Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: ear tags [Re: LuckyHunter] #5505783 12/29/14 02:03 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
[quote=iliketohunt]I just don't understand why people will spend 6k or more to hunt a big whitetail with an ear tag when they could go on a big game hunt of a lifetime with that money. I guess it's because that would be a real hunt that would take effort.

When I retired and moved from Dallas back to Tyler in 2011, I dropped my lease out near Ft Griffin. It had been 33 years that I'd been on a lease, but I was now 2 hrs farther away and wasn't getting any younger. My last year there, I was maintaining 2 trailers, 9 protein feeders, 7 stands, and 20 corn feeders. in 2010 alone, I spent out of my own pocket over $8000.

So now I just go on guided hunts. Frankly, I spend even more money these days, but I'm retired now and am determined to squander my childrens' inheritance. I've completed my Grand Slam, the NA 28, and have hunted Argentina and Africa.

Regarding HF, I will say that if the property is huge and the game is wild and free to escape, I'm OK with it. I have personally hunted WTs on such a property in the past. But I see no sport in the current trend of "put and take" shooting whereby a citizen can pick his buck from an on-line roster of mug shots and then stroll into a pen for a 30 minute "hunt" to bag his trophy of a lifetime. B&C has issues with this practice too, and I'm proud to say that I am a life member of such an organization.

Now, if a guy wants to raise whitetails like FFA show stock, I say "to each his own", and if Joe Nimrod wants to shoot left-ear-black-tag-#8, then all power to him.

But I suggest we find another term besides HUNTING to denote such behavior. YMMV, of course.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5505790 12/29/14 02:06 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
^^^^^^ up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: ear tags [Re: dawaba] #5505924 12/29/14 03:13 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: dawaba
[quote=iliketohunt]I just don't understand why people will spend 6k or more to hunt a big whitetail with an ear tag when they could go on a big game hunt of a lifetime with that money. I guess it's because that would be a real hunt that would take effort.

When I retired and moved from Dallas back to Tyler in 2011, I dropped my lease out near Ft Griffin. It had been 33 years that I'd been on a lease, but I was now 2 hrs farther away and wasn't getting any younger. My last year there, I was maintaining 2 trailers, 9 protein feeders, 7 stands, and 20 corn feeders. in 2010 alone, I spent out of my own pocket over $8000.

So now I just go on guided hunts. Frankly, I spend even more money these days, but I'm retired now and am determined to squander my childrens' inheritance. I've completed my Grand Slam, the NA 28, and have hunted Argentina and Africa.

Regarding HF, I will say that if the property is huge and the game is wild and free to escape, I'm OK with it. I have personally hunted WTs on such a property in the past. But I see no sport in the current trend of "put and take" shooting whereby a citizen can pick his buck from an on-line roster of mug shots and then stroll into a pen for a 30 minute "hunt" to bag his trophy of a lifetime. B&C has issues with this practice too, and I'm proud to say that I am a life member of such an organization.

Now, if a guy wants to raise whitetails like FFA show stock, I say "to each his own", and if Joe Nimrod wants to shoot left-ear-black-tag-#8, then all power to him.

But I suggest we find another term besides HUNTING to denote such behavior. YMMV, of course.

Ditto up

Congratulations Sir.... My kids get their inheritance in mounts and pictures of adventures. My grandkids get to here the stories over and over and over.

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5507111 12/30/14 12:43 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
You can get any type "trophy" you want HF or Low fenced....you just need a big pocket book. grin

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: ear tags [Re: Tye] #5507668 12/30/14 04:05 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Tye
You can get any type "trophy" you want HF or Low fenced....you just need a big pocket book. grin

That's a true statement.

But that's not the only way. I know some guys with some pretty big whitetails that don't have a big pocketbook. And big elk. And big muleys. And even big mountain sheep. What do they all have in common? Commitment. Acquired skill. Dedication to putting in the time.

Just hunted with a guy who has taken 2 Grand Slams and is one shy of a third. Doesn't have a big pocketbook. But does have commitment. Has put in for sheep tags in a dozen states for over 30 years. Moved to Utah when he figured out he would probably never draw a tag as a non-resident but would have max points and draw as a resident. Sold his house to go on sheep hunts. Has 4 desert rams and never been to Mexico.

Most folks would rather bitch and moan about what they can't do and blame it on other factors such as lack of money, lack of time, or just bad luck rather than just buckle down and make it happen. Just like with many other aspects of life.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: ear tags [Re: Tbar] #5508021 12/30/14 01:16 PM
D
don k Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Tbar
There are crazy amounts of state mandated regulations for pen raised deer......those tags are probably one of them.

So if that is the case does the tag need to be still on the ear after it gets mounted?

Re: ear tags [Re: dawaba] #5508051 12/30/14 01:37 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: dawaba

the problem I have with your post, is that you're painting with a broad brush on what some of these tagged deer are. sure, there are places that kick out deer a few months before deer season, bu tthere are also places that have deer that were tagged as fawns and released. maybe they get shot 5-7 years later. that's not hunting, bu tone of the deer you fed at your 9 protein stations and 20 corn feeders is hunting?

why? because of something that happened in the first 6 months of that deer's life? It's still hunting. maybe it's easier, maybe it's not. There are deer in leakey that are low fence, native, never in a high fence that you could kill with a ball peen hammer. It's not about the fence, its about the conditioning, and I've seen plenty of low fence deer that are just as tame, if not more so than pen raised deer.

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5508065 12/30/14 01:43 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Good points Kyle, looking from that perspective. I have had "pet" deer that would be at the back door when we took the kids to school, kids always gave them a treat. I finally put a large red collar on 3 of them and couldn't/wouldn't have shot them though, (even if they where at my feeders, which was all the damn time) LF too.

Dennis

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5508073 12/30/14 01:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I agree with that in part.

But it's always about the fence to some degree. Whatever the conditioning is or isn't, the fence is there to keep the deer there. Guaranteed. That's why it was built.

Somehow the most obvious fact of all is the one most often overlooked/not mentioned.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5508091 12/30/14 01:58 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

But it's always about the fence to some degree. Whatever the conditioning is or isn't, the fence is there to keep the deer there. Guaranteed. That's why it was built.

Somehow the most obvious fact of all is the one most often overlooked/not mentioned.

I would agree with that, if your including HF in the equation, I was talking more in general and lf.I will add, all the "tame" deer I have seen in a LF situation, where deer that where not actively hunted, like residential areas, state parks ect tra ,so it is a far stretched parallel to compare them to deer with a tag IMO

Dennis

Re: ear tags [Re: Western] #5508219 12/30/14 03:02 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Western

I would agree with that, if your including HF in the equation, I was talking more in general and lf.I will add, all the "tame" deer I have seen in a LF situation, where deer that where not actively hunted, like residential areas, state parks ect tra ,so it is a far stretched parallel to compare them to deer with a tag IMO

kids were stil around, we did lots of camping SP & other camp grounds. does & fawns were the tame deer didnt see any kind of deer with a rack. were have my set up, for years was a 1 buck county, NO doe tags, told not enough deer. on leases, it wasnt hate deer rather food & if it was legal grillen & chillen. usualy had no doe tags, so does didnt feel the preasure. as pappy would say: tis best english igots 2cents i got cheap posts flag

i'm postaddic
Re: ear tags [Re: LuckyHunter] #5508431 12/30/14 04:51 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The black eye of the hunting industry is when it went to attaching dollars to "shooting a score" . I will not hunt these places.

Blackbuck starting at...
Axis starting at....
Whitetail starting at...140-150 $$ 150-160: $$$.....
Plus $250/inch

I guided once on a ranch and I can tell you the client was more concerned about not going over his budget than enjoying the hunt.
Like a trip to the grocery store.

It's kind of hard to find a place NOT like that today.

To be determined
Re: ear tags [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5508623 12/30/14 06:28 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
The black eye of the hunting industry is when it went to attaching dollars to "shooting a score" . I will not hunt these places.

Blackbuck starting at...
Axis starting at....
Plus $250/inch

I guided once on a ranch and I can tell you the client was more concerned about not going over his budget than enjoying the hunt.

If you owned property and were selling hunts(HF or LF), you would charge the same amount of money for a spike as you would a 180" buck?

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: ear tags [Re: Tye] #5508754 12/30/14 07:32 PM
D
don k Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Blackbuck starting at...
Axis starting at....
Plus $250/inch

If you owned property and were selling hunts(HF or LF), you would charge the same amount of money for a spike as you would a 180" buck?
Depends on how bad I wanted to get rid of the spike.

Re: ear tags [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5508992 12/30/14 10:00 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Blackbuck starting at...
Axis starting at....
Plus $250/inch

I find them and hunt them.

Re: ear tags [Re: Tye] #5509003 12/30/14 10:06 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Blackbuck starting at...
Axis starting at....
Plus $250/inch

If I owned the property Yes I would sell my hunts for one price Hunters choice. If it is a spike they are looking for welcome It's not that hard to find fixed price ranches, you just have to accept nothing less. To assign prices to score is a property owners right up I just will not hunt that way. flag

Last edited by SheepHunter; 12/30/14 10:09 PM.
Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5509232 12/30/14 11:53 PM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
I absolutely love the tags in the ears, as long as it's a requirement to get it mounted with it on, so everybody that it's shown off to knows how it was took...so yes I like them.

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: ear tags [Re: wisco-hunter] #5509320 12/31/14 12:19 AM
D
don k Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: wisco-hunter
I absolutely love the tags in the ears, as long as it's a requirement to get it mounted with it on, so everybody that it's shown off to knows how it was took...so yes I like them.
I like the way you think.

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5509365 12/31/14 12:32 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
The largest deer you have ever seen walks up broadside to your feeder. This deer is a no brainer. You don't even need to count points. The feeder is in the middle of your 10,000 acre South Texas lease you share with 20 hunters. You drop the giant in his tracks. You walk up shaking, cheering and cannot believe the size. Then you notice an ear tag. The number is 666 color is red. The buck nets 250" Typical.

You trace the buck back to a HF ranch 15 miles away which was last seen 5 years ago.

Would you be:

Proud
Disappointed.
Enter into B&C (free range-fair chase)
Not enter at all.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 12/31/14 12:33 AM.
Re: ear tags [Re: LuckyHunter] #5509405 12/31/14 12:44 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The largest deer you have ever seen walks up broadside to your feeder. This deer is a no brainer. You don't even need to count points. The feeder is in the middle of your 10,000 acre South Texas lease you share with 20 hunters. You drop the giant in his tracks. You walk up shaking, cheering and cannot believe the size. Then you notice an ear tag. The number is 666 color is red. The buck nets 250" Typical.

You trace the buck back to a HF ranch 15 miles away which was last seen 5 years ago.

Would you be:

Proud
Disappointed.
Not enter at all.

Disappointed. Even though the deer may have been as wild as a March hare. But disappointed because:
1)I don't know;
2)I do know he was not native; and
3)Sad we live in a world where chit like that can happen.

Had a buddy kill a huge buck with his bow. He was hunting about 2 miles from a HF big buck farm. He has a nagging feeling his deer may have been an escapee. Ticks me off he even has to have that feeling. Just another by-product of game farming.

Re: ear tags [Re: don k] #5509411 12/31/14 12:49 AM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
First of all, I'd thank the lord for allowing me to hunt a 10k acre ranch in S.TX with only 20 other hunters. Talk about hitting the jackpot. Now to the deer...kinda creepy his ear tag was 666 and red. Another prayer for that one. I'd have mixed feelings for shooting a monster deer that got out of a HF operation. I'd keep the meat and throw the rack in with the rest of my collection of antlers that I haven't mounted on a wall. So my answer is disappointed and not entered into B&C books.

Live Free or Die...
Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5509564 12/31/14 01:59 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Would you be:

Proud
Disappointed.
Not enter at all.

Disappointed. Even though the deer may have been as wild as a March hare. But disappointed because:
1)I don't know;

Had a buddy kill a huge buck with his bow. He was hunting about 2 miles from a HF big buck farm. He has a nagging feeling his deer may have been an escapee. Ticks me off he even has to have that feeling. Just another by-product of game farming.

So those deer you see on LF places that you could name and know exactly when and where they are going to be are so much better?

Re: ear tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5509747 12/31/14 03:23 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Would you be:

Proud
Disappointed.
Not enter at all.

1)I don't know;

Sad story.

What is the definition of a "Big Buck Farm" . Is it all HF ranches that contain whitetail? Breeding facilities that sell deer to HF ranches wanting to reintroduce quality genetics? Put and Take operations? Small enclosures < 100 ac <1000 ac< 10,000 acres.

Now we all know reintroduction programs such as the Texas Bighorn were accomplished in part due to the use of HF pens to raise and release pen raised sheep which later provided some public hunting. I would never associate this with "Trophy Sheep Farming"

Is there any middle ground for Whitetail in Texas short of mowing over every HF ranch?

Re: ear tags [Re: LuckyHunter] #5509786 12/31/14 03:44 AM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W

Would you be:

Proud
Disappointed.
Not enter at all.

very very disappointed and very very worried...probably wondering if I legally owe money to the owner of the buck...is it livestock or property of the state??? If a neighbors cow crosses my fence can I shoot it??? I have absolutely no idea, I wouldn't know I never looked into those laws, but that's a good question for the board, can one shoot another's livestock if it crosses onto your land?

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: ear tags [Re: LuckyHunter] #5509800 12/31/14 03:51 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Would you be:

Proud
Disappointed.
Not enter at all.

1)I don't know;

Sad story.

What is the definition of a "Big Buck Farm" . Is it all HF ranches that contain whitetail? Breeding facilities that sell deer to HF ranches wanting to reintroduce quality genetics? Put and Take operations? Small enclosures < 100 ac <1000 ac< 10,000 acres.

Now we all know reintroduction programs such as the Texas Bighorn were accomplished in part due to the use of HF pens to raise and release pen raised sheep which later provided some public hunting. I would never associate this with "Trophy Sheep Farming"

Is there any middle ground for Whitetail in Texas short of mowing over every HF ranch?

Even mentioning sheep conservation and restoration efforts that brought them back from the brink of extinction in the same thread discusssing the HF whitetail deer industry in TX is painful to me. Just as it was seeing you post those pics of the monitored sheep-as if it had some relevance to a TX HF discussion.

One reflects efforts to save a species and restore it to the truly wild places. So, yes, some drastic TEMPORARY measures were taken. As of 2008, Texas' desert bighorn sheep population was just over 1000 animals.

The other reflects making money off of a growing desire to make it easier (easy, in fact) to kill a big antlered deer- usually within a specified time frame. Not restoration efforts. Texas alone has a free-ranging WT population of over 4 million.

Being realistic, I would be overjoyed with a cessation of the whitetail breeding and sale industry and a minimum acreage for HF of 1000 acres. Then, maybe in the future the minimums could be increased.

I might as well be wishing for the moon....

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 12/31/14 03:53 AM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide