Forum Stats
60480 Members
45 Forums
476234 Topics
6247249 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5528303 - 01/08/15 02:47 PM Out of state hunting process?
GenMischief Offline
Green Horn

Hello Everyone! Thanks for letting me in. smile

I am an Indiana Resident, and have been invited to come back to Texas to hunt hogs. I was at Ft. Hood for years, so I know the area, but I DO NOT know the regs!

I understand that if its a nuisance hog hunt on private property a permit is not required, but I do need to have a recent hunters safety course in Indiana and proof of completion.

What I do NOT know is plethoral!

How do I register that safety course with TX?

Am I on the right track to think I don't have to purchase a waiver if I have an out of state course on the books?

What other expenses should I plan for?

I have been advices to carry a handgun as well when hog hunting, what are the rules about this for out of state hunters?

What am I NOT asking about that I should be?

I have plenty of time on this, so I'm excited, but not in a very big rush. smile

Also, any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-Jim

#5528603 - 01/08/15 04:50 PM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: GenMischief]
swmays Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Dallas / Hopkins Co.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/

This will get you started...

#5528610 - 01/08/15 04:53 PM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: swmays]
GenMischief Offline
Green Horn

Did that. Can you address my specific questions?

#5528728 - 01/08/15 05:51 PM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: GenMischief]
Hirogen Offline
Tracker

Loc: Ontario, Grey County
I am out of state as well and am heading down in March to hog hunt.

As far as I know you need to buy a non-resident hunting licence and bring proof that you took and passed the hunter safety course in your home jurisdiction. I do not believe you have to register the course with Texas as they already have reciprocal agreements in place with other states and provinces.

That's about the extant of what I know. I don't need the out of state proof as I was born before 1971 but my son who is coming with me does.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend

#5528745 - 01/08/15 05:57 PM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: GenMischief]
swmays Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Good in Other States

All states and provinces that have mandatory hunter education requirements will accept Texas Hunter Education certifications. Likewise, Texas will accept hunter education certifications that are issued by other states and provinces that meet official IHEA-USA requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

#5528756 - 01/08/15 06:03 PM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: GenMischief]
swmays Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

When "Hunting" pigs you need a license (permit). A "nuisance hog hunt" could be considered hunting... or not, depending on the exact circumstances and GW. I would recommend purchasing a license and bringing proof of Hunter Safety.

#5529653 - 01/09/15 08:22 AM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: GenMischief]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
I am pretty sure feral hogs fall out under the Exotic animals and fowl area ... and a non-resident would need either a special or 5-day special hunting license ... along with proof of Hunter Safety course completion. See page 73

Non-resident Special Hunting (Type 107): $132
Valid to hunt: Exotic animals (see pg. 73), all legal game birds (NOT VALID FOR TURKEY), all nongame animals,
squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER). Stamp endorsement
requirements apply.
Non-resident 5-Day Special Hunting (Type 157): $48
Legal for any period of five consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when
issued). Valid to hunt: Exotic animals (see pg. 73), all legal game birds (except turkeys), all nongame
animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER). Stamp
endorsement requirements apply.

also be sure to have on your person some form of Personal ID (driver's license, passport, etc.)

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/cs_bk_k0700_284_2014_2015.pdf

Edited by PMK (01/09/15 08:23 AM)

~PMK~

#5529717 - 01/09/15 08:55 AM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: PMK]
sqiggy Online   content

Loc: Franklin, Tx Hunt in Panola ...
Originally Posted By: PMK
I am pretty sure feral hogs fall out under the Exotic animals and fowl area ... and a non-resident would need either a special or 5-day special hunting license ... along with proof of Hunter Safety course completion. See page 73

See page 25. This is what the OP is referring to about not having to purchase a license. A lot depends on the "hunt" he is going on. If Mr. John Brown is letting him come to his farm or ranch to shoot every stinkin pig he sees cause they are rootin up his hay field, I wouldn't worry about a license.
But if he's going on a paid hunt or going to hunt hogs on public land, then yeah, he's gonna need a license.
If it were me, I would just buy the 5 day license and not have to worry about it.

#5529928 - 01/09/15 10:11 AM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: sqiggy]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: sqiggy

See page 25. This is what the OP is referring to about not having to purchase a license. A lot depends on the "hunt" he is going on. If Mr. John Brown is letting him come to his farm or ranch to shoot every stinkin pig he sees cause they are rootin up his hay field, I wouldn't worry about a license.
But if he's going on a paid hunt or going to hunt hogs on public land, then yeah, he's gonna need a license.
If it were me, I would just buy the 5 day license and not have to worry about it.

Me too.

Edited by Nogalus Prairie (01/09/15 10:11 AM)

#5530556 - 01/09/15 02:29 PM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: sqiggy]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
Originally Posted By: sqiggy

I would agree with your theory for a resident hunter ... but looks sketchy for non-resident as I believe hogs fall out under exotics ... or at least the way I read it. Personally, I would buy the 5 day special as cheap insurance UNLESS I got something in writing from the TPWD relating to hog hunting for a non-resident.

~PMK~

#5530976 - 01/09/15 05:11 PM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: GenMischief]
DustyWyoming Offline
Tracker

Having grown up in Texas when I moved away I did not stop hunting there, after I moved away I talked to TPWD about this subject and my understanding from what TPWD told me is that if I want to go out and kill something, even pigs on my own property, I needed to have some kind of hunting license. I figure the $48.00 for 5 day non resident is cheaper than a ticket.
I normally just get a regular non-resident hunting license for the $315.00 so I am good to hunt anything for the year.

#5531866 - 01/09/15 11:24 PM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: GenMischief]
Shotgun Willie Online   content
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
Eastland county game warden spelled it out to us like this:

Hogs on private (leased) land, no license required, because they're not considered "fur bearing".

Shoot a coyote, coon, skunk... whatever, and you had better have a license.

Hunter's safety is reciprocal.

Handgun on private (leased) land is legal.

My uncle came in from TN to hunt deer: needed a license. His son was going to come with him, but only wanted to hunt hog: no license, but that meant no varmints as well. Both brought their TN HSC.

#5531943 - 01/10/15 12:28 AM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: Shotgun Willie]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
Eastland county game warden spelled it out to us like this:

Hogs on private (leased) land, no license required, because they're not considered "fur bearing".

Shoot a coyote, coon, skunk... whatever, and you had better have a license.

Hunter's safety is reciprocal.

Handgun on private (leased) land is legal.

My uncle came in from TN to hunt deer: needed a license. His son was going to come with him, but only wanted to hunt hog: no license, but that meant no varmints as well. Both brought their TN HSC.

A different GW could read that different and write them a ticket for not having a license. TPWD office has answered the question for me (it has been awhile), and the response was that if you are not the land owner or with the land owner and if you plan on eating the hogs or move the hogs, you are no longer hunting them as a nuisance animal and are required to have a hunting license.

IMO, if you are hunting anything, you are better off having a hunting license.

#5532010 - 01/10/15 06:03 AM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: txshntr]
SR025 Online   shocked
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: txshntr
IMO, if you are hunting anything, you are better off having a hunting license.

This, why risk it.

#5532578 - 01/10/15 11:34 AM Re: Out of state hunting process? [Re: GenMischief]
EddieWalker Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
Like others have said, your hunter safety course is all you need to buy a license here in Texas. Just make sure you have it with you when you go to buy your license. Also have your photo ID with you.

As for shooting hogs on private land, what I was told is that the landowner has to have a special depredation permit issued to them due to damage to the land caused by the hogs. Just having a lot of hogs isn't enough. With the permit, they can kill all the hogs they want to without a license. Without the permit, you have to have a license.

Eddie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide