Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa #5522088 01/06/15 12:11 AM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
HF's are always getting bashed in Texas. Do the same people that do that bashing think the ones in Africa are OK?

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522126 01/06/15 12:37 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Some do some don't

IMO I want to go to Africa to shoot African species not hunt a ranch where a fallow or mouflon may walk out

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: txtrophy85] #5522138 01/06/15 12:42 AM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Some do some don't

IMO I want to go to Africa to shoot African species not hunt a ranch where a fallow or mouflon may walk out
So what is the difference? I am sure they have none native game in Africa too. You can take Africa game here. Are the same animals that you take there in a HF different?

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522269 01/06/15 01:49 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
So African animals no matter the country of origin as long as they are somewhere in Africa? I mean you can kill a lot of species in South Africa that are African but not native to South Africa.

I will kill anything in any country from any country as long as I feel it is a quality hunt, high fence, low fence, no fence whatever.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522370 01/06/15 02:33 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: don k
Some do some don't

So what is the difference? I am sure they have none native game in Africa too. You can take Africa game here. Are the same animals that you take there in a HF different?

I was referring to ranches in Africa that import fallow and mouflon

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522447 01/06/15 02:53 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Well, IMHO, I've noticed these differences from my trip to Africa:

Ranches are much larger. The "small ones" were 4000-10000 acres. The large ones were 200,000+ acres.

The fences usually were in pretty poor shape comparatively speaking. This was almost universal everywhere we went. Patches, holes, rusting out, and sometimes patchwork quilts. Some of the fences looked ancient.

Very common to hear landowners talk about animals getting out or getting in.

Larger ranches always seem to have sections down here and there - so many miles of fencing it was like there was always breaks here or there. Ranchers seemed pretty lax about it unless there was dangerous game involved.

Almost all fenced properties were treated as "preserves", not breeding facilities. Manipulating genetics is virtually unheard of - not at all like HF whitetail operations in Texas. The animals are left natural or as close to natural as possible. The fences were more like keeping others safe from animals in the road, etc. rather than preserving high dollar livestock. Ranchers more interested in their cattle than their Kudu walking around.

Last edited by John Humbert; 01/06/15 02:54 AM.
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522509 01/06/15 03:13 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
confused2 every one knows white men cant jump dey even made a movie bouts it flag

i'm postaddic
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: 1860.colt] #5522515 01/06/15 03:15 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45
confused2 every one knows white men cant jump dey even made a movie bouts it flag

scratch why u thnk Santa has all dem raindeers flag

i'm postaddic
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522520 01/06/15 03:18 AM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Humbert said it well. They don't high fence to manipulate genetics. And more often than not they are high fencing to protect crops.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: dkershen] #5522680 01/06/15 04:19 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa

Texas has large HF Ranches.

Texas has HF ranches that do not practice genetic manipulation.

In Texas no matter the size of the HF ranch gets " labeled Canned".

Maybe what separates Texas from Africa is we just have to many "anti-hunters" which cause division even among hunter's.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: LuckyHunter] #5522715 01/06/15 04:35 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Maybe what separates Texas from Africa is we just have to many "anti-hunters" which cause division even among hunter's.

Yup,
My brother was planning a trip to Africa thinking it was going to be a wild and open place. Come to find out it was just a HF ranch that would bring in anything that you wanted to hunt. After speaking with the guide some he got the impression that the HF was to keep poachers out.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522732 01/06/15 04:49 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I think the difference is size. I have hunted high fenced farms in RSA that were 60k plus acres. The fact it is fenced never comes into play on a place that size. If the ranches in Texas were that large I don't think there would be any difference in the way hunters think about them.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Simple Searcher] #5522748 01/06/15 05:03 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Yup,
My brother was planning a trip to Africa thinking it was going to be a wild and open place. Come to find out it was just a HF ranch that would bring in anything that you wanted to hunt. After speaking with the guide some he got the impression that the HF was to keep poachers out.

Your brother is a perfect example of "My mind is made up", or he talked with the lowest, cheapest outfitter he could find.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 01/06/15 05:07 AM.
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Erny] #5522750 01/06/15 05:06 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Erny
I think the difference is size. I have hunted high fenced farms in RSA that were 60k plus acres. The fact it is fenced never comes into play on a place that size. If the ranches in Texas were that large I don't think there would be any difference in the way hunters think about them.

I see. So on 50,000 acres the hf would somehow "come into play". Man why didn't somebody just explain that decades ago!!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522757 01/06/15 05:14 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Some do some don't

Cost may also come into play. You shoot a Kudu, Impala, Blesbok, Waterbuck, Gemsbuck in Texas you will spend 35K +-. That will buy a great hunt in Africa.

I have hunted HF in both areas. Just check references and you can find first class outfits in both Texas & Africa.

Your right post a picture of a hunter with their Kudu and no one can tell if it was taken on HF, LF or NF.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 01/06/15 05:23 AM.
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5522788 01/06/15 05:55 AM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I have hunted both high fence and low fence in Africa as well as high fence and low fence in Texas. IMO, like mentioned before, the fences in Africa are not kept up well and it is common to have animals get in and out. That is not near the case in Texas. In Africa the HF places are gigantic and so are the LF places. I shot plenty of animals in Africa behind both HF and LF and honestly couldn't have told the difference if I hadn't had to go through the tall gate when I arrived there. We could go a couple days without seeing a fence.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5523033 01/06/15 01:48 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
I think where Africa and Africa huntings mystique left me was when I saw pictures of game animals being hoisted up and gutted using a new looking tractor with a front end loader. What happened to the days when PH's took the clients out using gun bearers and others packing all the stuff you needed to be out in the bush for a week or more? Now you seem to go out in a new Toyota shoot some thing then go get the loader to bring it in. Now how is that different than here except for the Toyota?

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5523091 01/06/15 02:22 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
There are many shades of High Fence. I say no to it all, but have thought twice about a Red Stag hunt in New Zealand or safari in South Africa. The more I looked into it you can still find similar hunts low fence. Argentina good place for low fence Red Stag and places like Zimbabwe for low fence safari. Only thing that would knock a South African safari down in my book is if I found out some expensive predator game like Lions were more closely managed only put out for the hunter. When you just say no to High Fence then there are no shades to think about.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5523097 01/06/15 02:24 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I know for one you don't get to bring the meat home. I know it feeds the villagers and workers, and you get to taste some of the different game in the meals you cook while your there. But that's about the same no matter what other country you hunt in outside the 48. The size is a huge difference and I would love to see that country at least once in my life, but no time for it anytime soon.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5523164 01/06/15 02:51 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What happened to the days when PH's took the clients out using gun bearers and others packing all the stuff you needed to be out in the bush for a week or more?

That ended in the 1940's. And the Safaris were at least a month. You can still book 21 day safaris, if you've got the cash. I can't afford it and I'm not enough of a "people person" to spend 21 days with the same PH. I don't know how they do it.

Plenty of places left in Africa that have no fences and it's still a lot of work to get a downed animal back to the truck and back to camp.

South Africa is mostly fenced ranches, but the acreages are huge, like far west Texas and then some. Other countries, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania have varying ratios of fenced properties to government concessions. I believe Tanzania is about as close as you're going to get to the really old "safari" style, but you are going to pay through the nose for it. The Tanzania laws are always changing and the trophy fees are always increasing by large percentages.

A lot of guys just check out South Africa and assume all of southern Africa is the same. Not so. South Africa is a great place for a first-time, economical plains game hunt.

And if you really want to get the feel of the really old days of "safari", there are a couple of places where you can camp in one country and walk into a place like, oh, I don't know, Angola, kill something and evade the authorities getting it back to camp. That's probably closer to the way it really was in the old days! West Africa still has some countries that will keep it plenty interesting for you!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: LuckyHunter] #5523707 01/06/15 07:35 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Yup,

Your brother is a perfect example of "My mind is made up", or he talked with the lowest, cheapest outfitter he could find.

You clearly do not know my brother. And clearly make assumptions "because your mind is made up."

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Simple Searcher] #5524013 01/06/15 10:36 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Yup,

You clearly do not know my brother. And clearly make assumptions "because your mind is made up."

1) My brother was planning a trip to Africa thinking it was going to be a wild and open place confused2 Have you seen the size of the African Continent. Why make a solid conclusion based on one "guide" all Africa is a HF put and take.
2) Come to find out it was just a HF ranch that would bring in anything that you wanted to hunt. confused2 I'll assume your brother was only looking at South Africa. Now I've hunted South Africa 3 times and the only time I saw the fence was at the gate. Maybe your brother talked with a small outfit. The DeBeer's ranch in South Africa is 250,000 acres under one fence. So don't say all HF Africa is "we will bring in what ever you want to shoot".
3) After speaking with the "guide" some he got the impression that the HF was to keep poacher out. soap So you set the "guide" straight. confused2

No Sir, I clearly do not know your brother but your story seems to lend a clear picture. If you are only looking for bad, you will only see bad.

If you would like to offer more to the story like how many professional hunters your brother talked with. What size ranches he was looking at. Then we can have a discussion. But to give the impression in one sentence ..."Come to find out it was just a HF ranch that would bring in anything that you wanted to hunt" is not doing your homework. Or Sir, you draw conclusion quick.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5524020 01/06/15 10:39 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
oh look a new way to start a high fence debate. yay!

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5524033 01/06/15 10:48 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
^^^^ We get tired of working in a 12 x12 "Canned" office ^^^^

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: therancher] #5524044 01/06/15 10:55 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: Erny

I see. So on 50,000 acres the hf would somehow "come into play". Man why didn't somebody just explain that decades ago!!

Don't get me wrong I hunt high fenced properties Texas and enjoy it. However, It's just not the same hunting a 2000 acre high fenced ranch as it is hunting a 100 square mile high fenced ranch. Regardless of the continent it is on. There are generally much larger ranches high fenced in Africa. The size of the ranch IMHO is what causes the perception difference on high fences between the two continents.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide