R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Supplemental feed means it is there as a supplement for when the deer need it. If you keep it out year round the deer will go to it when they need it. Most people who feed it do attempt to manage their numbers and habitat first before starting to feed it. They fail then blame the feed on their failure to do the most important parts first. Supplemental feed is not a bandaid for poor management. When it is combined into a great management plan it becomes very successful. The results will speak for themselves.

Under a great mgmt plan, the habitat should be providing everything the deer are needing making supplemental feeds less desirable. stir popcorn

(Which is why I'm not concerned about not seeing deer eating out of ours.) The Ligustrum sinense is in full bloom. And they are eating the mess out of it)....bolt

But you still try to get them to eat it by your own admission. In the back of your mind there is that voice asking "how much better would the bucks be if they ate protein when they needed it?" stir popcorn

That's not what I'm thinking when I initially went to the feed store and bought the contraptions to pour it in.

Re: East Texas and Protein Advice [Re: BowSlayer] #5529655 01/09/15 02:23 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I hunt on 2 different properties in Rusk County that are both MLD 3 and both feed year round protein. On one of them a 2000lb feeder full will last 2 years. On the other one 2000 lb will last a month or two. I'm not really sure why other than the deer numbers are very different for the two properties. The property that uses the least protein grows the larger bucks year after year. loco

The numbers are different you mean in total population? Wonder if the natural food sources are more available or a higher quality at one than the other.

Yes, the total numbers are way different. As far as food sources, they are pretty much the same. On the one place they just won't touch protein. We tried mixing it with corn and they still will not touch it. I guess they just don't need it. I just find it odd that the place where they won't eat it produces better deer every year.

Does this happen to be the place with a lot less deer also?

Re: East Texas and Protein Advice [Re: Navasot] #5529804 01/09/15 03:26 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I hunt on 2 different properties in Rusk County that are both MLD 3 and both feed year round protein. On one of them a 2000lb feeder full will last 2 years. On the other one 2000 lb will last a month or two. I'm not really sure why other than the deer numbers are very different for the two properties. The property that uses the least protein grows the larger bucks year after year. loco

The numbers are different you mean in total population? Wonder if the natural food sources are more available or a higher quality at one than the other.

Yes, the total numbers are way different. As far as food sources, they are pretty much the same. On the one place they just won't touch protein. We tried mixing it with corn and they still will not touch it. I guess they just don't need it. I just find it odd that the place where they won't eat it produces better deer every year.

Does this happen to be the place with a lot less deer also?

Yes, the place with less deer produces better bucks. With the amount of protein they eat at the other place it seems they would produce better antlers but they just don't. The body weights are pretty much the same for both places.

Re: East Texas and Protein Advice [Re: BowSlayer] #5529818 01/09/15 03:29 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Less deer = more native food.They probably have everything they need.

Re: East Texas and Protein Advice [Re: titan2232] #5529823 01/09/15 03:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Does the feed label show any genetics added into the ration?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: East Texas and Protein Advice [Re: stxranchman] #5529840 01/09/15 03:38 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

It does say Record Rack and it has not produced that so I may try to get about a $10,000 refund. bolt

Re: East Texas and Protein Advice [Re: BowSlayer] #5529991 01/09/15 04:38 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

It does say Record Rack and it has not produced that so I may try to get about a $10,000 refund. bolt

clap

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide