6243688 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5532127 - 01/10/15 07:54 AM The Reasons
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Guys, I continue to see lots and lots of my fellow THF'rs post out on here looking for leases/ranches/land etc.. Got me thinking, "has hunting gotten to the point where persons are damn near desperate to find a piece of dirt to hunt on"? Personally, it really makes me feel bad to see where things have apparently gotten to. Since I haven't actively looked for a lease in 30+ years, do we think it's purely a case of supply vs. demand or something else? Have costs on avg. gotten so high that the avg. Joe is not able to justify the costs of leasing, are leases now much more restrictive than ever regarding family and guests having access, are leases just "shot out" and overly affected by surrounding hunting pressures that once we get on them and don't see many if any deer that we decide to leave in a short order of time, do we as leasees "jack up the opportunities - yes I know this does happen from time-time, do we tire with the landowner/lease manager or fellow hunters, etc? Like I said, I am both concerned and saddened by what I see as an increasing exclusive not inclusive lifelong activity and recreation that I'd never want to be without. What say the people of the THF?

#5532135 - 01/10/15 07:58 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas
I believe my thread says "I'm at the begging stage" does that say anything?

"Una Stamus"

#5532139 - 01/10/15 08:01 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Yeah it really does Mag, and I am really sorry things haven't worked out recently for you. Just trying to objectively understand the causes for the obvious predicament we're trending on and see if collectively we can work through any of it as a group. And yes, I like to try and help others in working through obstacles and dilemmas. I don't require it but don't mind it either when offered to me.

#5532144 - 01/10/15 08:07 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas
Pricing for me is a big thing. Do I wish I could afford a 6gs lease? Not sure if those are better then the 800 dollar ones. I'm getting older, my health has diminished in the last couple of yrs. I am under ALOT of stress at work (detective). I want a place that even in the "off season" I can pack my bags and go kick rocks. Make sense?

Wife now hunts with me and we enjoy each others company (25 yrs married). Kids tag along at times. Lot's of restrictions with many leases on family etc. I don't want to have to purchase an RV to get on a lease.

I know I am asking for much

"Una Stamus"

#5532156 - 01/10/15 08:13 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

What do others of the THF think and more importantly, how can we change it or at least try to improve it?

#5532199 - 01/10/15 08:39 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
There's no problem that I can see

Folks not willing to drive
Not willing to pay asking price
Want lease w easy deer harvest
Want lease close to home

Can't have your cake and eat it too

Edited by cabosandinh (01/10/15 08:39 AM)

#5532214 - 01/10/15 08:44 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
You left out having to buy a travel trailer or RV.

#5532309 - 01/10/15 09:26 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: cabosandinh]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
There's no problem that I can see

Folks not willing to drive
Not willing to pay asking price
Want lease w easy deer harvest
Want lease close to home

Can't have your cake and eat it too

Cabo, you're probably right, ain't no problems around here. Unless you're looking for one that is..

#5532352 - 01/10/15 09:49 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
I agree with cabo and a lot of your original post DQ. I think there is a multitude of reasons and problems.

Also, some people are so desperate, they take whatever comes along and then have a horrible experience. After the horrible experience, that was derived from desperation, they complain about leases.

Some people are like 7mag and looking for a special place. Most these places will have a waiting list and you pretty much have to know someone on the lease to even hear about the lease. Good leases are filled by friends and are never advertised.

Another issue I see is people complaining about the cost of leasing. I guess my expectations are different, but if I am looking for something special, I expect to pay a premium. Have year round access to a property, having full hunting rights, camping rights, don't have to work the land, etc and you don't want to spend over $1k?

But it is about the money...to me it is about priority. No one wants to spend it on hunting, but they will spend it on the big truck they don't need, 16 different guns they rarely shoot, an ATV that sits in the garage, etc. They pay three times the cost of these things than they did 15 years ago, but can't believe lease prices have gone up scratch

I have no doubt finding a lease is tough, but it is even tougher if you you are searching with unrealistic expectations.

#5532364 - 01/10/15 09:54 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
Chris42 Offline
Tracker

Land isn't cheap.

Why should leases be?

#5532392 - 01/10/15 10:07 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: txshntr]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I agree with cabo and a lot of your original post DQ. I think there is a multitude of reasons and problems.

Also, some people are so desperate, they take whatever comes along and then have a horrible experience. After the horrible experience, that was derived from desperation, they complain about leases.

Some people are like 7mag and looking for a special place. Most these places will have a waiting list and you pretty much have to know someone on the lease to even hear about the lease. Good leases are filled by friends and are never advertised.

Another issue I see is people complaining about the cost of leasing. I guess my expectations are different, but if I am looking for something special, I expect to pay a premium. Have year round access to a property, having full hunting rights, camping rights, don't have to work the land, etc and you don't want to spend over $1k?

But it is about the money...to me it is about priority. No one wants to spend it on hunting, but they will spend it on the big truck they don't need, 16 different guns they rarely shoot, an ATV that sits in the garage, etc. They pay three times the cost of these things than they did 15 years ago, but can't believe lease prices have gone up scratch

I have no doubt finding a lease is tough, but it is even tougher if you you are searching with unrealistic expectations.

Like what you put here TXHNTR, lots of hard truth there!

#5532517 - 01/10/15 11:14 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
dgilbert Online   content
6 pack abs

This forum is growing by the thousands each year, and many are looking for a lease. So I think it looks like more and more are looking for a leases when it's really normal, JMO. But with being said, people still don't want to drive but a couple of hours from a metromess and or don't want to pay, to see or a chance at a nice buck.

#5532595 - 01/10/15 11:41 AM Re: The Reasons [Re: DQ Kid]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
I am on the other side of this. Years ago we used to lease out for hunting. It seemed as if when we leased the hunters thought that since they leased they owned the property for the year. We tried not to be in their way during the season but when you also run cattle, sheep and goats there were times during the season when it could not be helped. Then you had to hear about how you screwed up their hunting. Also had to hear about how a Hereford cow attacked them. How the sheep or goats screwed them up. Or how there all of a sudden were no deer. It seemed as though there was always something wrong with how we ran our ranch. Finally said the heck with it and started having people out to just hunt a deer. It has worked out great doing it this way. I usually have many of the same people out year after year. I can control the amount of deer I want taken. I can control the type of deer I want taken. I can do any work in the pasture I want when I want. Maybe this has happened to many other land owners and those places have been taken off the market. Also especially around this area a lot of places are being either sold or divided up and sold. Most new owners do not lease their property. They want the hunting for themselves. And this is a different world than it was back when we leased. Do you really know and can trust the people you lease to? All this is just my opinion and it probably don't mean squat.

#5532634 - 01/10/15 12:03 PM Re: The Reasons [Re: txshntr]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: txshntr

But it is about the money...to me it is about priority. No one wants to spend it on hunting, but they will spend it on the big truck they don't need, 16 different guns they rarely shoot, an ATV that sits in the garage, etc. They pay three times the cost of these things than they did 15 years ago, but can't believe lease prices have gone up

I drive a $400 a month truck rather than a $800/month truck. Save $4800 a year by doing that. There is a good lease payment right there. I don't own a obscene amount of guns, high dollar optics or a bunch of gadgets

This is what I see a lot of. All their hunting lease money goes to truck/boat/cable/atv bills

#5532640 - 01/10/15 12:10 PM Re: The Reasons [Re: don k]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: don k
I am on the other side of this. Years ago we used to lease out for hunting. It seemed as if when we leased the hunters thought that since they leased they owned the property for the year. We tried not to be in their way during the season but when you also run cattle, sheep and goats there were times during the season when it could not be helped. Then you had to hear about how you screwed up their hunting. Also had to hear about how a Hereford cow attacked them. How the sheep or goats screwed them up. Or how there all of a sudden were no deer. It seemed as though there was always something wrong with how we ran our ranch. Finally said the heck with it and started having people out to just hunt a deer. It has worked out great doing it this way. I usually have many of the same people out year after year. I can control the amount of deer I want taken. I can control the type of deer I want taken. I can do any work in the pasture I want when I want. Maybe this has happened to many other land owners and those places have been taken off the market. Also especially around this area a lot of places are being either sold or divided up and sold. Most new owners do not lease their property. They want the hunting for themselves. And this is a different world than it was back when we leased. Do you really know and can trust the people you lease to? All this is just my opinion and it probably don't mean squat.

You re referring to moaners , complainers , whiners
That for the most part can't afford to play in the first place
But have the biggest mouths and always at the ready to complain

I see a lot of those , friends included

Edited by cabosandinh (01/10/15 12:12 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide