Forums46
Topics537,021
Posts9,719,480
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537631 01/12/15 05:55 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I'll be interested in seeing how your plan works out and commend you for putting forth the time and effort to find leases for lots of THF members. Leases are getting harder and more expensive to come by as more and more hunters are scouring the forums and newspapers looking for their outdoor adventures. Good luck bud. cheers

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537632 01/12/15 05:55 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: postoak
I may close this thread and start one with strict parameters as several of you have suggested. I really don't think it will be hard to get together a group of guys who don't have family that also want to hunt, but we'll see.

Threads about the bow season thing have come up a number of times. Whether it is fair or not, again, I think I should be able to put together a rifle-only group.

Where you've got me worried is this talk about if a landowner contacts me that that is a red flag. I never thought of that, and am going to PM one of you to get more information on why that could be trouble.

It doesn't necessarily mean that it is a red flag IMO. I think that the point was that most LO's that have a good property at a good price aren't going to be seeking a group, the group will find them with very little effort on the LO's part. If a LO is having to seek out new hunters or hunters at all by scanning listings and contacting people, it typically means that there is/were issues on that place in the past.

Occasionally I come across new properties that have changed hands, but most new leases that I see are word of mouth. As can be seen with this forum, the hunters have a fairly large network and word of a good lease or possible lease gets around fairly quickly.

With the parameters that you are setting, I think that it would be a good idea to establish the parameters on this thread and then start a new one once you have the kinks worked out.

Again, good luck to you cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537637 01/12/15 05:57 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Bowslayer, I tried to PM you, would you clear out some of your PMs?

I deleted some, sorry about that.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537681 01/12/15 06:24 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Okay, here's what I want:

1) Rifle-only, or bowhunters hunt only during rifle season

2) "Bachelor" hunters -- no family members or guests hunting on paid member's allotment

3) Some kind of accommodation on the place -- I don't want to spend the money on a travel trailer or RV

4) After some though, I actually like the idea of each hunter having their own area. That way, they don't have to worry about whether the other guys are working as hard as they are, feeding as much as they want to feed, putting up as nice blinds, etc. -- keeps it simple. Can't see any need for work days.

5) Depends on the area, pure Hill Country would be much less acreage per hunter, but I would say about 200 acres per guy, which at today's cost is what, $3000?

6) Within 4 hours of ME. Not so picky about location within that 4 hour circle. To the west, that would be a circular arc swinging from Corpus, Kerrville, and Brownwood.

7) Not into any management plan. If not in an AR county then ANY two deer would be allowed.

8) If it would hold the price down and give us more options to choose from, I would be okay with access only from a week before deer season to a week after.

9) Prefer an alcohol policy of only after the guns are put away in the evening. Would look the other way if someone pulled out a joint.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537687 01/12/15 06:32 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Anyone want to post what kind of issues might arise with some landowner approaching me? What kinds of things do landowners do that screw the lessors? I wouldn't allow the landowner to hunt without taking it out of the land allotment so we don't get into a situation we saw earlier where because of the landowner and his sons adding 3 extra guns, and part of the land being non-huntable because of farm dwellings, that what was supposed to be 150 acres per hunter turned into 62 acres.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537830 01/12/15 07:42 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Be dang sure you are dealing with the land owner or someone that can legally lease the property to you. I have seen it happen more than once that a group leases land from someone that didn't even own it. I would also want references from previous hunters if it were me.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537854 01/12/15 07:52 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Post, if it's purely dedicated spots to hunt out of the whole lease, I'll need to politely bow out. IMO, if a person provides a feeder and blind, that should entitle them to hunt any other blind on the place. Obviously some common sense logic regarding keeping feeders filled and blinds huntable should be in place but I am absolutely not in favor of "my spot"/"my deer". I think in a lot of cases, that's the recipe for dissension and division right there.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537870 01/12/15 07:56 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I leased a property in Knox County one time a few years ago directly from the owner for year round hunting. I decided to run up there and hunt Dove on opening weekend and took a few buddies. When we got there we found planted sunflowers with mowed strips in them and dove cleaning stations set up around on the property. Just before dark a guy drove up and asked us what we were doing and I told him we came up to Dove hunt the weekend. He said he was an outfitter and had 75 people in nearby hotels that were going to hunt that property and that he had leased it. I told him he was crazy and he needed to get his stuff and leave. He left and came back with the Sheriff and the Sheriff said he wanted to see our lease. I showed him the lease and he called the land owner and she told him that I had in fact leased it. It turns out that the Daughter in law of the owner had leased the place to the outfitter without the owner's knowledge. Apparently she had been doing it for years and nobody had ever known since they never dove hunted. Taught me a good lesson about leasing though. If I had been the one leasing from the DIL I would have lost on that deal.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: DQ Kid] #5537873 01/12/15 07:57 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Post, if it's purely dedicated spots to hunt out of the whole lease, I'll need to politely bow out. IMO, if a person provides a feeder and blind, that should entitle them to hunt any other blind on the place. Obviously some common sense logic regarding keeping feeders filled and blinds huntable should be in place but I am absolutely not in favor of "my spot"/"my deer". I think in a lot of cases, that's the recipe for dissension and division right there.

Not to mention getting bored stiff hunting the same 200 acres hunt after hunt.

You can't fix stupid
Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537876 01/12/15 07:57 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I may close this thread and start one with strict parameters as several of you have suggested. I really don't think it will be hard to get together a group of guys who don't have family that also want to hunt, but we'll see.

Threads about the bow season thing have come up a number of times. Whether it is fair or not, again, I think I should be able to put together a rifle-only group.

Where you've got me worried is this talk about if a landowner contacts me that that is a red flag. I never thought of that, and am going to PM one of you to get more information on why that could be trouble.

PM sent

You can't fix stupid
Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: DQ Kid] #5537882 01/12/15 08:00 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

DQ -- did you see that Childress lease? Were you interested in that? He is looking for 3-5 guns. You could probably pull that many DFW guys from this thread to fill it.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537897 01/12/15 08:05 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
So how do you verify the person contacting you is authorized to lease -- look up the ownership record at the county courthouse?

For someone without a lease, being restricted to 200 acres seems like a great deal and considering it solves so many other problems it would be worth it to me. Of course members would be free to swap out on there own.

The reason I'm not wanting family and guests to have hunting rights is that I'm afraid this would be abused. Say we were each restricted to two deer, I could see some member taking his two deer, then bringing out his wife for one, his kid for one, and a friend for one. It's just too open to abuse.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537923 01/12/15 08:12 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
So how do you verify the person contacting you is authorized to lease -- look up the ownership record at the county courthouse?

For someone without a lease, being restricted to 200 acres seems like a great deal and considering it solves so many other problems it would be worth it to me. Of course members would be free to swap out on there own.

The reason I'm not wanting family and guests to have hunting rights is that I'm afraid this would be abused. Say we were each restricted to two deer, I could see some member taking his two deer, then bringing out his wife for one, his kid for one, and a friend for one. It's just too open to abuse.

The Game Warden in the County you're looking at is usually a great source of information.

As far as having your own area... every lease I have ever been on is that way and that's the way I like it. I don't want to spend $2000 on feed while Joe spends $0 and then hunts my stand when I'm not there. Obviously if you have permission to hunt another member's area that's fine.

The wife/kids rule is tough. I have never been on a lease that didn't allow me to bring my son and I would never join one that didn't. You just have to make the harvest limit and if they break it they're gone. I wouldn't want to be on a lease with people I couldn't trust.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537939 01/12/15 08:22 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Bowslayer, that's exactly the way I see it about feeding, blind quality, and any other work. If you have your own area, what other guys put into theirs doesn't affect you.

I could bend on the wife/kids rule although if it is a place with a house it could be a problem if beds are limited.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537955 01/12/15 08:28 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Bowslayer, that's exactly the way I see it about feeding, blind quality, and any other work. If you have your own area, what other guys put into theirs doesn't affect you.

I could bend on the wife/kids rule although if it is a place with a house it could be a problem if beds are limited.

not saying having restricted areas is wrong - it is just not for me.

You can't fix stupid
Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5537965 01/12/15 08:31 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

See my PM again - but county appraisal district will show who the owner is of a property - all you need is his name or physical address. Also get references of previous hunters, pictures of recent deer killed, etc. There are scammers out there for sure - also there are "brokers" - guys who find hunters for the ranch owner. Be wary of them too as they are getting a cut of the action and will tell you most anything to get you to lease the place

You can't fix stupid
Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538053 01/12/15 09:09 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
It is kind of funny...this thread is bringing up issues that arise on the forum all the time. Just because someone disagrees, it doesn't make the rule wrong, it just doesn't work for everyone. People want certain things and don't like certain rules because of past experiences.

With a strong leader and a good group, open stand policies, bringing kids and guest, etc shouldn't be problem. If someone is a problem, you replace them. Make the rules clear and stand by them, same rules for everyone.

Guest and family are easy. You pay for a spot and you get to kill the legal limit in that county for one person. If a guest shoots a deer, it comes off that persons tag quota for the county. Guest and family have to hunt with a paying member so they aren't interfering with access to a stand of another paying member.

The bow rule is what fits the group IMO. With the addition of crossbows being legal now, everyone has an option and no excuse not to be able to take advantage of the extra month.

Hunting other peoples stands. My place has an open stand policy in rifle season only. You can only kill a mature deer or cull out of someone elses stand, unless you have permission to do otherwise from the owner. To hunt a tower, you must have a tower. To hunt a feeder, you must have a feeder. A good group of hunters will have people that keep their stuff full.

As far as dealing with the owner of the land, there are ways to verify and even if I went through a middle man (which I wouldn't), I would still want access to the owner for verification and their name should be on the contract.

Some more thoughts for your adventure cheers

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538397 01/12/15 11:41 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Well, after causing a stir, I found a spot on a place. I'll let someone else carry on.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538401 01/12/15 11:43 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Well, after causing a stir, I found a spot on a place. I'll let someone else carry on.

rofl Congrats to you sir up

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538480 01/13/15 12:15 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

no stir - good discussions and maybe helpful for others looking for a lease. Unfortunately leases will become more and more difficult to find and expensive. The oil boom has created ranchers who do not need hunters any longer so the inventory has and will continue to shrink causing price rise. It has also caused ranchers to over populate their places with too many guns on too little property.

You can't fix stupid
Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538488 01/13/15 12:18 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

also not asking details about your lease but how did you come across the place you got onto? did you meet the rancher or lease boss or see the ranch?

You can't fix stupid
Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538514 01/13/15 12:27 AM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
A friend who doesn't hunt called me about a place that a friend of his had.

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538543 01/13/15 12:36 AM
B
Big Mike .308 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Interested in any lease within 3 hours of Houston
Big mike .308

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538591 01/13/15 12:55 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Let's say somebody gets a thread like this started..landowner sees it..takes it for what it's worth contacts o p..the op has his buddies all along...his way of finding a lease..decides to lease from landowner ...hmmmmmmm

Re: If you need a deer lease like this sign in here [Re: postoak] #5538597 01/13/15 12:57 AM
venisonhuntr Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Venisohuntr

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide