6243688 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5529482 - 01/09/15 06:52 AM Eastland County (and your county) Review
Novemberyet Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Eastland Co.
As many of you know, Eastland county seems to be very popular. Although we have "a lot" of deer, there are some negatives that oh along with that: 1)hunting pressure, 2)hunting pressure, 3)this year we had timely rains yielding a good acorn crop (even though we are below average in rainfall), 4)it was hot....again, 5)hunting pressure, 6)hogs are pushing deer out, yada-yada-yada. I stopped by my processing plant (Rust on Hwy 6) and Kevin was telling me this has been the slowest year in the history of his business. 2-3 years back was really tough due to a drought but this year had everybody guessing. He didn't give me any numbers, but seemed very disappointed.

What say you?

#5529613 - 01/09/15 08:04 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
Ketchn Offline
Woodsman

I had a typical year just below eastland county
and my buds who own a ranch up there did well
I do know if you hunted over deer feeders in these areas you were pretty much wasting time though
at least until late December when the acorns were done
lower than normal harvest amounts were most likely the work of the acorn crop

#5529663 - 01/09/15 08:26 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
kmon1 Offline
junior

Loc: Texas
Average year for me, well really above average considering how little I got to hunt this season . Deer hit the feeders all through season though a lot of it was at night, there were enough daylight sightings to keep it interesting. The only acorn trees on the lease that had any were the few live oaks. The rest there wasn't a crop at all so the deer hit the corn real good. Although there were some timely rains we did not get some that others did in the Spring which really hurt the acorn crop.

Lack of a good fawn crop concerns us for the future more than this seasons results. Out of 10 does that hit the feeders regularly only 2 fawns with them. I need to kill more yotes and bobcats, which might help fawn survival.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#5529836 - 01/09/15 09:36 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Eastland county
I spoke with Kevin last week and he told me the same thing. I would say this year was average. Deer were coming to corn and food plots pretty good. As far as buck sightings, it's was a little below average. I have bucks on our property, HFed, that no one ever saw. My brother put out cameras 2 weeks ago and some of the bucks showed up on them. The survived, but didn't show themselves during regular season. Fawn crops have been down over the last 4-5 years. The hogs have moved off our place for now, but they will be back. Maybe next year will be better. We didn't shoot any "trophy" bucks this year. Maybe they will be bigger next year.

#5529843 - 01/09/15 09:38 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
KCH Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Frisco, TX
I have always thought that area was overpressured and underpopluated with deer...Stephens, Eastland, Palo Pinto and even Comanche...lets face it alot of DFW hunters will always hunt that area. Back in the late 90's we had a lease near Sipe Springs, it looked great but we hardly saw many deer much less mature bucks...these places will always stay leased because so many guys want to hunt but as far as a value for what you pay for, Texas has better places than these counties imho...

#5529856 - 01/09/15 09:44 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
I have good doe population and some very nice bucks up to 10 pts

they were mostly nocturnal, except for short period during ruts
where they came out during day

my problem is not lack of deer, it's their night feeding habit

#5529901 - 01/09/15 10:01 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: cabosandinh]
KCH Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Frisco, TX
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

this is most likely due to overpressure, imho

do you have hunting around your place?

#5529973 - 01/09/15 10:31 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: KCH]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: KCH
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

this is most likely due to overpressure, imho

do you have hunting around your place?

there are hunters all around me, they all said the same thing

deer showing up at night

#5530361 - 01/09/15 01:07 PM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
Prewitt Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Ft.Worth / Rising Star
Im east of rising star. Got lots of pictures of deer, all at night.

#5530496 - 01/09/15 02:05 PM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
Pretty much what everybody else said, lots of deer at night, very little feeder presence, and my food plot was pretty much left alone. Only saw one deer on my plot during daylight, but the tips were eaten off a bit, so they must have been getting groceries at night. Oats came up great, the wheat not so much. Saw a good amount of deer, but they were small, and the bucks weren't mature. I have three bucks coming in regular that will be real nice next year if they make it. North of Cisco near the county line.

#5531929 - 01/10/15 12:09 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
krazy kris Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Azle, TX
1st season we bought our small 10acres in Eastland co. Never seen a deer with my eyes. Have a ton on camera at night and a handfull durring the day. Does hit the standard feeders and the bucks were very skiddish around those feeders and most of the pics of the bucks came at my redneck feeders.

#5531950 - 01/10/15 12:41 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
Erath cty has been about the same. Most bucks on camera at night. The gun season opener started with a bang then kinda' fizzled down. That's pretty normal though. If you don't get your buck by Thanksgiving, you probably won't get one.

Edited by Erathkid (01/10/15 12:42 AM)
Edit Reason: Adolph Coors

#5532067 - 01/10/15 07:21 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Erathkid]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Erath cty has been about the same. Most bucks on camera at night. The gun season opener started with a bang then kinda' fizzled down. That's pretty normal though. If you don't get your buck by Thanksgiving, you probably won't get one.

Unfortunate but often true in those counties closer to metromess...

#5532146 - 01/10/15 08:08 AM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: KCH]
Ketchn Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: KCH
I have always thought that area was overpressured and underpopluated with deer...Stephens, Eastland, Palo Pinto and even Comanche...lets face it alot of DFW hunters will always hunt that area. Back in the late 90's we had a lease near Sipe Springs, it looked great but we hardly saw many deer much less mature bucks...these places will always stay leased because so many guys want to hunt but as far as a value for what you pay for, Texas has better places than these counties imho...

sipe springs area has some really nice bucks roaming around it
my bud took a 148 there this year
and they take several off that 1200 each year in that range
the deer are super slick and there are a bunch
but they pattern hunters WAY better than hunters pattern them for sure
I have watched 8 does under a feeder just vanish when someone rattled the chain on the gate coming in 300 yards away
seen that same routine hundreds of times ....they are there in good numbers
...the man that runs the place forever says this ...
hunters didn't see lots a deer
but the deer sure seen lots a hunters roflmao

#5532713 - 01/10/15 12:47 PM Re: Eastland County (and your county) Review [Re: Novemberyet]
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Melissa, TX
NW Brown county season was about like previous years with a few differences. Huge acorn crop and the deer went nocturnal with the season opening shot. In latter part of Nov, corn piled up at a couple of feeders. Bucks & Does would hit feeders at nite or early morn or late in evening (i.e., few minutes before shooting light ends). Took a nice 8 pt 5 minutes before end of legal evening shooting. Often setup on game trails with tarp and chair. Got a number of bucks on game camera and will look forward to seeing them next season. Texans are very fortunate to have such fine hunting opportunities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide