Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5526576 01/08/15 01:32 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
When I go after a Dall I'm gonna take you up on that lightweight pack-should cut at least 3 months off my training time.

grin

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5526601 01/08/15 01:42 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
Wow this guy is crazy!!!

Cam is a really cool guy in person.. More of a motivational type, then the me, me, me that some read him as

I can't run anymore and haven't ran more then 40 yards since 2001. I walk stairs and do elliptical or strider. Most my weight work out or core based.

TXTrophy might be a 145lb wet, and gifted with a fast metabolism. The rest of society is not including me.

Even the old timers NP and Western ( aka older then me). Would love to have same build and endurance they had 20 plus years ago combined with the hunting knowledge they have today. It would make they highly efficient.

I'm 147 as of last Mondays doctor visit.

I actually got a warning because my BMI is .45 from being 25 or obese. I chuckled at that

I eat right and don't overeat

That's the secret

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How do you train!? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5526625 01/08/15 01:49 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
When I go after a Dall I'm gonna take you up on that lightweight pack-should cut at least 3 months off my training time.

grin

Lol.. I actually ran it with no bag and just a stuff sack most my hunt. The rest of the year I've been using to pack in my climbing stand. My mulie went down 500yards from a road so it was a God send other then it was 500 yards down a nasty ravine and a nasty storm was blowing in and I had a drop dead time frame I had to be on the road and headed to DFW for a flight. So we gutted it and a buddy and I humped deer out whole via our shoulders. Fun hike.. Only 150lbs a peice probably.

It's pretty comfortable though it's a Cadillac compared to ebler's straps.

But truthfully you should just take the Argo smile

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5526640 01/08/15 01:54 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Wow this guy is crazy!!!

Cam is a really cool guy in person.. More of a motivational type, then the me, me, me that some read him as

I can't run anymore and haven't ran more then 40 yards since 2001. I walk stairs and do elliptical or strider. Most my weight work out or core based.

TXTrophy might be a 145lb wet, and gifted with a fast metabolism. The rest of society is not including me.

Even the old timers NP and Western ( aka older then me). Would love to have same build and endurance they had 20 plus years ago combined with the hunting knowledge they have today. It would make they highly efficient.

I'm 147 as of last Mondays doctor visit.

I actually got a warning because my BMI is .45 from being 25 or obese. I chuckled at that

I eat right and don't overeat

That's the secret

My first year of college I was 225 at 8% via the tub(I was at 6% for a little while then I got put on a special high cal diet due to I felt like I was going to pass out most the time). I'm a lot higher now but under 220

I haven't seen under 200 since my freshman year of high school. You're a little thumbtack lol.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5526642 01/08/15 01:54 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Give me a few more years and I may shut up about the Argo. smile

tth-147? Lordy mercy son you are built for speed.......

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5526651 01/08/15 01:56 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

No, him and T nT taxi are about same size...put some weight on their back.... They slow down quick!!!

And no Taylor I'm not ready for a hike!!!

NP hunt they way you want as long as you can!!! Then decide if the compromise is worth it

Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5526664 01/08/15 02:00 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
First step in getting in mountain shape is go buy under armour and Sitka gear

That's step 1

Ok that was pretty good

Re: How do you train!? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5526736 01/08/15 02:27 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

No, him and T nT taxi are about same size...put some weight on their back.... They slow down quick!!!

NP hunt they way you want as long as you can!!! Then decide if the compromise is worth it

Where we come up short (pun intended) is our stride isn't as great as taller folks so we actually don't cover ground as fast. Following people sucks because you have to walk a third faster just to keep up.

The weight part.....depends on the person. I don't enjoy carrying 100+ lbs on a pack frame but I can do it. But everything else being equal a guy that is 220 is gonna be able to carry more weight for longer periods of time 100% of the time than a guy who is 150

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5526752 01/08/15 02:32 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
It's all relative I have a friend that's 6'7.. I won't hunt with him. It kills me literally.

The key is to get out front, then rest why your waiting on the slower guys, then when they get to you start up again....

Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5526759 01/08/15 02:34 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Where we come up short (pun intended) is our stride isn't as great as taller folks so we actually don't cover ground as fast. Following people sucks because you have to walk a third faster just to keep up.

The weight part.....depends on the person. I don't enjoy carrying 100+ lbs on a pack frame but I can do it. But everything else being equal a guy that is 220 is gonna be able to carry more weight for longer periods of time 100% of the time

That's true about the steps. And the weight/strength. I ain't carrying no 100 lbs. plus more than a very reasonable distance. 60 lbs. back up and over was pretty tough on me-especially since we had to play "beat the clock" and be off the mountain before dark-or spend the night up there.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5526767 01/08/15 02:38 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It's all relative I have a friend that's 6'7.. I won't hunt with him. It kills me literally.

The key is to get out front, then rest why your waiting on the slower guys, then when they get to you start up again....

Had a young guide like that once. Told him it didn't matter if he saw the Chadwick ram if I wasn't there. Finally told him every time he took off on me his tip went down $100. He quit. smile

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5526776 01/08/15 02:41 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
What were the nights like in AZ?

Desert can get real chilly at night

Re: How do you train!? [Re: txtrophy85] #5526811 01/08/15 02:54 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
What were the nights like in AZ?

Desert can get real chilly at night

Weather was perfect to me. 30-35 in the mornings warming up to 60-65 during the day. Dry air made it even better.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5526824 01/08/15 02:57 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Ive been to colorado a dozen times and montana once. I'm no mountain hunter by any means but I've killed elk and mule deer and I've walked those mountains for miles 7-10 days straight and if I had one "tip" it would no doubt be mentally prepare.
I'm 6'4 190 and not muscular but I walk 6-8 miles a day in all weather all year long for work, I eat gravy by the gallons and drink sweet tea by the buckets and throw in a dip or a Marlboro for good measure on occasions but I never question that I can't do it and I never consider failure to reach an animal as an option.
Before the hunt I will cut back on sweet tea some and that alone with regular work will take off a few pounds in a couple weeks. I figure the less weight I carry in the more I can carry out.

Second thing for me is hydration. I can be drained and start to think I'm done and get some liquids in me and feel 100% better, best thing is not to get drained keep hydrated as you go. For me food is as important, I need something not heavy but filling. Don't forget also you burn a lot of calories in extreme cold and need calories to stay warm and comfortable to keep going.

I don't think hours on end of gym workouts is a difference maker, don't be a fatass and have some want to and you'll be fine.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: cmc] #5526836 01/08/15 03:03 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: cmc
Ive been to colorado a dozen times and montana once. I'm no mountain hunter by any means but I've killed elk and mule deer and I've walked those mountains for miles 7-10 days straight and if I had one "tip" it would no doubt be mentally prepare.
I'm 6'4 190 and not muscular but I walk 6-8 miles a day in all weather all year long for work, I eat gravy by the gallons and drink sweet tea by the buckets and throw in a dip or a Marlboro for good measure on occasions but I never question that I can't do it and I never consider failure to reach an animal as an option.
Before the hunt I will cut back on sweet tea some and that alone with regular work will take off a few pounds in a couple weeks. I figure the less weight I carry in the more I can carry out.

Second thing for me is hydration. I can be drained and start to think I'm done and get some liquids in me and feel 100% better, best thing is not to get drained keep hydrated as you go. For me food is as important, I need something not heavy but filling. Don't forget also you burn a lot of calories in extreme cold and need calories to stay warm and comfortable to keep going.

I don't think hours on end of gym workouts is a difference maker, don't be a fatass and have some want to and you'll be fine.

Pretty much my thoughts for my hunting style. I know my limitations, but they are not as much as even I might think if I stay hydrated and keep a positive attitude. That said, I ain't gonna tackle the Wrangells on a 20 mile pack in hunt either. I'll leave that for Cameron and Roy Roth.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5526954 01/08/15 03:59 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
There really is nothing comparable to walking up a steep mountain. Before my last trip to Afghanistan I knew we would be doing lots of dismounted patrols with some being in steep terrain. I did lots of stair stepper, running, ruck marching and when we got there I was out of breathe walking from the chopper bc of the elevation. After a few weeks of climbing steep hills and mountains I was in pretty dang good shape. They do sell a mask that limits oxygen to get you use to less oxygen at higher altitudes. Good Luck

Re: How do you train!? [Re: SapperTitan] #5527066 01/08/15 05:25 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
There really is nothing comparable to walking up a steep mountain. Before my last trip to Afghanistan I knew we would be doing lots of dismounted patrols with some being in steep terrain. I did lots of stair stepper, running, ruck marching and when we got there I was out of breathe walking from the chopper bc of the elevation. After a few weeks of climbing steep hills and mountains I was in pretty dang good shape. They do sell a mask that limits oxygen to get you use to less oxygen at higher altitudes. Good Luck

Do you have a good source for the mask???

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you train!? [Re: dogcatcher] #5528207 01/08/15 08:14 PM
F
folsom Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
They are called elevation training masks. The new version is called the 2.0 I believe. I've used them for sport specific training and find them to be a nuisance more then any thing honestly. And my gym is sponsored by them so I guess I shouldn't say that. Any further questions shoot me a dm and I'll help with questions if I can.

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5532855 01/10/15 08:12 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
More to the point I would recommend leg training to help pack out an animal after it's down. Squats/leg presses are good

Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5536329 01/12/15 01:49 AM
S
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I've been doing this program for a couple weeks and seeing some quick improvements. I like that it's all bodyweight and can be done pretty much anywhere. For example, in my living room at 10 after the kids are in bed.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html

I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. -Ted Nugent
Re: How do you train!? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5536439 01/12/15 02:36 AM
S
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Ugh it's so much work!!! I did and hour on level 10 setting on the stairmaster with 100 pounds in a frame pack and swam 100 laps afterwards yesterday.. I'm trying to do that 4 times a week plus my weight training 5 days a week..

Sweet fancy moses, that's a heck of a workout. You must be planning on catching and then wrestling your prey to the ground.

I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. -Ted Nugent
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide