Print Thread
Food Plots and ATV disc #5528952 01/09/15 01:51 AM
R
R. Johnson Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
I have a lease in Mills County. It's about 300 acres and I want to put in some food plots this spring. What do y'all think I should plant? Peas? Soybeans? Clover mix? I am also looking into buying a disc/plow to pull behind my ATV. What brand/type should I look for. The food plots would be about 20-30 yards wide by about 60-100 yards long. Thanks for suggestions!

Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: R. Johnson] #5528979 01/09/15 02:03 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I would rather pay a farmer $100 to plow up a couple plots than buy an atv disc for $850 that quit frankly doesn't work very well and runs down your atv in a hurry. If deep in the wood were tractor won't get there, I use the Ground Hog Max for very small plots. It does a good job on small plots, but I wouldn't want to subject my atv to it for more than 2 very small plots a year.

I have never planted plots in your area, so I have no idea what would grow.....I do know that what I plant wouldn't do well 4 out of every 6 years there based on your annual rainfall.

Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: Pittstate] #5529039 01/09/15 02:26 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I would rather pay a farmer $100 to plow up a couple plots than buy an atv disc for $850 that quit frankly doesn't work very well and runs down your atv in a hurry. If deep in the wood were tractor won't get there, I use the Ground Hog Max for very small plots. It does a good job on small plots, but I wouldn't want to subject my atv to it for more than 2 very small plots a year.

I have never planted plots in your area, so I have no idea what would grow.....I do know that what I plant wouldn't do well 4 out of every 6 years there based on your annual rainfall.

Listen to him. Anyone like myself who owns both an ATV and a tractor will tell you flat out that it's foolish to expect one to suffice as the other for what each was designed to do.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: R. Johnson] #5529060 01/09/15 02:41 AM
T
tigger Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
great advice

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: Texas Dan] #5529103 01/09/15 03:03 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Listen to him. Anyone like myself who owns both an ATV and a tractor will tell you flat out that it's foolish to expect one to suffice as the other for what each was designed to do.

X's 3

You would be better off renting a tractor for the day. Or as mentioned, ire it done.

As far as what to plant, Lablab, peas, hybrid sorghum, some clover and a few other things will grow there.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: R. Johnson] #5529108 01/09/15 03:05 AM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
we had an ATV disc. Those are awfully large plots for one of those disc. We tried it for 2 years and ended up getting the guy that has the cows on the property to plant for us. He did it for nothing. The cows get the benefit also, so you'd be surprised how willing to help the rancher is.

We own the land, so we ended up buying our own equipment, but the guy that leases the grazing still plants a 10 acre field in an area that we don't normally hunt. He also gives us the oats and fertilizer for the larger plots we plant (we plant several plots ranging from 1-5 acres each).

Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: R. Johnson] #5529128 01/09/15 03:14 AM
R
R. Johnson Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
Thanks for the advice!!!

Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: R. Johnson] #5529204 01/09/15 03:47 AM
R
R. Edwards Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I've got the ground hog max also. It would work on a plot that size, but as the above poster said, they are hell on your ATV or UTV. Mine bent the hitch on my ranger. It's barely noticeable, but still bent. I even asked the guy who invented the thing before I bought it, as I was skeptical about this happening, and he assured me with a ranger it would be no problem. Well...he was wrong, and we don't have rocks where I plant my plots. The thing works at the expense of your frame. Im going to straighten mine with the torch and weld some solid steel stock to reinforce it before I plant again this spring.

Last edited by R. Edwards; 01/09/15 03:48 AM.
Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: R. Johnson] #5529237 01/09/15 04:05 AM
R
R. Johnson Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
So what to plant for spring?????

Peas?? Lettuce ?? Turnips ??? What's does good in the spring?

Last edited by R. Johnson; 01/09/15 06:18 AM.
Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: Western] #5529506 01/09/15 01:07 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

X's 3

You would be better off renting a tractor for the day. Or as mentioned, ire it done.

As far as what to plant, Lablab, peas, hybrid sorghum, some clover and a few other things will grow there.

This is a pre-ix seed from MBS Seed
"" 50 lb bag

* Mixture of Iron & Clay Cowpeas, Red Ripper Cowpeas, Chinese Red Cowpeas Laredo Soybeans, Buckwheat, Mungbeans and White Game Milo.
* The legumes and grains in this mix provide an exceptionally palatable food source high in protein and energy for deer.
* Designed to give deer a nutritional supplement during stressful summer months, when nutritional needs are high and native browse is lacking.
* Similar seed sizes allow for a uniform blend and planting depth.
* Adapted to a wide range of soil types and conditions.

Also an excellent source of seed for all gamebirds.
Planting Dates: May-July

Rate: Broadcast 45-50 lbs/acre, or
Drill 35-40 lbs/acre
Depth: 1-1½ inches deep
Fertilize and lime according to soil test.

Use inoculant for best results.

http://www.mbsseed.com/ On left bar, click wildlife and read, will get you going real good

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: R. Johnson] #5529520 01/09/15 01:13 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
rent a tractor and disc
straight milo for the summer
cut it or thrash it right before sept
the deer will eat the heck out of the tops
and you will have great dove hunting as well
same thing in mid sept ...
rent tractor and disc
13/13/13 one bag
turner seed winter deer mix one bag
that's enough for one acre
use it on 1/2 acre
thank me after season up

Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: R. Johnson] #5531987 01/10/15 10:40 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I agree 100% on not using an ATV for farm work. However, there are a lot of companies that would love to sell implements for that purpose. It's not their ATV.

I've tried Spring food plots but mostly found that deer prefer the native browse. Lab Lab is, to me, a joke in areas that don't get a LOT of rain. I tried, got good rains, and it was beautiful. The deer ignored it. Then, lack of rain for 3 weeks killed it.

I think I would rather feed protein. But, I've also tried that and the deer mostly ignored it on my place in Montague County.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Food Plots and ATV disc [Re: Dave Davidson] #5532040 01/10/15 12:49 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I agree 100% on not using an ATV for farm work. However, there are a lot of companies that would love to sell implements for that purpose. It's not their ATV.

They also know how determined men can get to kill a big buck.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide