Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5525297 01/07/15 03:34 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Why did the guy go to specific places looking for one over 50?

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5525321 01/07/15 03:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have not hunted Africa, so I cannot comment based on personal experience. From what I read, many of the HFs in Africa are very large concessions, especially outside of South Africa. SA is becoming more and more a "game farm" destination (similar to much of Texas). So, personally, if I ever go I plan to focus on areas outside of SA and ask a lot of questions about the nature of the operation(s) I am considering. Certainly a huge concession fenced primarily to deal with poaching and other issues is much different than a 1000 acre "put and take" operation.

Africa is a complex and unique place. The evolution of sport hunting in Africa has been beset by a whole raft of issues (corrupt governments, rampant poaching, etc.) that do not apply here in America. And certainly don't apply to hunting whitetails in Texas-where population and availability is not an issue.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5525342 01/07/15 03:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I have not hunted Africa, so I cannot comment based on personal experience. From what I read, many of the HFs in Africa are very large concessions, especially outside of South Africa. SA is becoming more and more a "game farm" destination (similar to much of Texas). So, personally, if I ever go I plan to focus on areas outside of SA and ask a lot of questions about the nature of the operation(s) I am considering. Certainly a huge concession fenced primarily to deal with poaching and other issues is much different than a 1000 acre "put and take" operation.

Africa is a complex and unique place. The evolution of sport hunting in Africa has been beset by a whole raft of issues (corrupt governments, rampant poaching, etc.) that do not apply here in America. And certainly don't apply to hunting whitetails in Texas-where population and availability is not an issue.

I don't know any more, have you seen all the threads this year with poachers on GC, GW note posts, holes in fences etc?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5525361 01/07/15 04:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I don't know any more, have you seen all the threads this year with poachers on GC, GW note posts, holes in fences etc?

Yeah, but the issues in Africa are on a whole nother scale. Poaching is widespread and systemic in many areas over there.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/07/15 04:01 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: rifleman] #5525532 01/07/15 05:02 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rifleman

50" is kind of the threshold of "respectable".

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5525539 01/07/15 05:07 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I understand that, just curious on the deciding factor on which places to hunt.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5525552 01/07/15 05:14 PM
M
Matt1023 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Most outfitters in Africa should be able to get you on a 50 kudu. Ive killed three, all over 50, and most everyone that I know thats been to Africa and hunted kudu has killed an over 50 kudu. Sometimes it will take several days to find a good enough bull (they aren't called the grey ghost for nothing) but you should be able to get one with just about any reputable outfitter.

www.1023media.com/outdoors
Click the link above to check out our hunting ranch / breeder promo videos. Would love to film your ranch next!
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5525561 01/07/15 05:17 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Yeah, but the issues in Africa are on a whole nother scale. Poaching is widespread and systemic in many areas over there.

You see those camels... Yes... You want to take one.... But there are men on those camels..... Yes there poachers, you want to take one.... No I don't want a camel and I'm not shooting one with a man on it..... I was not talking about the camel.... 3 poachers were killed.... because they were steeling the professional hunters business.... camels were loaded with hides, horns and tusk. Yes, it is different in Africa.

Cutting holes in fences, shooting through fences, sneaking on to private property with night vision equipment... close

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: 505ed] #5525576 01/07/15 05:24 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: 505ed
I too have hunted both HF in Texas (2,300 ac)and once in Africa. We hunted 2 farms one that was a little over 6,000 ac and one that was 9,400 ac. I will tell you I did not feel any of those hunts were canned, on the African trip we worked very hard to get the Kudu,and Eland "in the salt". Guys any brush country over 1000 ac is a pretty big place. The smallest place in Africa I hunted was close to10 square miles. Most of the animals range is a lot less than that. Did I see fences...yes! Did I think the hunt was "canned"...No. I hunted on open consession too--around 200,000 ac. Where did we hunt? Well we hunted different areas, for different stuff. We hunted waterbuck on about 2,000 ac...why? Because that's where they liked to hang out. I can tell you there are many positives about hunting a HF ranch. Most limiting factor most of us have is time. We cannot book a hunt for 20 days, we have at most half that time. We also want to have a good chance at success...that's what we pay for...right? The animals are there. That does not mean we will take it. I had a friend go 2 trips to take a good kudu " over 50". He hunted 4 really good HF places. I know the Kudu were there...but he was not successful. Could you have baited them...yes. But it would not have been near as "sporting". I think the focus should be more on baiting and less on the HF...just my opinion.

Ed

Where is the line in the sand on "canned". To the anti's and some THF members it's any and all HF no matter the size it carries the label "Canned".

I eat canned salmon... but I have also fished a stream for salmon.

To me if you have it cornered it's canned. If it keeps escaping and it takes you a few days not canned.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Creekrunner] #5526189 01/07/15 10:36 PM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

True..50 is the kind of magic number for a nice kudu bull...

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: LuckyHunter] #5526211 01/07/15 10:46 PM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Originally Posted By: 505ed
I too have hunted both HF in Texas (2,300 ac)and once in Africa. We hunted 2 farms one that was a little over 6,000 ac and one that was 9,400 ac. I will tell you I did not feel any of those hunts were canned, on the African trip we worked very hard to get the Kudu,and Eland "in the salt". Guys any brush country over 1000 ac is a pretty big place. The smallest place in Africa I hunted was close to10 square miles. Most of the animals range is a lot less than that. Did I see fences...yes! Did I think the hunt was "canned"...No. I hunted on open consession too--around 200,000 ac. Where did we hunt? Well we hunted different areas, for different stuff. We hunted waterbuck on about 2,000 ac...why? Because that's where they liked to hang out. I can tell you there are many positives about hunting a HF ranch. Most limiting factor most of us have is time. We cannot book a hunt for 20 days, we have at most half that time. We also want to have a good chance at success...that's what we pay for...right? The animals are there. That does not mean we will take it. I had a friend go 2 trips to take a good kudu " over 50". He hunted 4 really good HF places. I know the Kudu were there...but he was not successful. Could you have baited them...yes. But it would not have been near as "sporting". I think the focus should be more on baiting and less on the HF...just my opinion.

Ed

Where is the line in the sand on "canned". To the anti's and some THF members it's any and all HF no matter the size it carries the label "Canned".

I eat canned salmon... but I have also fished a stream for salmon.

To me if you have it cornered it's canned. If it keeps escaping and it takes you a few days not canned.

Yep, I have been on 5 Safaris,and I will tell anyone, my experience was not diminished by a high fence. Now would I want to take a Cape buffalo behind a high fence? I don't know, maybe, mine was not so I can't say. Do I mind shooting plains game on a open farm,absolutely not. Would I go back to South Africa and hunt on a HF game farm,yes!There is a lot of difference between breeding animals and animals on the open farm. I will say it again. I have more of a problem with baiting than HF. I can shoot damn near anything setting at a waterhole or feeding for a month. Now do I bait on my ranch? You damn right! It helps with success, and as I said in a early post, it helps with the amount of time, one has....hell if you ask me if you are against a HF, then you should be against baiting, Game cameras...

Ed

Last edited by 505ed; 01/07/15 10:48 PM.
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5526233 01/07/15 10:59 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

So, have you hunted on a 1,000 acre hf ranch in Texas. And if so, what was the difference between hunting that and your lf 150 acres?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5527970 01/08/15 06:17 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I just like to hunt. HF, LF, NF. If someone else is buying I will travel to go kill something although as shotty as the world is I'm not big on going outside the good ole U.S of A. anymore. I just don't see where the where any place is better than here at home. Oh sure, you aren't going to get a Yukon moose here. Or a B.C. black bear here. But for me those aren't over seas excursions and don't have the same sense of concern. But I can kill a Kudu here. I can kill such a large variety of things here. I saw an ad for Nilgai cows for $750 a few minutes ago. If I can sell my boat I'm down with that one. Hope it's high fence though. That's a lot of money to spend not to get to get the meat.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5533914 01/11/15 03:47 AM
C
cliffie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I've hunted Africa 5 times, both HF and not in 3 different countries. You can have a great hunt on both if you do your homework.
I'll make some generalities here:
Any HF under @7500 acres will usually be a put and take proposition (no wild breeding of the huntable species). Much like a stocked fishing lake. You know they are they as they are put in there but you still have to catch them.
Over 7500 may have natural reproduction. The bigger ones (10,000 and up will usually have natural reproduction of some type).
South Africa has the most HF operations. 1,000s of them.
Even at 5,000 acres, if you are on the ground walking, it can be a good hunt.
HF is used to keep the "expensively bought" animals on the owners ranch. He owns them, he doesn't want them to go next door.
South Africa has a large "cow/calf operation" to raise animals for the hunters market.

Namibia, the country right next door, is mostly no or low fence with mostly wild natural reproduction on huge farms (that's what they call ranches there).
Both countries have great hunting. Many times better than anything over here if you do your homework.
Namibia takes a day extra each way from the USA to hunt.
For those who have a time constraint and want a great 1st African safari, South Africa is the place to go, period. You can find what you want with a little effort. If you have more time go to Namibia. It's great also.
If you have to have wide open spaces devoid of fences then I suggest Namibia for the most part. You can find wide open in SA but you have to look for it.
I've hunted twice in Namibia (all low or no fence) on places from 75,000 acres to 150,000 acres.
I've also hunted SA on 5,000 acres HF (as small as I would want to go).
It all depends on what the hunter wants and can afford. Small HF with 4 good animals can be done in a week in camp for under 5 or $6,000 in SA. Including everything except airfare and taxidermy.
As was said, the HF doesn't come into play for the most part.
If you have any questions, ask away. I'll try to help.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5534659 01/11/15 05:40 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I've hunted in Africa twice and I've been on 2 high fence hunts here in Texas. Comparing the two, I find a lot more things that are similar to them, then what I can think of that is different. I went to those places looking for specific animals and I enjoyed the entire experience tremendously. For me, it's all about enjoying myself. I can't say that for some of the guided hunts I've been on in the Rocky Mountains states. Comparing some of those operations to a high fence hunt is night and day. On every high fence hunt, I was treated like family. On the bad guided hunts, I felt like I was intruding or not wanted. Guides who wanted to get back to camp early, didn't want to get off the horses and actually walk, poor quality food, or going out in a group with the hope of being used to push animals to some old timer who had been hunting with the outfitter for the last ten years. I took my wife to South Africa this past August for her first out of state out of the country hunting trip. She shot two springbucks. A common outside a fence, and a black inside a fence. The common was an easy hunt. It pretty much walked right past us as we sat under some trees and she make an easy 50 yard shot. The black where very nervous and it was an all day hunt on foot trying to get ahead of them for a shot on a 3,000 acre ranch. I can tell you that the HF springbuck is the one she appreciated the most!!!

Our hunt was based out of the outfitters home on a 4,000 acre high fenced property. I shot a black wildebeest there. That's all we shot on his place. We hunted duiker on another HF property that also had buffalo and rhino on it. We saw a few of them, but they would go through the fence into Oranje River bottoms faster then I could get a shot off. That was the coldest morning there. I couldn't feel my fingers and was nervous I wouldn't be able to make the shot if we ever found one standing still for more then five seconds. My eland was on a 10,000 acre HF property. We had made arrangements to hunt there previously, so that morning, the manager of the ranch and a dozen of the locals who work there where up at first light scouting for a good eland bull. When we got there, they took us to the ridge where we could see where he was bedded down and then we spent a couple hours climbing and crawling around him to get into position. It was an exciting stalk that I thoroughly enjoyed. The other HF animal that I got was a red Lechwe that had gotten out of the fence and was wondering on the owners land outside the fence. He took a grand off the price of the animal if I would come shoot it before he went to a neighbors land. I hadn't booked a red Lechwe, and I didn't have the money, but my outfitter told me I could pay him for it after I got home and had it. The rest of my animals where shot on low fence sheep farms and cattle ranches in different areas. I shot nine different animals, and every one of them was in a different area, in different terrain. I don't know how anybody wouldn't enjoy an experience like that.

Eddie

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: EddieWalker] #5534872 01/11/15 06:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I've hunted in Africa twice and I've been on 2 high fence hunts here in Texas. Comparing the two, I find a lot more things that are similar to them, then what I can think of that is different. I went to those places looking for specific animals and I enjoyed the entire experience tremendously. For me, it's all about enjoying myself. I can't say that for some of the guided hunts I've been on in the Rocky Mountains states. Comparing some of those operations to a high fence hunt is night and day. On every high fence hunt, I was treated like family. On the bad guided hunts, I felt like I was intruding or not wanted. Guides who wanted to get back to camp early, didn't want to get off the horses and actually walk, poor quality food, or going out in a group with the hope of being used to push animals to some old timer who had been hunting with the outfitter for the last ten years. I took my wife to South Africa this past August for her first out of state out of the country hunting trip. She shot two springbucks. A common outside a fence, and a black inside a fence. The common was an easy hunt. It pretty much walked right past us as we sat under some trees and she make an easy 50 yard shot. The black where very nervous and it was an all day hunt on foot trying to get ahead of them for a shot on a 3,000 acre ranch. I can tell you that the HF springbuck is the one she appreciated the most!!!

Our hunt was based out of the outfitters home on a 4,000 acre high fenced property. I shot a black wildebeest there. That's all we shot on his place. We hunted duiker on another HF property that also had buffalo and rhino on it. We saw a few of them, but they would go through the fence into Oranje River bottoms faster then I could get a shot off. That was the coldest morning there. I couldn't feel my fingers and was nervous I wouldn't be able to make the shot if we ever found one standing still for more then five seconds. My eland was on a 10,000 acre HF property. We had made arrangements to hunt there previously, so that morning, the manager of the ranch and a dozen of the locals who work there where up at first light scouting for a good eland bull. When we got there, they took us to the ridge where we could see where he was bedded down and then we spent a couple hours climbing and crawling around him to get into position. It was an exciting stalk that I thoroughly enjoyed. The other HF animal that I got was a red Lechwe that had gotten out of the fence and was wondering on the owners land outside the fence. He took a grand off the price of the animal if I would come shoot it before he went to a neighbors land. I hadn't booked a red Lechwe, and I didn't have the money, but my outfitter told me I could pay him for it after I got home and had it. The rest of my animals where shot on low fence sheep farms and cattle ranches in different areas. I shot nine different animals, and every one of them was in a different area, in different terrain. I don't know how anybody wouldn't enjoy an experience like that.

Eddie

That sounds great.

Sorry about your western hunt experiences. I have not had a bad one yet. Had one or two where the food was marginal, but every outfitter/guide has been knowledgeable, hard working, and committed to the hunt. They are all friends to this day.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: EddieWalker] #5536979 01/12/15 12:22 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker

Eddie

Thanks for sharing your experience's with us. I hunted out west yearly for 26 years straight and can see your point on some of the outfitters out west. Most feel like they own the public land they are guiding on and can be real hard to get along with. That's about the only thing about hunting out west that I don't miss. Baker

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k] #5543342 01/15/15 12:38 AM
JakeinTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I've been to Africa once, it was a low/no fence place in Southern Zimbabwe. I had access to 50,000 of the 500,000+ acres. I loved it and the people and experience was just as cool as the hunt. After 4 hip replacements I walk with a cane and my arthritis has the rest of my body a wreck. So do I quit hunting because I can't walk all over? No, I go out to enjoy my self. I've hunted twice with Donk and liked it a lot. He put me in a stand and I shot deer. Both are on my wall, trophies to me. Because I can't walk far, anything beyond the stand I'm in is future area to explore. I know my limitations and I just like a place that can accommodate me. Would it be great to trek all over, yes but I'm just happy with what I can do. If you want to hunt hf, lf, no fence I support you. Just get out and enjoy.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: JakeinTX] #5544139 01/15/15 01:05 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: JakeinTX
I've been to Africa once, it was a low/no fence place in Southern Zimbabwe. I had access to 50,000 of the 500,000+ acres. I loved it and the people and experience was just as cool as the hunt. After 4 hip replacements I walk with a cane and my arthritis has the rest of my body a wreck. So do I quit hunting because I can't walk all over? No, I go out to enjoy my self. I've hunted twice with Donk and liked it a lot. He put me in a stand and I shot deer. Both are on my wall, trophies to me. Because I can't walk far, anything beyond the stand I'm in is future area to explore. I know my limitations and I just like a place that can accommodate me. Would it be great to trek all over, yes but I'm just happy with what I can do. If you want to hunt hf, lf, no fence I support you. Just get out and enjoy.

"If you want to hunt hf, lf, no fence I support you. Just get out and enjoy."

Perfect. Just remember, there are lots of people like our own NP who would outlaw HF hunting. Regardless of who it hurts.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: JakeinTX] #5544162 01/15/15 01:26 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
When ever you want and can come hunt again you are always welcome. When you came before I always admired your drive to keep going. Hang in there and never give up. Donald

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: therancher] #5544173 01/15/15 01:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher

Perfect. Just remember, there are lots of people like our own NP who would outlaw HF hunting. Regardless of who it hurts.

Glad you guys had a good time and have a good relationship.

But I thought the size of the fence made no difference in the hunting. So, tell me how it hurts this situation?

See, when you say whatever you can whenever you can, you catch yourself coming and going.

For the record, I would be fine with an exception for places that catered only to those with disabilities. Problem solved.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/15/15 02:15 PM.

Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5544450 01/15/15 03:44 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: therancher

Glad you guys had a good time and have a good relationship.

But I thought the size of the fence made no difference in the hunting. So, tell me how it hurts this situation?

See, when you say whatever you can whenever you can, you catch yourself coming and going.

For the record, I would be fine with an exception for places that catered only to those with disabilities. Problem solved.

Nah NP. I'm not the one who wants to decide for others. You're the one back peddling. Who would decide who is disabled in your controlled world?

HF have many purposes. Yes a FEW make it easier for physically or time/resource limited hunters. The vast majority simply allow the owner to manage the wildlife resource more effectively.

Your avoidance of my previous question is typical of folks who form opinions based on perception, void of facts. Which would be fine if you had a live and let live principle in you. We all know you don't. Keep back peddling. It's entertaining.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide