyone. A friend had that happen last year. His young dog pointed a covey in the open. The pup ran in and started dancing around in the middle of the covey. The owner shot. The owner of the flushing pup was a good friend of the host who owned the pointing pup. He told me later that his friend would not be invited back. Sometimes the handlers are more of a problem that the errant pups. They have a remote in their hand.

#5538127 - 01/12/15 03:48 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bishop, Texas
We always strive to please. The customers are paying for the trip. If you want your dog to hunt (of course you do!) we'll always try and make room for him on my truck. Now, that said, I am going to ask you to handle him. I am not going to ask you to handle my dogs, and I don't know your dog and don't want to try to handle him.

#5538150 - 01/12/15 03:59 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: Pointer]
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Whiskey Flats, TX
Originally Posted By: Pointer
We always strive to please. The customers are paying for the trip. If you want your dog to hunt (of course you do!) we'll always try and make room for him on my truck. Now, that said, I am going to ask you to handle him. I am not going to ask you to handle my dogs, and I don't know your dog and don't want to try to handle him.

+1. I tell them to clear it with the folks in their group. I've had all kinds of experiences; from the "high power pointer" that ran flat out for half mile, crashed through a bar wire fence then had to go vet to the boot licker that wouldn't leave his owners side. It's all fun.

#5538160 - 01/12/15 04:04 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: reeltexan]
rdh1 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Moffat,Tx
Originally Posted By: reeltexan

AMEN

#5538166 - 01/12/15 04:06 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
I'm not a pro and not a purist, but I have owned a lot of different hunting dogs and i have hunted with a lot of forum members and their dogs. One thing I have noticed with people hunting their dog with others for the first time almost as if they are worried their dog will be judged, or do something wrong, or they seem overly critical of their own dog when it is not perfect.

I appreciate good dog work as much as anyone yet I will never judge another man's dog. It annoys me went i see someone criticising another man's dog on a hunt when it is not constructive. If I invite someone to hunt with me, I don't care how behind in training your dog is, how much it screws up, how young and stupid, or how old and slow it is. I will want and expect you to bring your dog and my dog will either adapt to your dog or hunt independently. No matter what your dog will go home thinking I am it's new best friend.

And my dog and I are never going to be pefect, so don't invite me in the first place if you expect us to be. As a versatile hunting dog guy, your pro is probably going to have a heart attack anyway when his dog backs mine and I shoot the Rabbit mine was pointing or the Squirrel he was treeing. No really as a guest or in a hunt test I would wave him off with a leave it, but if the pro is my guest, the fur dies. Like i said, not a pro kind of guy and hope I never move in that direction ever again.

"Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. Oh! The places you'll go!" ~ Dr. Seuss

#5538190 - 01/12/15 04:16 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: Sniper John]
iliketohunt Online   sleepy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Weatherford, TX
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I'm not a pro and not a purist, but I have owned a lot of different hunting dogs and i have hunted with a lot of forum members and their dogs. One thing I have noticed with people hunting their dog with others for the first time almost as if they are worried their dog will be judged, or do something wrong, or they seem overly critical of their own dog when it is not perfect.

I appreciate good dog work as much as anyone yet I will never judge another man's dog. It annoys me went i see someone criticising another man's dog on a hunt when it is not constructive. If I invite someone to hunt with me, I don't care how behind in training your dog is, how much it screws up, how young and stupid, or how old and slow it is. I will want and expect you to bring your dog and my dog will either adapt to your dog or hunt independently. No matter what your dog will go home thinking I am it's new best friend.

And my dog and I are never going to be pefect, so don't invite me in the first place if you expect us to be. As a vesatile hunting dog guy, your pro is probably going to have a heart attack anyway when his dog backs mine and I shoot the Rabbit mine was pointing or the Squirrel he was treeing. No really as a guest or in a hunt test I would wave him off with a leave it, but if the pro is my guest, the fur dies. Like i said, not a pro kind of guy and hope I never move in that direction ever again.

I can attest to the first part. I was nervous about my dog when we hunted together. Not only because it was his first hunt outside of training with another dog but just because we (dog and I) are both new in general.
I just don't want to accidentally step on toes or annoy anyone when I'm an invited guest.
I think he did ok though.

#5538275 - 01/12/15 04:51 PM Re: Taking your own dog [Re: bill oxner]
kindall Offline

Loc: Spring, Tx
Bill, I think its more of the pro not wanting a dog to mess up a paying customers hunt.
Or have to tell that person/friend to pick the dog up, and have them get upset.
Just less of a headache for them to run dogs they know.

Cash works for a outfitter on some weekends, I just get invited to handle him.
He watched Cash work a few times, before ever asking me if I would bring him out for paid hunts.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide