Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5509870 12/31/14 04:45 AM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I would not pay to hunt a big buck with an ear tag behind a high fence... Just doesnt seem right.. But if I was sitting on my low fence free range lease and a monster buck showed and had a tag .. I'd assume he got out of a hf and I'd probably lay the hammer down..

Re: ear tags [Re: txhunter1010] #5509887 12/31/14 04:55 AM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
I would not pay to hunt a big buck with an ear tag behind a high fence... Just doesnt seem right.. But if I was sitting on my low fence free range lease and a monster buck showed and had a tag .. I'd assume he got out of a hf and I'd probably lay the hammer down..

X2, but I think SheepHunter's scenario was if you shot the deer then saw the tag when you walked up on it. If I saw the tag when it was walking by, and I knew it was legal (I don't know livestock laws), it would definitely be meat in the freezer and a new pair of the biggest rattling horns around!

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5509899 12/31/14 05:07 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
The largest deer you have ever seen walks up broadside to your feeder. This deer is a no brainer. You don't even need to count points. The feeder is in the middle of your 10,000 acre South Texas lease you share with 20 hunters. You drop the giant in his tracks. You walk up shaking, cheering and cannot believe the size. Then you notice an ear tag. The number is 666 color is red. The buck nets 250" Typical.

You trace the buck back to a HF ranch 15 miles away which was last seen 5 years ago.

Would you be:

Proud
Disappointed.
Enter into B&C (free range-fair chase)
Not enter at all.

Disappointed. Even though the deer may have been as wild as a March hare. But disappointed because:
1)I don't know;
2)I do know he was not native; and
3)Sad we live in a world where chit like that can happen.

Had a buddy kill a huge buck with his bow. He was hunting about 2 miles from a HF big buck farm. He has a nagging feeling his deer may have been an escapee. Ticks me off he even has to have that feeling. Just another by-product of game farming.

Sad story.

What is the definition of a "Big Buck Farm" . Is it all HF ranches that contain whitetail? Breeding facilities that sell deer to HF ranches wanting to reintroduce quality genetics? Put and Take operations? Small enclosures < 100 ac <1000 ac< 10,000 acres.

Now we all know reintroduction programs such as the Texas Bighorn were accomplished in part due to the use of HF pens to raise and release pen raised sheep which later provided some public hunting. I would never associate this with "Trophy Sheep Farming"

Is there any middle ground for Whitetail in Texas short of mowing over every HF ranch?

Even mentioning sheep conservation and restoration efforts that brought them back from the brink of extinction in the same thread discusssing the HF whitetail deer industry in TX is painful to me. Just as it was seeing you post those pics of the monitored sheep-as if it had some relevance to a TX HF discussion.

One reflects efforts to save a species and restore it to the truly wild places. So, yes, some drastic TEMPORARY measures were taken. As of 2008, Texas' desert bighorn sheep population was just over 1000 animals.

The other reflects making money off of a growing desire to make it easier (easy, in fact) to kill a big antlered deer- usually within a specified time frame. Not restoration efforts. Texas alone has a free-ranging WT population of over 4 million.

Being realistic, I would be overjoyed with a cessation of the whitetail breeding and sale industry and a minimum acreage for HF of 1000 acres. Then, maybe in the future the minimums could be increased.

I might as well be wishing for the moon....

^^^ Little if any motivation exist to Conserve game animals without the motivation of the making the almighty $$$$ ^^^
Those 1000 sheep in Texas at $50,000 each, good investment for those landowners which control 80% of the tags. The TEMPORARY measures you mention in Texas have been over 28 years from 1973-2001

Reintroduction is reintroduction it just all happens at various times, some is controlled some is not, wolf, hogs, axis, blackbuck, whitetail, elk, buffalo, sheep....

If your moon does rise you will have to quit hunting because all those HF deer, buffalo, axis, blackbuck, elk will become free range and you will never be able to see the good in what you once wished for just like your friends bow buck.

In my opinion the Whitetail breeding industry has gotten out of hand. It just so happens the pyramid base for big whitetail is large. When demand becomes higher than supply innovative ideas ,good and bad chase the $$$$$. Yes, even with Sheep.

Now don't give up ,you may see a 1/2 moon one day ,because in time just like the Texas ostrich pyramid the septic tank will overflow and level itself.

Until then hunt on your side of the fence and I will hunt both sides maybe we will wave maybe not.

As always good hunting and safe travel.

P.S. I did not put those radio collars on those sheep but it got your goat cheers I apologize if it offended you. I enjoy the banter Sir!

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5523461 01/06/15 05:00 PM
C
chad miller Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I haven't read through this post in its entirety, but here is my experience with the need for eartags. First of all, this ranch Im describing does not operate on money generated from hunts. It is a working cattle ranch that is groomed to perfection at the owners request, and the occasional trophy taken merely assists in recouping feed costs which can exceed 90k/yr. The native deer on this ranch rarely pushed 150. genetics were brought in from other ranches and ear tags were twofold: #1, so they didn't get shot, #2, to identify where the deer came from. Most of these doe's over the years died natural death due to age, the rest were identified and shot as needed. (older ones went first). So while it does tend to look like a zoo at times, his goal was to simply bring in new genetics to make his hunting experience more fulfilling. And now, after 7 years of intense managing and letting deer mature, he's seeing deer well over 200" on a fairly regular basis.

"SSHhhhhh! Be Vewy, vewy qwiet....I'm hunting WABBITS!
Re: ear tags [Re: chad miller] #5523507 01/06/15 05:33 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch need ya'lls suport. after reading this thread. my kids need theropy i taught em wrong. tis all about the Big Bucks . 2cents reason why avoid the Deer Hunting Form best wishes ta all. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: ear tags [Re: 1860.colt] #5523531 01/06/15 05:47 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch need ya'lls suport. after reading this thread. my kids need theropy i taught em wrong. tis all about the Big Bucks . 2cents reason why avoid the Deer Hunting Form best wishes ta all. flag

as pappy once said: tis better ta fail alone, so others can learn from my mistakes flag

i'm postaddic
Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5523596 01/06/15 06:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
The largest deer you have ever seen walks up broadside to your feeder. This deer is a no brainer. You don't even need to count points. The feeder is in the middle of your 10,000 acre South Texas lease you share with 20 hunters. You drop the giant in his tracks. You walk up shaking, cheering and cannot believe the size. Then you notice an ear tag. The number is 666 color is red. The buck nets 250" Typical.

You trace the buck back to a HF ranch 15 miles away which was last seen 5 years ago.

Would you be:

Proud
Disappointed.
Enter into B&C (free range-fair chase)
Not enter at all.

Disappointed. Even though the deer may have been as wild as a March hare. But disappointed because:
1)I don't know;
2)I do know he was not native; and
3)Sad we live in a world where chit like that can happen.

Had a buddy kill a huge buck with his bow. He was hunting about 2 miles from a HF big buck farm. He has a nagging feeling his deer may have been an escapee. Ticks me off he even has to have that feeling. Just another by-product of game farming.

Got some bad news for you......which generation upsets you more the escapee or releasee

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5523635 01/06/15 06:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
I just don't understand why people will spend 6k or more to hunt a big whitetail with an ear tag when they could go on a big game hunt of a lifetime with that money. I guess it's because that would be a real hunt that would take effort.

6k won't get you far out west.

350 bull plus start at 16-18k
Mulie deer on the strip 120k

I've killed some pretty nice animals out west for 6K (and a helluva lot less). One can go on a top-notch Dall sheep hunt for that first figure you mention. Buy any Governor's tag for any species in WY for the second and have $$$ left over. (In fact, could get a sheep, moose, and MD tag). Get a TX LO Desert bighorn tag for about 80K.

You have fine tastes.....

I can get a licenses in Texas for 75 dollars also but that doesn't mean much...just like out west....
I'm fully aware of the costs...also fully aware what cost of any 80% Or better opportunity is. It's funny you mention WY and just the tag, and not the hunt price.

Again non resident hunting out west isn't cheap. Sure you can buy 2k land owner tag but even that doesn't get you much. So you draw a tag or go with OTC tag, great lets see what everything ends costing....

If my wife knew what I spent in application fees and pts out west over the past 7 plus years......it would not be good..she tends to match my hunting expenditures with her own

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5523755 01/06/15 07:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
All I was saying is there is a lot of good hunting to be had for less than 16 grand out west. Certainly less than 120 grand. A WY governor's sheep tag is around 60-65K. The hunt price is 10K give or take. Governor's moose tag 20-30K. Hunt price 6-8K or so depending on the outfitter. Governor's MD tag 15-20K. Hunt price again 6-8K depending on the outfitter.

TX Desert sheep hunt price is $9500. (I happen to know that one exactly since I just hunted with the man who guides for them.)

Didn't mean to mislead by not including the hunt price in my Governor's tag analysis. But, honestly, in that rarefied air the hunt price is just a small portion of the cost.

Excellent hunts can be had if you persevere in the application process (which is most folks' Achilles' heel). My WY moose hunt cost $8500 or so (tag, guide fees/tips,travel,taxidermy included) in 2005. Same hunt would be about 12K today.

The Desert sheep hunt will end up somewhere around 19K all told-6K of that will be taxidermy for a full body mount/habitat.

Those are admittedly skewed figures when you consider the long draw odds. But if one plays the application game well, a few top-notch elk and/or muley hunts can be in anyone's future for something south of 10 grand. Not every year, of course. But if one truly wants to have any chance of hunting top-quality animals with any degree of economic sanity, one must take the long view.

In the meantime, you can hunt the OTC units/general tags, still be hunting, and every once in a while still take some decent animals. My first elk was a 320" bull on a general tag in Wyoming. Total cost was about $2000.

Now, if you want to hunt big elk and big muleys every year? Yep. Be ready to fork over some big $$$ every year. (Unless you have been playing the application game for 20+ years in a dozen or so states.)

And if you want to hunt sheep every year? Yep, yep, yep. You better be rich and that's all there is to it.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/06/15 08:06 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5523786 01/06/15 08:18 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
IMO the best North American hunting bargains today are:

1)Big black bear in Canada;
2)Barren ground caribou in Canada; and
3)Newfoundland moose;

All can be done for 10K or less all-in.

To stretch it a little, if one wants to have a true adventure of a lifetime, Alaskan Dall sheep can be hunted for less than 20K all-in. Add another 5-8K for a Yukon/NWT Dall. A little less for AK/Yukon moose.

Or play the application game smartly for mid-tier elk/muley units in the States. There are great units besides just the Kaibab/Henrys/Escalante type units.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5523795 01/06/15 08:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
All I was saying is there is a lot of good hunting to be had for less than 16 grand out west. Certainly less than 120 grand. A WY governor's sheep tag is around 60-65K. The hunt price is 10K give or take. Governor's moose tag 20-30K. Hunt price 6-8K or so depending on the outfitter. Governor's MD tag 15-20K. Hunt price again 6-8K depending on the outfitter.

TX Desert sheep hunt price is $9500. (I happen to know that one exactly since I just hunted with the man who guides for them.)

Didn't mean to mislead by not including the hunt price in my Governor's tag analysis. But, honestly, in that rarefied air the hunt price is just a small portion of the cost.

Excellent hunts can be had if you persevere in the application process (which is most folks' Achilles' heel). My WY moose hunt cost $8500 or so (tag, guide fees/tips,travel,taxidermy included) in 2005. Same hunt would be about 12K today.

The Desert sheep hunt will end up somewhere around 19K all told-6K of that will be taxidermy for a full body mount/habitat.

Those are admittedly skewed figures when you consider the long draw odds. But if one plays the application game well, a few top-notch elk and/or muley hunts can be in anyone's future for something south of 10 grand. Not every year, of course. But if one truly wants to have any chance of hunting top-quality animals with any degree of economic sanity, one must take the long view.

In the meantime, you can hunt the OTC units/general tags, still be hunting, and every once in a while still take some decent animals. My first elk was a 320" bull on a general tag in Wyoming. Total cost was about $2000.

Now, if you want to hunt big elk and big muleys every year? Yep. Be ready to fork over some big $$$ every year. (Unless you have been playing the application game for 20+ years in a dozen or so states.)

And if you want to hunt sheep every year? Yep, yep, yep. You better be rich and that's all there is to it.

I agree with you, but hunting the west isn't as cheap as it sounds and you know guided+ tag 6k hunts are not even a mid level hunt. In the context of this thread a 6k TX WT hunt Low or High fence is cheap relative to a similar success ratio and animal quality out west. Even DIY it adds up quick not just in hunt and tag cost but equipment .

Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5523804 01/06/15 08:28 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
IMO the best North American hunting bargains today are:

1)Big black bear in Canada;
2)Barren ground caribou in Canada; and
3)Newfoundland moose;

All can be done for 10K or less all-in.

To stretch it a little, if one wants to have a true adventure of a lifetime, Alaskan Dall sheep can be hunted for less than 20K all-in. Add another 5-8K for a Yukon/NWT Dall. A little less for AK/Yukon moose.

Or play the application game smartly for mid-tier elk/muley units in the States. There are great units besides just the Kaibab/Henrys/Escalante type units.

Blk bear across the board is a steal, depending on how you want to hunt them

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5525120 01/07/15 02:14 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

[Linked Image]
Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5526996 01/08/15 04:20 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: don k
Is it just me or are there others that find it hard to stomach seeing ear tags in WT that are for sale for hunting? I can see buying deer for your place and getting people to hunt them but at least remove the tag before you release them. Do I need to buy some popcorn for this?
do you tag or otherwise mark your ibex?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5527004 01/08/15 04:27 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Elk?? I killed a 375" bull on a ranch I bought and held for 3 months. Low fence free range near Sanderson. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: ear tags [Re: therancher] #5527311 01/08/15 01:41 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: therancher
Is it just me or are there others that find it hard to stomach seeing ear tags in WT that are for sale for hunting? I can see buying deer for your place and getting people to hunt them but at least remove the tag before you release them. Do I need to buy some popcorn for this?
I don't tag. Back when I used to sell a few at RAZ I would not let them put a tag in the ear. Why would I want to put a tag in the ear? Ibex are like people. Each looks a little different than the others and if you need to do something to one you know which one it is. Deer are the same. Each one is a little different that the rest. If a person spent enough time with them they would not need a tag to know the individual deer.

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5527528 01/08/15 03:19 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
I don't tag. Back when I used to sell a few at RAZ I would not let them put a tag in the ear. Why would I want to put a tag in the ear? Ibex are like people. Each looks a little different than the others and if you need to do something to one you know which one it is. Deer are the same. Each one is a little different that the rest. If a person spent enough time with them they would not need a tag to know the individual deer.

I thought if you worked Deer, purchased a Deer to improve genetics, etc..handled deer in Texas the law was they had to be tagged and records kept. Ear Tags confused2

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5527693 01/08/15 04:34 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Ah. So they're individually marked. So natural identification is righteous, but doing it yourself isn't.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: ear tags [Re: LuckyHunter] #5527699 01/08/15 04:36 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

I thought if you worked Deer, purchased a Deer to improve genetics, etc..handled deer in Texas the law was they had to be tagged and records kept. Ear Tags confused2

That's for deer. Not for exotics. Why raz continues the poor practice of tagging exotics is one of life's many mysteries.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: ear tags [Re: therancher] #5527955 01/08/15 06:09 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D

Ah. So they're individually marked. So natural identification is righteous, but doing it yourself isn't.
You hit the nail on the head. If God had wanted tags in ears they would be born that way.

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5528472 01/08/15 09:47 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I'm getting low onpopcorn...anyone have extra?

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: ear tags [Re: WTGuide] #5528633 01/08/15 11:03 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: WTGuide
I'm getting low onpopcorn...anyone have extra?
Ask the ranchman. He has plenty.

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5528640 01/08/15 11:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: ear tags [Re: stxranchman] #5528714 01/08/15 11:44 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Is that beer in the "Cold Treats" box?

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5529406 01/09/15 07:06 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I don't tag. Back when I used to sell a few at RAZ I would not let them put a tag in the ear. Why would I want to put a tag in the ear? Ibex are like people. Each looks a little different than the others and if you need to do something to one you know which one it is. Deer are the same. Each one is a little different that the rest. If a person spent enough time with them they would not need a tag to know the individual deer. [/quote]

Ah. So they're individually marked. So natural identification is righteous, but doing it yourself isn't. [/quote] You hit the nail on the head. If God had wanted tags in ears they would be born that way. [/quote] cheers

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide