Re: Vortex reliability [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5520029 01/05/15 12:50 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Also look at a Leupold Rifleman or VX-1 in 3-9x.

This or the red field. Pretty much the same

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 603Country] #5520072 01/05/15 01:06 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Jimmie Moreland
So if not Vortex, what are the recommendations in the $150-$200 range. Primary Hunt is Whitetail/Hogs.

Nikon Buckmasters or Prostaff
Leupold VX-1
Bushnell Trophy

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Vortex reliability [Re: Brother in-law] #5520332 01/05/15 02:47 AM
JDMore Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
So if not Vortex, what are the recommendations in the $150-$200 range. Primary Hunt is Whitetail/Hogs.

How about none. If that's your scope budget I would be scared to see your base and rings budget

Well alrighty then. Guess all my hunting gear will be for sale in the Classifieds and we'll find another hobby with the kids.

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 603Country] #5520617 01/05/15 04:26 AM
B
Boog1 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I'm no competition shooter and I don't do a lot of dialing, but I do generally hunt one type of critter or another at least 2-3 times a week, year round. I have four Vortex Crossfire II's and I am completely satisfied with the performance of them all. I could have spent $1,500 each to keep up with the Jones's, but $150 each to get the job done and still have $5,400 in my pocket just makes more sense to me. I don't need to shoot a dime sized group at 1,000 yards to kill a deer, pig, coyote, etc. I don't shoot thousands of rounds at paper either. Maybe one day the Vortex's will break down; but under normal, plain old hunting conditions they have proven very reliable and accurate for me. I understand that some folks have a different job to get done and they may need a more expensive tool to work with; but for my purposes, Vortex fits the bill just fine and I will probably buy another Vortex when I need another scope. And no I don't work for Vortex or anyone associated with them.

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 603Country] #5520781 01/05/15 12:13 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: 603Country
Jimmie, at that price range you can get a very nice Burris FFII. The 4.5-14 was, I think, recently discounted to $200. I have a couple of them on various rifles and think that they are really nice. Used one on my 260 for about a year and can only say good things about them.

Of course, if you want to be cranking turrets, which is rarely necessary for pigs and deer, I doubt you'll get a good scope at that price.

Every Burris I have had, has been a great bargain for the price. I have had Leupold's, but for some reason I have trouble with the glass, my eyes not the scope.

I'd say go to cabelas, or other store with a wide selection, leave your wallet in the truck and look through a bunch in your price range, then go home and read reviews online. You may find as I did, that some scopes won't get along with your vision.

I wouldn't discount the Vortex since they do have a great warranty. In that price range you may have to make some concession.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: JDMore] #5520929 01/05/15 02:31 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

How about none. If that's your scope budget I would be scared to see your base and rings budget

Well alrighty then. Guess all my hunting gear will be for sale in the Classifieds and we'll find another hobby with the kids.

Don't be scared, it's just poor writing for don't forget your base and rings in the factor. There is a pretty good market on usable scopes in your range. Just be on the look out for much better scopes for not much more money.

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: Brother in-law] #5521511 01/05/15 07:16 PM
JDMore Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog

Don't be scared, it's just poor writing for don't forget your base and rings in the factor. There is a pretty good market on usable scopes in your range. Just be on the look out for much better scopes for not much more money.

I might have talked myself into the Diamondback Series(3.5x10x50), but rings and mount are already on the gun. Just upgrading scopes.

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 603Country] #5525679 01/07/15 06:12 PM
B
BCJ Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I just purchased my third Vortex scope.
I bought a Viper for my deer rifle in 2010 and have but that rifle through hell without any issues. I have a Strikefire on my 9mm AR that has a lot of rounds through it but no real hard use. This latest one it the PST to replace the cheap scope on the rifle I use for 3-gun. I just mounted it up this week so I don't have anything to report on that one yet.

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 603Country] #5528187 01/08/15 08:07 PM
J
jcneef Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I purchased the Viper HS earlier this year and it has been nothing but great for me... Like many i only use it for hunting and it does the job just fine!

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: Boog1] #5545837 01/16/15 02:27 AM
S
Shooter5645 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Boog1
I'm no competition shooter and I don't do a lot of dialing, but I do generally hunt one type of critter or another at least 2-3 times a week, year round. I have four Vortex Crossfire II's and I am completely satisfied with the performance of them all. I could have spent $1,500 each to keep up with the Jones's, but $150 each to get the job done and still have $5,400 in my pocket just makes more sense to me. I don't need to shoot a dime sized group at 1,000 yards to kill a deer, pig, coyote, etc. I don't shoot thousands of rounds at paper either. Maybe one day the Vortex's will break down; but under normal, plain old hunting conditions they have proven very reliable and accurate for me. I understand that some folks have a different job to get done and they may need a more expensive tool to work with; but for my purposes, Vortex fits the bill just fine and I will probably buy another Vortex when I need another scope. And no I don't work for Vortex or anyone associated with them.

x100 !

The truth is like a Lion. You don’t have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.
St Augustine
Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 603Country] #5546051 01/16/15 04:08 AM
T
Texaslawman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I've been running a vortex Razor HDII 1x6 since around August. So far it has performed perfectly on my Six8, I pretty much hunt every week and it gets banged around quite a bit. This is my first Vortex I chose it on the advise of a friend and I have been very impressed.

Pro staff: LWRCI, VORTEX OPTICS, SILENCER SHOP, HORNADY AMMUNITION, Barnes Bullets, Bass Pro Shops, . Huey Outdoors. CMMG INC.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/LoneStarBoars?sub_confirmation=1
Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 6.5x47Lapua] #5547675 01/17/15 02:12 AM
6.5x47Lapua Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
This week, my 5-20 Razor is going back to Vortex for the third time. First time was for tracking issues, second time my reticle came loose and would spin when turning up or down the magnification, and this time it's going back for not holding a zero and tracking issues. Each time they have fixed this scope until it broke again. We will see what they say this time. This a very early Razor, and I hope they will consider replacing it. Three times for issues is enough to burn anyone.

It would be nice to find a scope that doesn't break, but I'm not sure such a scope exists.

Got the call from vortex today. They have decided to replace my razor. Can't complain about that.

Re: Vortex reliability [Re: Brother in-law] #5561589 01/24/15 12:28 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

I work the gun counter at Cabela's and sell a bunch of scopes. I own Meopta MeoPro, Zeiss Conquest MC, Leupold VX-2, VX-R and Vx-3. Bushnell Elite 4200, Vortex Viper and Crossfire Rimfire, Clearidge and Burris Fullfield II. For my eyes the Fullfield II is easily the best scope in its price range. Not saying it is the best for everyone, just for my eyes.

As for rings and bases I use Warne and Leupold mainly because I'm familiar with them and they are good quality(not Leupold Rifleman though). There are other good quality mounts and bases out there such as Talley, I've just never used them. $75.00 is about the minimum you need to spend for good rings and bases. Just my opinion. I mount scopes at home and at work and the first point of failure that I see the most on a rifle is rings and bases - cheap ones.

Last edited by booradley; 01/24/15 12:38 PM.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 6.5x47Lapua] #5564806 01/26/15 12:48 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
Originally Posted By: daniel1381
that prices range i would try to get a swfa fixed power like a 12x

I certainly couldn't use a fixed 12x on a deer hunting rifle. 6x would be much more practical.

Agree X many. I like fixed power scopes but I don't believe 1381 has shot many running pigs at 75-100 yards. Pretty hard to pick up anything with a 12x when the target is running in close range, not enough field of view.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Vortex reliability [Re: 603Country] #5574269 01/31/15 03:52 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I've been replacing other scopes (and binos) with Vortex for a few years. I think if you compare scopes (or other optics) at any price point, Vortex delivers the best value. Much better scopes can be purchased but not at the same price. Myself and many of my shooting buddies have had very good service from vortex. I spoke with the Vortex factory rep at a local gun shop. He told me flat out "Buy a pair of my binos at a garage sale, run over them with a truck and I will replace them with a new pair. That's our warranty." Good enough for me. I like a good value in what I purchase. Whether I am going cheap or all in. I want value. Vortex has proved that value so far. No one I know has had a Vortex failure yet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide