6241967 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5522088 - 01/05/15 06:11 PM HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
HF's are always getting bashed in Texas. Do the same people that do that bashing think the ones in Africa are OK?

#5522126 - 01/05/15 06:37 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Some do some don't

IMO I want to go to Africa to shoot African species not hunt a ranch where a fallow or mouflon may walk out

#5522138 - 01/05/15 06:42 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: txtrophy85]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Some do some don't

IMO I want to go to Africa to shoot African species not hunt a ranch where a fallow or mouflon may walk out
So what is the difference? I am sure they have none native game in Africa too. You can take Africa game here. Are the same animals that you take there in a HF different?

#5522269 - 01/05/15 07:49 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k]
cmc Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
So African animals no matter the country of origin as long as they are somewhere in Africa? I mean you can kill a lot of species in South Africa that are African but not native to South Africa.

I will kill anything in any country from any country as long as I feel it is a quality hunt, high fence, low fence, no fence whatever.

#5522370 - 01/05/15 08:33 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: don k
Some do some don't

So what is the difference? I am sure they have none native game in Africa too. You can take Africa game here. Are the same animals that you take there in a HF different?

I was referring to ranches in Africa that import fallow and mouflon

#5522447 - 01/05/15 08:53 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k]
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker

Well, IMHO, I've noticed these differences from my trip to Africa:

Ranches are much larger. The "small ones" were 4000-10000 acres. The large ones were 200,000+ acres.

The fences usually were in pretty poor shape comparatively speaking. This was almost universal everywhere we went. Patches, holes, rusting out, and sometimes patchwork quilts. Some of the fences looked ancient.

Very common to hear landowners talk about animals getting out or getting in.

Larger ranches always seem to have sections down here and there - so many miles of fencing it was like there was always breaks here or there. Ranchers seemed pretty lax about it unless there was dangerous game involved.

Almost all fenced properties were treated as "preserves", not breeding facilities. Manipulating genetics is virtually unheard of - not at all like HF whitetail operations in Texas. The animals are left natural or as close to natural as possible. The fences were more like keeping others safe from animals in the road, etc. rather than preserving high dollar livestock. Ranchers more interested in their cattle than their Kudu walking around.

Edited by John Humbert (01/05/15 08:54 PM)

#5522509 - 01/05/15 09:13 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
confused2 every one knows white men cant jump dey even made a movie bouts it flag

i'm postaddic

#5522515 - 01/05/15 09:15 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: colt.45]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Originally Posted By: colt.45
confused2 every one knows white men cant jump dey even made a movie bouts it flag

scratch why u thnk Santa has all dem raindeers flag

i'm postaddic

#5522520 - 01/05/15 09:18 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k]
dkershen Online   content

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Humbert said it well. They don't high fence to manipulate genetics. And more often than not they are high fencing to protect crops.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#5522680 - 01/05/15 10:19 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: dkershen]
SheepHunter Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: East Texas
HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa

Texas has large HF Ranches.

Texas has HF ranches that do not practice genetic manipulation.

In Texas no matter the size of the HF ranch gets " labeled Canned".

Maybe what separates Texas from Africa is we just have to many "anti-hunters" which cause division even among hunter's.

#5522715 - 01/05/15 10:35 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: SheepHunter]
Simple Searcher Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Maybe what separates Texas from Africa is we just have to many "anti-hunters" which cause division even among hunter's.

Yup,
My brother was planning a trip to Africa thinking it was going to be a wild and open place. Come to find out it was just a HF ranch that would bring in anything that you wanted to hunt. After speaking with the guide some he got the impression that the HF was to keep poachers out.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#5522732 - 01/05/15 10:49 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k]
Erny Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Smith County
I think the difference is size. I have hunted high fenced farms in RSA that were 60k plus acres. The fact it is fenced never comes into play on a place that size. If the ranches in Texas were that large I don't think there would be any difference in the way hunters think about them.

#5522748 - 01/05/15 11:03 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Simple Searcher]
SheepHunter Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Yup,
My brother was planning a trip to Africa thinking it was going to be a wild and open place. Come to find out it was just a HF ranch that would bring in anything that you wanted to hunt. After speaking with the guide some he got the impression that the HF was to keep poachers out.

Your brother is a perfect example of "My mind is made up", or he talked with the lowest, cheapest outfitter he could find.

Edited by SheepHunter (01/05/15 11:07 PM)

#5522750 - 01/05/15 11:06 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: Erny]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
Originally Posted By: Erny
I think the difference is size. I have hunted high fenced farms in RSA that were 60k plus acres. The fact it is fenced never comes into play on a place that size. If the ranches in Texas were that large I don't think there would be any difference in the way hunters think about them.

I see. So on 50,000 acres the hf would somehow "come into play". Man why didn't somebody just explain that decades ago!!
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#5522757 - 01/05/15 11:14 PM Re: HF in Texas Vs. HF in Africa [Re: don k]
SheepHunter Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: don k
Some do some don't

Cost may also come into play. You shoot a Kudu, Impala, Blesbok, Waterbuck, Gemsbuck in Texas you will spend 35K +-. That will buy a great hunt in Africa.

I have hunted HF in both areas. Just check references and you can find first class outfits in both Texas & Africa.

Your right post a picture of a hunter with their Kudu and no one can tell if it was taken on HF, LF or NF.

Edited by SheepHunter (01/05/15 11:23 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide