Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How do you train!? #5524252 01/07/15 12:47 AM
S
Sq2 hunter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Hey all I'm getting ready for archery elk season and just wondering what everybody does for this type of hunt to get in shape!?

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5524330 01/07/15 01:18 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Mostly, I just talk about and think about working out. I always survive the hunt, so it seems to help.

When I actually do something physical to prepare for an elk hunt, I like to do as many stairs as possible for my cardio, or hill climbs. I feel like that's far superior to flat land walking, although mixing it up with some variety is great. Also, don't neglect your strength training. Guys focus on cardio and come up a little short, most of the time. Look at Cameron Haynes. There's probably not a better example of anyone that trains for elk hunting. He trains about like a lightweight MMA fighter, minus the fighting part. Very well rounded.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5524342 01/07/15 01:22 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Get in the best shape you can, cardio an strength will help. One thing I finally learned is go a few days early if you can to get accustomed to the altitude. Stairs are good but think real hills are better if available.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5524551 01/07/15 02:45 AM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Find the steepest stairs you can and put a 100lb pack on your back and do that for an hour 4-5 times a week. Practice going up and down. When your hunting the down sucks almost as bad as the up, especially if your boots are a little loose.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525030 01/07/15 01:26 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Cardio for the lungs. Incline work for the legs. Hills are the only way I know to work on the downhill part (maybe stadium work).

Getting there early and acclimating is a great tip.

Be in the best shape you can of course. That said, I have found about 80% of it is mental once you get on the mountain. I have seen guys in great physical condition get overwhelmed by the mountains, the cold, the long days, etc. And I have seen guys you would think couldn't hack it suck it up and do well.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525040 01/07/15 01:32 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
crossfit will do the trick

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525046 01/07/15 01:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Walk 18 stories every other day......starting with 45lbs work up to 90lbs. Good pack and great boots.

You can't beat the altitude, but can condition your self to recover quicker.

Rest of it like NP said is just mental.

If your doing it right your glassing 70% of the time and hunting 30% of the time...this is for elk.
Mulies you're glassing 95% of the time hunting 5%

Practice with you bow with a pack on and from every position you can think up. Get confident at 50 yards.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How do you train!? [Re: jshouse] #5525047 01/07/15 01:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: jshouse

Or put you on the side lines

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: How do you train!? [Re: jshouse] #5525054 01/07/15 01:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Oh god here we go....

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525061 01/07/15 01:45 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If your out of shape already then you need to get in good general shape

If your in shape you'll be fine. I kept hearing about all this "gotta train for the mountains" talk and it's really not bad at all. If your 30 lbs overweight and haven't been to the gym in 15 years your gonna have a tougher time than someone who keeps themselves in a reasonable level of fitness

Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5525063 01/07/15 01:47 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Oh god here we go....

Crossfit isn't bad, as long as you have great trainers that teach proper form and don't push you to or past your limit on certain lifts. With that said people where Cushing the mountains long before crossfit

Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5525074 01/07/15 01:51 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

If your in shape you'll be fine. I kept hearing about all this "gotta train for the mountains" talk and it's really not bad at all. If your 30 lbs overweight and haven't been to the gym in 15 years your gonna have a tougher time than someone who keeps themselves in a reasonable level of fitness

I agree with this for the most part, but it really depends how far and how high you go in. I'd prepare for the worst if you can. I'd sure hate to get on a stud and not be able to get in front of him because I didn't do a little extra when I could of. Or lose a big chuck of meat because I couldn't get him out in a timely matter

Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5525115 01/07/15 02:12 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Oh god here we go....

that was for you sir.

but i'm saerious too, i didnt cheerlead it, just recommended it. if you are mature about your limitations and find a good gym it will get you in great shape.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525118 01/07/15 02:13 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
All these are correct, cardio is important but so is endurance and strength, particularly in your legs. The number of times my buddy (who guided) told me about hunters that couldn't even get to the elk much less get one was truely a PITA and frustrating for a guide that is willing to work hard for you.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5525166 01/07/15 02:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

This is so true IMO. Working out for a few months might help, but a lifestyle can make the overall difference.

Also Agree with BOBO, if your wearing yourself out in the Rockies, you aren't hunting, you're "hiking".

I smoke, drink to much coffee and have hunted the Rockies since 1979 or 80, sure much easier when I was younger, but have come great friends with my limitations. I pace myself and plan my hunt based on what I feel I can do.

My routine is usually changing the fishing line on my fishing poles grin

If you have a certain "health " issue, then you have to address that (I'm loosing serious bone and have a severe bad spinal issues for a few years now) I have taken Diabetics, a few very over weight fellas, they did fine, but stayed within their body's comfort zone. The few I have seen struggle get hurt, where the "jocks" oddly enough.

Take Ginger if you get stomach sickness for a few days before you get there and as BOBO said, going early will help your body acclimate ( I have never had an altitude problem)

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: How do you train!? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5525235 01/07/15 03:10 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I agree with this for the most part, but it really depends how far and how high you go in. I'd prepare for the worst if you can. I'd sure hate to get on a stud and not be able to get in front of him because I didn't do a little extra when I could of. Or lose a big chuck of meat because I couldn't get him out in a timely matter

We were at 10k feet and none of us had any problems. Didn't have any issues in New Mexico at 8k feet either

I can't speak for altitudes at 12+ k but any fitness training would not prepare you for it

If your in shape, have a proper height:weight and acceptable body fat level you will be fine

The only reason a person would have to condition to go to the mountains is if they were out of shape to begin with

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525284 01/07/15 03:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
If I chased them with a rifle, I wouldn't worry about it to much, bow is a little different.

10k driving to and hiking in is different then hiking in and going from 8k-10k... On top of that all country is different. Some nasty country in NM but most part it's not.. CO is 60/40 being more then half the state is plains, but where it's not it can be pretty ugly in places

You don't have to be Cam, but it's going to help you more then hurt you. When you look at success ratios and only 10% of archery hunters kill elk and you find out more then half of that 10% kill elk consistently you start looking for trends... Being in good shape happens to be part of that trend.

On the same note I know guys that are 100% last 4 years and they can barely crawl up into their waterhole tree stand... But again they are hunting waterholes on Private.

Put it this way your going to spend a lot of money on tags, gas and equipment....take out an insurance policy via being as active in the off season as possible

Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5525298 01/07/15 03:35 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

We were at 10k feet and none of us had any problems. Didn't have any issues in New Mexico at 8k feet either

I can't speak for altitudes at 12+ k but any fitness training would not prepare you for it

If your in shape, have a proper height:weight and acceptable body fat level you will be fine
The only reason a person would have to condition to go to the mountains is if they were out of shape to begin with

what percentage of guys on this forum do you think fit your criteria?

Re: How do you train!? [Re: jshouse] #5525327 01/07/15 03:45 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

what percentage of guys on this forum do you think fit your criteria?

prolly 10%

and if that is the case, they should train to be healthier overall not just train to go hike up and down the mountains.

Colorado isn't that bad. there are areas in the hill country and west texas that are just as rough just the altitude is different. same %grades.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525355 01/07/15 03:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I am not in the 10%. It takes knowing I am going to the mountains to hunt to get me motivated to even get closer to the 10%. Honestly, that's one reason my wife has become more supportive of my hunting trips. Just being honest.

I will add this: being a little guy helps. It just does. I weigh 175 out of shape and about 160-165 in shape. If you are a big guy you just have to be in better shape to carry your own weight. Just the way it is. If you are big and fat you're probably not going to be able to do much.

At 50, my days of packing in everything on my back and trudging the mountains day in and day out are probably over. I am much more the tortoise than the hare these days. But, hey, the tortoise won the race. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525386 01/07/15 04:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Side note on Cameron Hanes: I admire him and think he is an amazing dude. And a good guy.

OTOH, I feel his constant focus on his condition and obsessive training regimen was often counterproductive. Even condescending at times. IMO he has scared a lot of folks away from western hunting by making them think one must train like a madman and be able to run the "Bighorn 50" in order to hunt out west. That's just not the case.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5525457 01/07/15 04:28 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Side note on Cameron Hanes: I admire him and think he is an amazing dude. And a good guy.

OTOH, I feel his constant focus on his condition and obsessive training regimen was often counterproductive. Even condescending at times. IMO he has scared a lot of folks away from western hunting by making them think one must train like a madman and be able to run the "Bighorn 50" in order to hunt out west. That's just not the case.

Not at all.

Guys like that are marketers, he is marketing himself the same way duck commander markets thst you can't kill ducks without benelli shotguns and black cloud shells

Look at all the guys from the 60's and 70's and before killing giant elk and mule deer

None of them looked like Cameron haynes.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5525549 01/07/15 05:13 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Not at all.

Guys like that are marketers, he is marketing himself the same way duck commander markets thst you can't kill ducks without benelli shotguns and black cloud shells

Look at all the guys from the 60's and 70's and before killing giant elk and mule deer

None of them looked like Cameron haynes.

You have to meet Cam to understand Cam. Cam is a professional athlete that lives to Bow hunt. Guys at his age that are like him, are motivated via over coming common myths, like consistent successful DIY hunts...year after year. Cam monster muscles just came about in the last two years. But he has been a professional ultra Iong distance runner for well over 15 years. He is actually a little guy

When you spend some time with him you realize he just wants everyone to have the best opportunity at succeeding as him. He just chooses not to have being out of shape as an excuse if he looses to the mountain. Things you can control are terrible excuses

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525566 01/07/15 05:20 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

prolly 10%

and if that is the case, they should train to be healthier overall not just train to go hike up and down the mountains.

Colorado isn't that bad. there are areas in the hill country and west texas that are just as rough just the altitude is different. same %grades.

You have hunted one unit in CO. Lol

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5525573 01/07/15 05:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I'm not dogging cam he is in great shape

In laymens terms he is a .300 ultra.

You don't need a .300 ultra to be successful just gotta be in .270 shape

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide