Forums46
Topics537,930
Posts9,730,819
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: how far can one run after a kill shot ? [Re: Erathkid] #5552081 01/19/15 07:42 PM
D
DPSTX Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
I've seen deer hit in the neck recover, jump up and run away.

Yip, I agree, done it myself. I shot one, he fell down, laid there for 5min while I was getting out my tag and stuff and then he got up and ran off. I went over to where he laid, and there was NO blood to be found, just the flattened grass. This is my point about neck shots, if you miss, or don't hit them hard enough to make them stay down, then they'll likely live. I would rather miss or completely "not kill" the deer than shoot him and have him die hours or days later. Upper neck shots have more concentrated put-down-stay-down stuff to hit with little stuff to hit that will kill them without putting them down to stay.

DPSTX

Nothin' but neck....
Re: how far can one run after a kill shot ? [Re: Ketchn] #5563013 01/25/15 12:48 PM
K
Ketchn Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
let me tell yawl a story .....
2 of us rode one 4 wheeler into a place ...
bud dropped me at my blind and went to his
late in the evening a doe came in acting spooked
following her was broken racked big 8 point
several tines broke off and looking like a bully he was
we hunted a multiple buck tag area and we agreed big buck or big doe before the hunt
well the buck fit the criteria and when they passed by the feed pen he stopped a second broadside
right when I squeezed the trigger he stepped forward ...not good !
she bolted and he started to follow ...I chambered up to finish him and he stopped in some thick brush
she continued on and he watched her leave ....never left the brush ,just stood there
couldn't get a shot so I waited for him to exit ....he never did ...he just kept standing there
minute or 2 later he very calmly laid down with his head up
watched him for a few minutes and decided I could make a neck on him thru a tiny opening
took the shot he went down like he was stoned ....I called my bud
got out of the blind walked over to tag him and as I stood there behind him
I noticed his chest moving like he was breathing
I unslung my rifle just in case and when I clicked the safety off
he was up and running like a bullet ....
missed him on the 3rd round and finally ...
out of pure luck for sure hit him AGAIN on the 4th round right behind the shoulder
he still made it about 75 yards and over the fence before he was done !
bud showed up and was like WT heck ?
sounded like world war 3 started he says ...
and I told him the story as we looked at that swiss cheese buck eek2

Re: how far can one run after a kill shot ? [Re: DPSTX] #5563080 01/25/15 02:14 PM
C
cva34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
On the downside only seen once .Involved in tracking neck shot once.They said it was miss but we found hair skin and pieces of flesh,little blood .As we followed he kept hearing this wheezing and coughing..It was easy tracking just listen.Finally caught up and finished it off..The original shot took out windpipe,and I guess blood running down into damaged windpipe caused the coughing and wheezing..That would been a miserable way to die...Just something I was involved in and made me think...No doubt if you hit neck Bone/Juggler Vein its Lights out..Not against Neck shots just saying it ain't 100% or clean miss

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide