Print Thread
Self processing question #5524618 01/07/15 03:10 AM
L
lubbockdave Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
L
For those of you who process deer yourselves, what's the shortest amount of time you would wait to process a quartered deer? I've heard about putting meat in ice for 4-7 days and draining the water/re icing daily and did this last year. But my question is how fast would you process...is there a reason to wait that long?

Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5524629 01/07/15 03:16 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Yes , you re letting blood in tissues drain out
You re wet aging the carcass resulting in more tender meat
I leave mine on ice for 4-5 days, i do the same with my tuna

Ever heard of. Rigor mortis?

You don't want to eat anything in that state if you can help it

A dumb [censored] friend of mine insisted I cut the back strap (from deer shot in afternoon)
and cook it the same night for him
The toughest piece of backs trap I ve had

Last edited by cabosandinh; 01/07/15 03:18 AM.
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5524668 01/07/15 03:28 AM
L
lubbockdave Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
L
that's what I was wondering about. A cowboy i know shot a mulie this year and processed it the next day. I thought that was a pretty quick turn around.

I appreciate the info.

Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5524723 01/07/15 03:58 AM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
I have a fridge at the hunting camp and keep it set very cold. I quarter the deer and put the quarters in large plastic trash bags. It stays in the fridge for two weeks before final processing and freezing.

Before I got the fridge I used the ice chest and ice method (for 7 to 10 days). But I still put the quarters in plastic bags to keep the water off the meat.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5524742 01/07/15 04:12 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
You can do it the next day if that's all time gives you sir...I normally do 2-4 days and keep on ice don't let that water stay on the meat I leave a drain cracked and I wouldn't recommend plastic bags BUT to each his own just the way I do, no disrespect intended BayouGuy...seen it done both ways Sir...just a choice Amigo

We have a walk in at our place but I never use it..once harvested, immediately skinned gutted and rinsed rinsed rinsed and DOUBLE rinsed, hair = bad

quarter and if cool will let hang over night but then quartered staright to cooler and we have a ice maker so load load load w Ice...then 3-4 days later cut up, vac seal label and poof and off to the next one

good luck up

Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5524783 01/07/15 04:32 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Sniper just about summed it up. I think we have our definitive answer.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5524833 01/07/15 05:13 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
After quartering and deboning, I put it all in our fridge where it stays until I get to it. Usually a week, but once or twic has been two weeks. Our fridge is set at 34 degrees, never had a problem.

[Linked Image]
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5524854 01/07/15 05:41 AM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Our cooler is set at 35 degrees and we age them 7-14 days worth the hide on. We've done with the hide off too but it seems the meat gets drier. Any way meats always tender and never gamey.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5525143 01/07/15 02:23 PM
D
Drop 1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I have been processing my own deer for about 5 seasons now. When I started out I didn't know jack about how to do it, now I am making better deer meat than I have have. This year I got a commercial grade stuffer and grinder. With 4 kids and a wife I do not have time during the week to process so its generally don't when I get home from the hunt. our freezer is full this year with deer ''shot yesterday, wrapped and packed today" my summer sausage and brats came out the best
Good luck to ya, I think it'll any period will work until you find some greenish looking meat. Stay away from that

Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5525165 01/07/15 02:32 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Have done the aging and processed from shot to freezer in <4 hours, it is all good.

Freezing as the moisture expands when frozen it helps break down the meat. Ever notice after thawing how much blood is released from a cut of meat. Happens if meat was aged or not prior to freezing. After processing lots of deer I believe more blood is released from the freezing and thawing than soaking or keeping meat on ice and drained for days.

Just my observation. YMMV

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5525189 01/07/15 02:43 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Depends on the shot. If the deer drops in his tracks I skin it quarter it and fry up some backstrap. To reduce hair on the meat I skin it with a little help from my jeep. I personally prefer to leave blood in the meat, tuna as well. I've been known to sear a steak or 2 right after quartering it or making sashimi from fresh caught tuna or snapper. I guess I like the irony taste. For a deer that may have run a little I will keep it cold for a week or so. I use the back of the cleaver to tenderize venison steaks just before cooking.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5525224 01/07/15 03:06 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I always put it on ice for 7-10 days, draining the water daily and adding ice as required. Sometimes it takes less - basically when the drained water is no longer deep red and is closer to light pink/clear, it's ready to process. Usually 7 days is plenty.

Then I will spend a few hours processing - everything from deboning to cutting steaks to grinding. All gets vacuum sealed and then put in the freezer.

I will more often than not take the tenderloins and cook them up the same night I shoot the deer - no issues with toughness.

Re: Self processing question [Re: kmon11] #5525589 01/07/15 05:30 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Have done the aging and processed from shot to freezer in <4 hours, it is all good.

Freezing as the moisture expands when frozen it helps break down the meat. Ever notice after thawing how much blood is released from a cut of meat. Happens if meat was aged or not prior to freezing. After processing lots of deer I believe more blood is released from the freezing and thawing than soaking or keeping meat on ice and drained for days.

Gotta go with this. I think it makes very little difference unless you are going to go through the process of aging it for a longer period of time. I have had meat on drained ice or in a fridge for up to two weeks and never really noticed a difference at all from fresh killed. Every year we eat part of a deer that has been dead less than a few hours, get back to the cabin collect weights and measurements and cut out tenderloins and backstraps and prepare for dinner and they are never any tuffer/drier/chewier/gamier than after 2 weeks on ice/fridge.

I have also eaten a lot of head shot DRT, dead before they hit the ground deer and have never noticed them to be any more tender than one that was hit in the lungs or a little far back and covered 100 yards or so.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Self processing question [Re: redchevy] #5525629 01/07/15 05:45 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: kmon1

Gotta go with this. I think it makes very little difference unless you are going to go through the process of aging it for a longer period of time. I have had meat on drained ice or in a fridge for up to two weeks and never really noticed a difference at all from fresh killed. Every year we eat part of a deer that has been dead less than a few hours, get back to the cabin collect weights and measurements and cut out tenderloins and backstraps and prepare for dinner and they are never any tuffer/drier/chewier/gamier than after 2 weeks on ice/fridge.

I have also eaten a lot of head shot DRT, dead before they hit the ground deer and have never noticed them to be any more tender than one that was hit in the lungs or a little far back and covered 100 yards or so.

Mine are left on Ice for more of a time to get everything unloaded and relax before I gotta start cutting meat up roflmao
I think the biggest mistake I see is getting hair on the meat

Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5525842 01/07/15 07:50 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
No doubt, most of the deer I have that have made it 2 weeks on ice were from my college days. When you got finals to study for it can wait with a brick under one end and the drain open on the porch... however, visitors did find it odd

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5526249 01/07/15 11:06 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The last deer I did was on ice (well drained) for 15 days. The one before that was 12 days. Also, had a couple of hogs on ice 10+ days.... On the pit now...

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/topic/449002

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5526274 01/07/15 11:17 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I let quarters sit packed in ice (draining) for 7days to 2 weeks;
Tenderloin and backstrap (rinsed and put in gallon ziploc bags while quartering) are either cooked or re-rinsed + packaged/frozen @ 7 days.

Always turns out perfect - no offensive tastes or smell, and roasts are tender.

Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5526400 01/08/15 12:26 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I have an industrial meat tenderizer I use. Generally, I will let it set 4 days in the cooler on ice. I debone and remove as much fat and silver tendons as I can. Cut the meat into 3/4" slices and send through the tenderizer 3 passes. Makes the absolute best deer meat. We use it for chicken fry, stir fry, and fajita meat. Cuts with a fork its so tender.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5526638 01/08/15 01:53 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I quarter and age mine in the garage fridge for 7 days on young ones and 10 days on mature deer. I try not to get any water at all on the meat. If I have to clean it with water, I pat it dry with paper towels. I also make sure it is not in plastic so it can air/age. Everyone is different in how they do it. Bottom line is that if you do your own deer, you know what you are getting.

Re: Self processing question [Re: lubbockdave] #5527922 01/08/15 06:00 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I brine soak mine a couple days then process. Been doing it that way for 25 years and don't see a reason to change it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide