Forums46
Topics537,013
Posts9,719,414
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad #5505597 12/29/14 06:02 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
So as most of you know I came across this ad on craigslist for a hunting trip to a high fenced ranch with exotics. The details are 350.00 - BOW ONLY - includes Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. You are allowed to kill: 1 whitetail doe, 1 whitetail spike, 1 blackbuck doe, 1 hog, and 1 turkey (if seen).

Sounded like a great deal, but was a little concerned because it sounded too good. Well it was a good trip but was not as well. I will explain...

I arrived Friday as instructed at 2pm, and we geared up to go out to the blind at 2:30. I was dropped off at a ground blind, and I asked if there was a tree stand or a raised blind at this same feeder to shoot from. I was then informed he doe snot allow raised blinds or tree stands due to insurance reasons of potential falls (which makes a little sense , but makes bow hunting harder at ground level and A LOT EASIER to be spotted when drawing the bow back for a shot at 15 to 20 yards, which is how far the blinds were from his feeders.)

I assumed since we got out at 2:30 pm the feeders went off between 3:30 and 4pm to give time before dark. However, to my surprise, I was informed that they do not go off until 5:15pm; this would only allow about 45 mins of kill time after the feeders go off - seems a like a short window. So I got out to the blind and about an hour later a small whitetail fawn comes out and started searching for left over corn from the morning, then goes off into the brush to hang out I suspect. Then about 30 mins after that a nice blackbuck male (not allowed to shoot) comes out to check things out. This was pretty cool to see, as this was my first time seeing one. Just after that the fawn doe came back out to hang out with the blackbuck, then they both left.

Well the feeder went off at 5:25pm and the fawn came right back out and started eating. A note about the feeder, maybe a hand full or two of corm came out when it went off at the most (expected a little more to come out). The fawn made quick work of the corn that was there and then booked out. Now the fawn was more of a teenager than a young fawn, but not real big, and since this was my first evening I did not want to waste my whitetail tag on a small doe. Before you knew it the 30 min window after the feeder went off was over and nothing else had come in, and right at 6pm on the dot the ranch owner was there to pick us up. One note about this, is he has a big diesel truck which you can hear all over the 120 acre ranch, which I am sure the deer are used to it, but at the same time when they hear that I am sure they associate it with hunters (I would have assumed he had another from of transportation to take hunters around the property).

We then went to pick up the other hunter from his blind, and he informed us that he shot a small doe. He then showed us where his arrow hit, and where he said the doe ran off to. Now... he was using a 2 blade rage broadhead.... Those do some damage, and have a GOOD blood trail... There was NOT ONE drop of blood anywhere within a 20 yard radios of the spot where he said he had hit the doe. We then spent 45 mins in the dark searching the woods around that feeder without a blood trail. Finally the ranch owner asked him, are you 100% sure you hit him? And the guy said YEAH I SMACKED HIM, but could not tell us where on the deer he "smacked him". He then asked him one more time is he was positive that he hit him, and the hunter said yes. So the ranch owner called it as a lost animal and charged him his doe tag haha - Good call on his part. But I don't think he ever hit the doe.

We got back to the small lodge on property (which you cannot stay in, because he occupies it during the hunts, so you have to drive back to town which is a good 30 min drive to a small motel.) And he informed us to be back at the ranch by 5:30am. You would think he would do it the other way around for the paying customers, or at least for an extra charge, but maybe I am expecting too much here.

The next morning I arrived at 5:20am and he was waiting for me there in his kitchen window and came out to greet me. We sat and talked about the evening's hunt while we were waiting on the other hunter. By 6am the hunter still had not shown up, so he took me out to my blind so I would be in good position when the feeders went off at 7:20am (which is a great time for the morning feeder to go off).

I got to the blind and about 30 mins later it was still dark, and I heard some movement and some crunching around the feeder of the left over spots of corn from the night before. I could see a shadow walk in and out of the feeder all the way until shooting light at 7am, and then noticed it was the same fawn as the evening before. Then at 7:20 the feeder went off right on time, but the same small amount of corn. This time 4 good sized whitetail does walked out along with the fawn. YES!!!! However they seemed VERY VERY VERY skiddish, every time the trees crackled from the breeze they jumped a bit. At this time I had regretted wearing my rain jacket (foretasted 60% chance of rain). Once they all got to a spot to where they were semi comfortable and not looking directly at my blind I drew back... My jacket made a small noise, but being at 15 yards this was plenty to get their attention. Here is where being on the ground and bow hunting fails... They all looked directly at me and that gave me about a 2 second window to make the shot, which I could not cleanly line up and they all took off. I was PISSED at myself for making noise, but I was as quiet as I could be. The fawn actually stuck around and did not care, but like I said before I did not want to waste my tag on such a small deer.

The group actually came back about 30 mins later and every step they took they lifted their head and looked at me to see if I was moving. I did try to draw again, but before I even finished raising my bow slowly they booked out again (not returning a 3rd time). It was at this point where I decided if the fawn came back I would go ahead and take it and then try for one of the other species I could shoot. Then about 8:55am the fawn did come back but was not clearly out in the open. At 9am on the dot I heard the big diesel coming through the gate and the gate creak open from about 600 yards away, it was then I knew I would not have a shot at the fawn. I did not realize the "morning hunt ended at 9am."

He picked me up and asked how I did, and I told him what had happened, and he said they must have winded you and that's why they were so skiddish - I agree to an extent, but my clothes were fresh, and heavily scent guarded (even my equipment is). Then he suggested I move blinds for the afternoon since they made me at that blind which I agreed. So I asked what time we go back out, and he said 3pm.... I said so what am I supposed to do for 5 to 6 hours? He said to drive into town and get lunch and take a nap.... I said I did not just drive 4 hours to eat lunch and nap in a motel room, I came to hunt. He said they bed down during the day and there is no point in being out there (as he is saying this I am seeing his deer roam around as we are driving back to the front gate). And then I said since I am the only one here can we do a spot and stalk, or instead of sitting at a feeder, since they do not go off in the middle of the day, can I sit on a trail they use and see if I can catch them moving to their beds? He then gave me some excuses and pretty much said no. At this point we saw a downed blackbuck male and stopped to check it out.. It looked like it had gotten in a fight because its neck was broken, and it was fresh. We the put it in the truck.

So I went in town and got lunch and came back (as I was not really tired enough for a "nap") He was cleaning the blackbuck when I got back to mount the head in his lodge. He then asked me if I wanted a picture with it because it was an exotic, and of course I said yes. After he took the picture he said he was going to send it to some people saying "killed this weekend." - It was killed yes, but not by a hunter...

So I watched him finish up and by this time it was 2pm so he took me out to the other (pop up) blind a little early. This blind was a little better (25 yards away) from the feeder and a little more secluded. Which I was happy with. Nothing came through at all until the feeder went off at 5:15pm which gave 45 mins of shooting opportunity. The only thing that came through were axis deer, black buck males, and NICE red deer, and a nice axis male (all not allowed to shoot for this trip.) So at 6pm he arrived to pick me up and asked what I had shot, and I told him what had come in, and he said at least you saw some cool stuff.

The next morning (Sunday - today)- he took me out to the blind I was at the first evening and Saturday morning. Same thing, about 5:30 I heard crunching then it stopped (I am assuming the left over corn was gone). At this point it was sleeting pretty heavily. 8:30am came and not one sighting of anything besides a bird. So I called it (as I was having ice gather on my gear and clothes. and had him come get me. (all the corn still there). His response was that they must have winded me again in the background and never came into the feeders. Maybe they did, but I did not even see any in the distance trying to work theri way in, maybe they sleet held them off.

So all in all, I could not even shoot anything in a high fenced pen hunt.. . makes me feel like a terrible hunter haha

Overall, I think the idea is great, and he has some NICE very shootable exotics if you want to pay the exotic prices. But I just think he has some major kinks to work out of his operation. He really needs to ad some raised blinds for the bows, and I think his deer are hunted so much they are super skiddish. He also needs to find another way to transport his clients to the blinds besides his BIG diesel truck, something a little less noticeable. He also needs to allow more time at the blinds, more feed when the feeder goes off and 2 extra times the feeders go off.

I would say get there at 1pm Friday afternoon, in the blind by 1:30, then the feeder goes off at 3pm with more corn, OR same amount and then it goes off again at 5pm - this way the sound of the feeder works as a call as well; double opportunities if the first group takes off or leaves the area and a new group migrates in.

Then in the mornings, the feeder goes off at 7:20am and then again 9:30am and then you stay out there until 11am.. This will give you a 2 hour window to have lunch - which should be prepared in the lodge: sandwiches , chips and small drinks would be perfect as you don't need anything fancy.

At the end of the night you should be able to stay int he lodge itself, which should be offered as an addition to the price for 50 a night would be acceptable.

With these small adjustments and changes I think he could have a really good operation on his hands. Videos of my two days below... SORRY FOR THE BOOK!!!

Am I right or am I just a grouch?

DAY 1

DAY 2

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5505617 12/29/14 06:47 AM
B
browning_3248 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Why would you high fence 120 acres..? confused2

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5505634 12/29/14 08:23 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Sounds like an honest review. From the initial description of the place, I wouldn't have expected anymore than what you received. Places like that rarely pan out.

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: Sneaky] #5505639 12/29/14 09:07 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Sounds like an honest review. From the initial description of the place, I wouldn't have expected anymore than what you received. Places like that rarely pan out.

Agreed, but I went on trade haha which gave me less expectations. However the other hunter that was there paid up front for the whole trip and never showed up after the first day, maybe he figured he would not waste the rest of his week end?

The thing is though, he is so close to having a great small high fence set up. Increase the feeding schedules to more times and longer hunts, and add in blinds 15 feet off the ground for real bow hunting so its not so easy to get busted. With those options added it would make a huge difference.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5505659 12/29/14 11:48 AM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
High fencing 120 acres?? That should be illegal. roflmao

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5505720 12/29/14 01:12 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Agreed, but I went on trade haha which gave me less expectations. However the other hunter that was there paid up front for the whole trip and never showed up after the first day, maybe he figured he would not waste the rest of his week end?

The thing is though, he is so close to having a great small high fence set up. Increase the feeding schedules to more times and longer hunts, and add in blinds 15 feet off the ground for real bow hunting so its not so easy to get busted. With those options added it would make a huge difference.

Yeah, you never know until you try it.

I guess if you're going to high fence 120 acres and pack it with exotics, you have to create some sort of challenges.

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5505899 12/29/14 03:03 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Probably wasn't any WT or very little in the pen. confused2 But good review. up

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506376 12/29/14 06:40 PM
22hemi13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I don't ever read posts that long. But you nailed it. An honest review without bashing. If only everybody could do a review like that.

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506400 12/29/14 06:58 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I tried to be open minded about my experiance. Like I said it was not a horrible experiance, but could have easily been way better. I do not think I would return unless some changes were made to the opperation.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506477 12/29/14 07:45 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
120 acres is great for breeding pen(s). Buying and selling animals. Just cause there is a highfence there doesn't mean there is always gonna be a kill. Good right up on your review.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506492 12/29/14 08:00 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't see a problem with ground blind hunting, but I do see a big problem with his particular style of ground blind. You don't want light inside a ground blind and his has no roof. You lit up brighter than a Christmas tree. That's one of the biggest mistakes I have seen bow hunters make on my place with ground blinds and they open the windows in the back. You do not want light behind you or above. Your sitting in a lighter colored blind, wearing darker clothes. That basically like a black dot on a white sheet of paper. No good. It's not a matter of being up in the air or not, the blinds he has are just not made right to begin with.

Did you happen to ask him if he allows you to bring your own pop up ground blind? You may have better success with that.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506557 12/29/14 08:36 PM
J
JROD Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Not trying to be rude, but for $350 what can you expect? I think hat a fair price just to set and watch exotics for four hunts, let alone have the opportunity to hunt. I have no trouble with ground blind bow hunting. I understand the insurance thing. We hunt west texas and ground blinds are it for the most part. Nice review, but think you might of expected too much.

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506584 12/29/14 08:51 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Did you see any Blackbuck does at all? Were there any at the ranch?

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506591 12/29/14 08:54 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
$350. Craigslist. 120 acres.

I can't see why you would expect any different outcome.

[Linked Image]
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506603 12/29/14 08:58 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Makes you wonder why they only these particular animals. Maybe hardly such critters but the price looks eye appearing.

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: John Humbert] #5506633 12/29/14 09:13 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Did you see any Blackbuck does at all? Were there any at the ranch?

As we were driving around the property at the end of one of the hunts, we did see a group of 10 does wandering around. Never saw them at the feeders, and the last pic he has of them at a feeder is back before the time changed. All of this information was given at the end of the hunt haha.

I also understand that the price was good, as I am not complaining about the price, and it was not a "bad hunt."

I got to see some cool stuff, and did have an opportunity at a whitetail doe. My review was merely to point out some asy fixes that could have made this a fantastic experience. Even if I had killed the doe, the same review would have been written, as these potential improvements were notice right away.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5506662 12/29/14 09:25 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Send him a copy of your review. What do you mean you got it on trade? Anyway, I like your attitude. There's a guy on here offering a red hind doe for $500, I think you should take him up on that offer, if he allows bows.

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5507204 12/30/14 01:18 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #5507762 12/30/14 04:48 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BLUERIBBONS

yup that's it..

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5508030 12/30/14 01:24 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I think on some aspects you are right, and others you're expecting too much. personally, after the first day, I would have bought a sack of corn to throw some out since the feeder wasn't throwing much. As far as the blinds, I've killed some really nice deer out of pop up's. as stated, they have to be dark on the inside. I carry a roll of black duct tape to seal up any cracks or tears. I also put a berm of dirt about 1 foot high around the bottom of the tent. I think I agree on why he doesn't have elevated blinds. That's a huge risk IMO.

as far as lodging, I don't know. if that's the only place to stay, that's the only place to stay. If he let you stay there, and had to get a hotel room, then he'd probably raise the price of the hunt to $500 or more.

with that said, he should make sure the pop ups are set up correctly and feeders are full and go off when he says they will.

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5508144 12/30/14 02:24 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
This is a get what you paid for hunt. He has the animals trained on his routine. That's why they are so skittish, they know hunters are dropped off at those ridiculous ground blinds like a clock on the same routine. Day hunt outfitters are famous for this type of set up and make sure the animals that show up regularly without being skittish are off limits. (Pen raised exotics) Then they tell you how lucky you are to see the cool pen raised exotics up close. I can understand why the other hunter never came back.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5508176 12/30/14 02:41 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
When he let you take the photo as a "just killed this weekend", that would have told me all I need to know. Now some smuck will see it and possibly come pay to hunt based on a lie.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5508811 12/30/14 08:07 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
UPDATE:::

Spoke with the owner of the outfitter, and he said he liked the idea of the extra feeding times. He is looking into putting a remote on the feeders and then having the switch in the blinds for those who want to stay longer and have the feeders go off again like a call.

Per insurance reasons he cannot put blinds off the ground (which I understand)

However I hope it is not just (the right thing to say) or if he is genuine looking into it. He seemed genuine in wanting to better his outfit. So next year I will probably give it a second chance to see if changes were made.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5508940 12/30/14 09:25 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
First day show the hunters the stands, where they are, and how to get to them. When it's time to hunt, the outfitter should have multiple routes to give the hunters a safe and quite way to walk in. If problems do happen, the outfitter needs to make new areas right away or have a back up plan available.

Last edited by Curtis; 12/30/14 09:26 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Review - Mossy Rock Ranch (High Fence) San Saba Texas - Craigslist ad [Re: TXGH] #5509031 12/30/14 10:17 PM
L
Lil Joe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Next time try this place, I haven't been to his new place shown on this website but keith is a good guy.
http://www.kjobowhunting.com/hunts.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide