Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: help on big food plots [Re: Navasot] #5569000 01/28/15 04:05 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I use race horse oats for the winter and then just bulk feed store seed for spring like cow peas and vetch.. Im not going to spend the money for big name brand mixes when i can get the one or two seeds i want for less in a 50lb bag.

Same here most of the time, I don't need "certified".

If I was hunting beside a fella with 200 acres of Alfalfa, yeah, I'd have to consider sumptin else grin

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: help on big food plots [Re: Rob Lay] #5569002 01/28/15 04:07 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
BTW, if you do fertilize, the most you will loose if it takes a while to rain, would be Nitrogen since it is more soluble. You can top dress a 32-0-0, or similar later if you need to.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: help on big food plots [Re: Rob Lay] #5573943 01/31/15 12:28 AM
P
Pittstate Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I have used about every name brand seed out there and I don't see a difference to speak of. It is nice when you have the equipment to have round up ready seeds, but spraying chemicals on your deer's food isn't the brightest idea either. I like to put down granules when I plant to help with the bugs that come up from the soil.

OK, so you are saying there are some herbicide and pesticide options that come with planting? that way no chemical risk and respraying?

I guess at minimum I will need to spray some fertilizer?

Rob,
You can put pesticide granules in the seed spreader while you are spreading seeds. It isn't as effective as spraying a couple times a season like the farmers do on their ag fields, but it does help with the army worms. I also put down fertilizer when planting.

I was talking about spraying your food plots for insects while the plants we up. If deer have other stuff to eat, they usually stay clear of crops that have been recently sprayed. I have witnessed this my entire life while working on a farm. This is why I try my best to stay away from spraying insecticides or pesticides on my food plots if I can get away with it. There are times when the bugs are so bad, you have to spray to save your plot. My experience in Collin/Fannin county and Oklahoma has shown me that putting down the insect killing granules (Spectricide, Ortho, etc) does a pretty good job at keeping the bugs away (especially in the fall). I use the cheapest stuff I can find at WalMart or Lowes. $20 (40lb) bag usually does an acre. I go heavier on the outsides of the plot.

Re: help on big food plots [Re: Rob Lay] #5573962 01/31/15 12:33 AM
P
Pittstate Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I have been using PlotSpike forage oats from Tractor supply for several years. I can usually get 50lbs for about $20. I get it cheaper after the season is over too. Have bought it for $10 on clearance in Denton, Tx a couple years ago. They also put their pellet lime on clearance for like $3/bag too. Lime takes 60 to 90 days to do its best work, so I buy it whenever it is on sales and spread a little. My place requires just a little lime according to my last soil test. About every 2 years it needs a small dressing. Applying here and there when on sale keeps it just perfect. Fertilzer works much better when ph level is correct.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide