Print Thread
Be careful out there #5510308 12/31/14 03:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
An accidental shooting on a hunting trip sent a young 15 year old boy to the hospital by Life Flight air ambulance with a .22 caliber gun shot wound to his left side. Deputy Sheriff Ruben Arrelano responded around 5 p.m. this evening to the call and was told the young man’s 44-year-old uncle, who lives in South Liberty County had been hunting for wild pigs and had killed one in a nearby wooded area.

In an effort to recover the pig, the young man and his uncle were riding an ATV into the wooded area when a .22 caliber handgun the young man was carrying fell to the ground and accidently discharged, striking the boy under his left arm.

Life Flight air ambulance transported the youngster to Houston for medical treatment but it was not thought the wound is life threatening.

From the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5510321 12/31/14 03:52 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Thank God he's ok!!! His uncle should have known better than to let him carry a loaded gun in a moving vehicle!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5510387 12/31/14 04:27 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Nothing wrong with a loaded gun in a moving vehicle if transported properly. It wasn't.

What are the odds of dropping a loaded gun from a moving vehicle and not only having the gun discharge upon hitting the ground (not concrete), but also having the gun hit the exact person that was carrying it?

I would be more inclined to believe that the gun discharged and then fell to the ground and not the other way around. That isn't what is reported, but what is reported so far does not sound credible.

Either way, lessons will hopefully be learned on behalf of the boy, his parents, and the uncle.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5510435 12/31/14 04:48 PM
C
clandr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Nothing wrong with a loaded gun in a moving vehicle if transported properly. It wasn't.

What are the odds of dropping a loaded gun from a moving vehicle and not only having the gun discharge upon hitting the ground (not concrete), but also having the gun hit the exact person that was carrying it?

I would be more inclined to believe that the gun discharged and then fell to the ground and not the other way around. That isn't what is reported, but what is reported so far does not sound credible.

Either way, lessons will hopefully be learned on behalf of the boy, his parents, and the uncle.

I totally agree, it sounds fishy/unlikely. More like someone accidentally shot themselves/someone else and was too embarrassed to admit it. When I see stories like "the gun went off while I was cleaning it" I typically take that to mean "I was screwing around being unsafe and Darwin bit me".

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5510438 12/31/14 04:49 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Guns not being carried for personal defense are much safer when carried with an empty chamber. It takes less than a second or two to cycle a shell into the chamber when needed.

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5510780 12/31/14 07:37 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Guns not being carried for personal defense are much safer when carried with an empty chamber. It takes less than a second or two to cycle a shell into the chamber when needed.

X2

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5511576 01/01/15 01:27 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Article on news this morning where lady with CHL was killed when her 2yo child got into her purse, found her weapon, and discharged it.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5511659 01/01/15 01:50 AM
M
mikeydon Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Prayers sent angel

Hunt with your kid's,And you wont be hunting your kid's
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5512546 01/01/15 03:05 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Guns not being carried for personal defense are much safer when carried with an empty chamber.

LOL, no. The intent of carry does not change the actual safety of the gun itself. If the gun was actually dropped from the moving ATV as claimed, then it was being carried improperly. Had it been securely holstered, it would have been fine, but that just wasn't the case.

Besides, they were going after a potentially wounded and very pissed off animal.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 01/01/15 03:20 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5512748 01/01/15 04:55 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
angel Prayer's flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5512780 01/01/15 05:08 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Guns not being carried for personal defense are much safer when carried with an empty chamber.

LOL, no. The intent of carry does not change the actual safety of the gun itself. If the gun was actually dropped from the moving ATV as claimed, then it was being carried improperly. Had it been securely holstered, it would have been fine, but that just wasn't the case.

Besides, they were going after a potentially wounded and very pissed off animal.

not an expert like some. carry my slinger pistal with hammer on empty chamber. i drop it, tis a safety measure. angel Prayers for the young man & family acidents happen flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Be careful out there [Re: 1860.colt] #5513485 01/01/15 10:10 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: colt.45
not an expert like some. carry my slinger pistal with hammer on empty chamber. i drop it, tis a safety measure. angel Prayers for the young man & family acidents happen flag

I could be wrong, but suspect the halfckok design common to the early lever guns was created specifically to keep the hammer from resting on a live cartridge. It's nothing but sheer foolishness to ignore the fact that anything as dangerous as a loaded firearm could be dropped or mishandled through normal use.

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Texas Dan] #5515454 01/02/15 07:06 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: colt.45

I could be wrong, but suspect the halfckok design common to the early lever guns was created specifically to keep the hammer from resting on a live cartridge. It's nothing but sheer foolishness to ignore the fact that anything as dangerous as a loaded firearm could be dropped or mishandled through normal use.

confused2 lost me on the big words , Don. scratch wasnt hhand gun involved in shooting. offtopic the newer Winchester lever action know has several safty fratures. the half cocked, keeps preasure off spring on hammer. also a slide bar, newer pistals also have them, got bufffalow scout revolver, & on Winchester lever action ya have ta have leaver preased against stalk or it wont fire. droped mine out of a stand from 20ft, it was half cocked,keep preasure off spring, safety bar pushed in. didnt go off. any updates? angel Prayers ever one okay. Edit: dueling with android. last edit didnt post. used ta fast draw slinger back in 70's pard carries bullet from accident. we lurned ta keep hammer over empty chamber. flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide