6240579 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5520676 - 01/04/15 11:29 PM Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot
Schmule Offline
Light Foot

Loc: San Antonio & Williamson Count...
So I have been dating a girl for a while and am now to the point of getting to know and connect with her 14 year old son. Lucky for me he loves guns but has never been hunting and only shot a shotgun a few times. So what better way to connect right? I typically hunt, dove, deer and hog with the occasional rabbit and other such varmint. I hunt with a Remington 700 in .270. I also learned to shoot from my dad on a .22 and then the Army did the rest.

My question is what rifle and caliber would you suggest to teach this young man to shoot on, with out breaking the bank or buying something entry level and realizing the kid doesn't actually like shooting and I am stuck with an entry level rifle. As well it has the knock-down power to do some hunting in South Texas.

As well is there anything I should teach differently or approach differently due to his age?

Preferred Realtor with the Texas Veteran's Land Board
www.WillCurtisRealEstate.com

#5520703 - 01/05/15 12:37 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Schmule]
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: East Texas
For a start, take him to the range and let him shoot your 270 and see if he likes that!!! My first rifle was a 6mm Remington and I still take it on hunts sometimes!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

#5520723 - 01/05/15 01:44 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Schmule]
Gusval Offline
Woodsman

Without breaking the bank, teach him w/.22 since he has never shot anything but a shotgun. Get the fundamentals down such as breathing, trigger control, aiming to name a few. Once both of you feel comfortable then try the .270 or maybe buy a Rossi rifle chambered in a 243. They are fairly low priced.

Edited by Gusval (01/05/15 01:46 AM)

#5520772 - 01/05/15 05:57 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Schmule]
Trouble_Shooter Offline
Light Foot

Loc: West Texas
Sound advice concerning range day's and .22's, always a good time. Also look into accompanying him to a Hunters Safety course, pretty good bonding time and heck if you are like me and a little gray around the edges a refresher never hurt right? ;-)

#5520809 - 01/05/15 06:32 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Trouble_Shooter]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: Trouble_Shooter
Sound advice concerning range day's and .22's, always a good time. Also look into accompanying him to a Hunters Safety course, pretty good bonding time and heck if you are like me and a little gray around the edges a refresher never hurt right? ;-)

This ^^^^^^

#5521020 - 01/05/15 09:14 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Schmule]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
.22s are cheap and you can practice, practice, practice. Once he shows good mastery, let him shoot the .270. You won't need another gun for a while because he should be hunting with you until he proves he can adequately kill without needing supervision.

#5521090 - 01/05/15 09:52 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Schmule]
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tarrant/Jack, County
Actually, I'd start with a pellet BB gun. You don't have to go anywhere special to do it, there is no noise to speak of and minimal investment. I always try to start people with open sites and I remain convinced the Marine Corps had it right. You really learn to shoot and the cause and effect with iron sights. Then using a scope is a piece of cake. I did it that way with my sons and all 3 are good marksmen.
Good Luck!

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...

#5521164 - 01/05/15 10:32 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Schmule]
Curtis Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Gonzales, Texas
I would say a .22 would be a good place to start. Single shot. Go to a pawn shop and pick out something used to train him with.
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

#5521174 - 01/05/15 10:38 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Schmule]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I like the pellet gun idea. Also I think practice is needed. I think way to many people see a chance to take a person hunting with no experience, give them a gun and a shot at an animal. I would make them practice, learn to shoot, then where to shoot animals, and also like the hunter ed idea along with iron sights.

#5521342 - 01/05/15 11:57 AM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: redchevy]
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tarrant/Jack, County
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I like the pellet gun idea. Also I think practice is needed. I think way to many people see a chance to take a person hunting with no experience, give them a gun and a shot at an animal. I would make them practice, learn to shoot, then where to shoot animals, and also like the hunter ed idea along with iron sights.

That's the beauty of the pellet gun, you can practice almost anywhere. Heck with some of the pellet guns on the market today you can squirrel and rabbit hunt as well as you can with a .22, ammo is plentiful and cheap.

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...

#5521530 - 01/05/15 01:23 PM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Schmule]
oldoak2000 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Denton, TX
Start him on a pellet gun or 22lr if you have firearm shooting facilities convenient. Once he demonstrates mastery of SAFETY and skills for accurate shooting and has completed hunter-safety course, get him on a .243 (savage brand with accutrigger - they are plenty accurate) & economical and (the potential wife) can shoot it too. Let the kiddo work up, and give him something to look forward to. Start him on small game, and work up to deer/hog.

#5521565 - 01/05/15 01:36 PM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: stxranchman]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

This ^^^^^^

Yup! just don't fall asleep

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5521653 - 01/05/15 02:29 PM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: Navasot]
KG68 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Goldthwaite,Tx
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

This ^^^^^^

Yup! just don't fall asleep

Sounds like someone with experience in this. rofl

#5521696 - 01/05/15 02:50 PM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: oldoak2000]
rattler03 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Start him on a pellet gun or 22lr if you have firearm shooting facilities convenient. Once he demonstrates mastery of SAFETY and skills for accurate shooting and has completed hunter-safety course, get him on a .243 (savage brand with accutrigger - they are plenty accurate) & economical and (the potential wife) can shoot it too. Let the kiddo work up, and give him something to look forward to. Start him on small game, and work up to deer/hog.

I agree on getting a Savage with the accutrigger, once he graduates to that level of hunting/shooting. They're great guns, go for about $550 with a 3X9 scope and are available in multiple calibers. At 14 years old now, he should be big enough to handle a caliber bigger than .243 (nothing against the .243, though) that may be more versatile for larger game. I agree with all the advice to first start with a pellet gun and .22, too. Good luck and enjoy the experience to bond over the outdoors with the young man.
-Robert Earl Keen

#5522340 - 01/05/15 08:23 PM Re: Teaching a Teenager to Hunt/Shoot [Re: redchevy]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: redchevy

X3

It would also allow for some friendly competition between the three of you. My wife, daughters, and SIL's had a blast after Christmas dinner trying to see who would be the first to shoot a BB into the top opening of a plastic Dr. Pepper bottle with my old Crossman.

Spring, Texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide