Print Thread
Waterfowl Backgrounds #5513918 01/02/15 12:55 AM
B
BULSPRG Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Lets see if there is any interest in this. We have our idea's and approach to waterfowl hunting, our likes and dislikes so lets post up our backgrounds and how we learned this great sport.

I started hunting back in Illinois in the mid 70s with my father and grandfather. We hunted the Illinois and Mississippi river bottoms where the two rivers meet. They taught me how and when to call, set up the decoys, ID ducks and respect the resource and other hunters in the field and be prepared and set up early. Things they taught me not to do, SHOOT HIGH, call at every single duck I see and waste the birds after being harvested.

I remember the point systems, 30 day and three duck seasons and have seen the sport change dramaticlly in the last 20 years. My grandfather told me about the days of hunting over live decoys and going out in a row boat on the Mississippi River. He hunted the Veterns Day storm and how it went from nice to horrible in a matter of hours out on the river.

I really enjoy goose hunting too. Living in Illinois most of my life southeren Illinois was the place to go. I have been fortunate to hunt there in its glory days and see the sky go black with geese. I was also introduced to my first snow goose hunt there and having a 1000 birds over you spinning down into the decoys is a sight to see.

I love this sport and am truly obsessed by it. So thats my background and how I came to live the duck life so post up guys and tell us how you came to live the DUCK LIFE cheers

Let em Work
Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5514034 01/02/15 01:29 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
So you prolly familiar with west frankfort, pinkneyville and carbondale?
Hunt there every year

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5514066 01/02/15 01:39 AM
B
BULSPRG Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Yes Sir! Wifes family is from that area. Great hunting around there.

Let em Work
Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5514139 01/02/15 02:01 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
3 years at Minot AFB, ND, a farmer that lived near the base also worked on the base and invited some of us to hunt on his place. Spent many a day freezing on his duck ponds and along the Souris River outside of Minot. I had predator hunted back home in Texas, but he brought predator hunting to a new level compared to Runnels county in Texas. I also learned how to make a duck call while there.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5514902 01/02/15 02:28 PM
B
Bissett Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I started when I was around 13 just jumping ducks off ponds and then the first time I hunted with decoys was even better. I take em any way I can get em now

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5515033 01/02/15 03:32 PM
P
pprince Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I grew up claiborne parish north Louisiana hunting anything that moves. We ate some type of wild game 3-5 days a week. I remember my first duck hunt with my dad and others. We were in a pit blind in mer rouge Louisiana. I was shooting an over/under 20 gauge with 3" magnums. I don't recall how old I was but I know that I was not tall enough to get my head totally above the edge of the blind. Each time I shot the kick would shove my head into the metal edge, it hurt but I kept pounding on every volley. I left with a knot on my head. I killed a few ducks that day and gave the specs a run too. From that point on it has been everything from beaver ponds to big water. I love every part of it and hope for many more mornings in the swamps.

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5515532 01/02/15 07:50 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
I mostly hunted rabbits, squirrels, and the ocassional quail as a kid with my dad. Also killed many birds and other critters with my pellet gun running around by myself or with friends. Went out random times looking for deer (still have never shot one).

<Fast forward several years>

I had been out of the AF for a couple of years and was living with a friend. Last time I had been hunting was a few years back (98ish) while still in with some friends on some dove hunts. I had my lab (Paxton) that I "hunted" in the backyard and one day my friend asked if I wanted to go see what she would do out in the field. That was back in maybe 04-05. All I did was work the dog while my friend hunted. The next season I had retrieved my guns from my dad's place and started dove hunting again. While out dove hunting my friend asked if I had ever duck hunted. I said nope, never even thought about it. He said, "If you like dove hunting, you will love duck hunting." Had to find a barrel for my old Mossberg that would take the steel. We located one the day before season and the gf bought it. Went out teal hunting with them the next morning and got hooked. They like to deer hunt also, so when regular season came around I borrowed some decoys/call from his dad and my gf (their sister/daughter) and I went out and started to figure it out on out own with a few pointers. We still hunted with them when they came out. All out of control since. Tons of gear, another dog and this season a boat. My friend's (and gf's) dad doesn't hunt but a few times a season now as he mostly stays gone during deer season and the friend isn't really allowed to hunt anymore. lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5515594 01/02/15 08:17 PM
B
BULSPRG Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
These are really cool guys, keep them coming! Ladies you too.

Let em Work
Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5515793 01/02/15 10:12 PM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I grew up in Northern Michigan. I spent most of my youth chasing Grouse and Woodcock over English Setters up north, and trips with my dad for duck hunting down south on Lake St. Clair, Harsons Island, Walpole Island, and the St. Clair Flats. He grew up near Lake St. Clair and spent most of his youth duck hunting down there. After college I moved to Northern Ohio and spent the majority of my time hunting the marshes of Lake Erie near Sandusky Bay, and Port Clinton along with layout boat hunting in Maumee Bay. This is my third season in Texas, and by far the best hunting I've ever experienced has been in Texas. We shot a lot of Mallards and Divers up on the Great Lakes, but never such a variety of species as I've harvested in Texas. I was fortunate enough to have a father that set a very good example of a sporting gentleman. He is an accomplished field trial handler in both retrieving and for the last 20+ years, upland grouse dogs. I spent most of my youth following in his footsteps, doing a lot of competitive shooting, and dog training and field trialing, but enjoyed duck hunting the most. Although I still have a setter, I only make one trip back to Michigan for grouse camp every year to get my fill of upland. For me, at this point in my life, waterfowling is what I love the most. I learned most of what I know from my father, and still continue to learn from him today.

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5517301 01/03/15 07:15 PM
M
MAJKF Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
My godfather started me off pheasant hunting. That progressed to turkey. Although he was a big time waterfowler he didn't have a solid lease like for upland game.

Anyway, i was hooked on wing shooting and set out to self teach waterfowl id and tactics. With good luck i met a fellow army buddy who happened to be a pro. We started out jumpshooting small ponds and irrigation ditches. Low crawling through the brush to sneak up for our shots. Wven many years later still love stalking ducks, although for early season i do dabble in the whole decoy thing. The satisfaction of working them in is nice, but blasting cupped , feet down ducks lacks the shooting action excitement of jumping a surprise flight of out of the reeds 5 feet away, identifying drakes and snap shooting on pure adrenaline. slinger

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5517372 01/03/15 08:20 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I grew up in Southeastern Colorado on the Arkansas River Valley just west of Kansas. In the late 40s the Army Corp of Engineers dammed up the Arkansas River and created John Martin Reservoir. From the mid 50s to the mid 90s that area of Colorado hosted all the ducks and geese that now live in West Texas. I never hunted water growing up there was no need. We hunted cut corn and milo fields. We would put out huge spreads in the cut fields and hunt morning and afternoon. I shot lots of Canadians and Mallards. Never once blew a duck call but learned how to run a goose call. That area of Colorado is also full of irrigation canals. When hunting pheasants, quail or, coyotes we would watch down the canals and jump ducks coming off the canals.

I went to college in Kansas and hunted pheasants and quail. If given the opportunity we would jump ducks off of stock tanks.

My first real job was in California with no hunting, then I moved to DFW and worked for MCI during the Telecom boom. I started doing exotic hunts Africa 12 times and, Argentina 6 times. My first time hunting ducks over decoys was in Argentina. Then I moved to Georgia and hunting was all about hogs.

When I moved back to Texas I started hunting with JJ Kent, Bobby Luna and, Blake E. for ducks and Coastal Prairies for Geese mostly Specks and some snows. I wanted to learn how to blow a duck call and have hosted 3 calling clinics in which the guys from the Quack Shack, Mojo, Zink, Hobo and, Hevi-Shot came out and taught some heroes and myself how to blow a duck call.

The one thing that I have learned is that duck hunting is done differently depending on where you are. There are more ways to hunt ducks than just about any species around.

In Texas I prefer to hunt ducks in tanks in North Texas/Oklahoma or on the Coast. Both of those are different hunts.

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5517591 01/03/15 11:02 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
that reservoir ruined the Arkansas river, not even a trickle makes it to Dodge City

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: colt45-90] #5518012 01/04/15 03:01 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: colt45
that reservoir ruined the Arkansas river, not even a trickle makes it to Dodge City

It is all going to the front range has nothing to do with John Martin. There is no water in SE Colorado either...

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5518061 01/04/15 03:20 AM
T
TOMCAT21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Started off hunting squirrels around my Grand Parent's place in north MS. Quickly moved to Doves then got hooked on Ducks around age 16. Hunted north MS in HS and college then my Navy career took me to CA then FL then TX. Have had the pleasure to hunt all four flyways and in at least six states while seeing lots of the country in the process.

Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5518062 01/04/15 03:21 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I just started this fall. Watched duck dynasty and bought a call. Filled out the box tops and now I'm a prostaffer, so I know more than you

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Waterfowl Backgrounds [Re: BULSPRG] #5518116 01/04/15 03:49 AM
B
BULSPRG Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Some how I doubt that Jeff up

Let em Work