I was given permission from the folks at IR Defense to post spec sheets and talk about the new IR Patrol units.
Listed below are the pics IR Defense has took of the system. I will briefly talk about each pic and what you're seeing in the pic. Any questions after this please ask.
First the unit has unity focus of a true monocular of 1.05x in a 19mm configuration. The beauty of this monocular is it's versatility like a true PVS-14 NVD that can be head mounted, hand held, weapon mounted and (one step up from a 14) mounted in front of a RDS such as an EO Tech as depicted below.
Battery life (which can change) will be approx. 2 hours at 30hz and 1.5hrs at 60hz. With 2 Batts, 5hrs at 30hz and 3.5hrs at 60hz. Hand Held Mode
A pic showing the relative size coming in at approx. 16oz (which is currently getting machined for even more weight reduction).
- Note some key features of lens and eye piece focuses (uses the same PVS-14 eye piece as does the standard IR Hunter Rifle Scopes
- Also note the Wilcox Dovetail that is purpose built for their line of mounts...More on what types as we go through more pics Another Hand Held View
This perspective give another view on how most would be holding the unit up to their eye, but the point to key on is the stick thumb controller that controls all the four function levels (based on the model ordered) with a button selector on top you simply depress. This is really revolutionary what they did here for one handed operation with plenty of room for gloves, fat fingers etc. Working the controller is fantastic in this fashion! Accessory Mount View
We knew this unit needed to have a pic rail of some sort (especially for LE type roles) to have mounting options of lasers, Mini RDS, etc.)Dovetail, Battery Compartment and Download Cable Views
A lot going on in this good view of the battery compartment, dovetail system and download cable.
- Dovetail used here and always envisioned is a Wilcox dovetail that will be ingenious to this system allowing head mount with a G24, and weapon mounting with Wilcox's flip to the side mount. As we designed our TM-14 to have a PVS-14 fro from head to weapon in 5-7 seconds or so, this design has in mind the same quick versatility, "passive to active".
- Battery Compartment seen here will hold one (or two with extender) CR123 battery/s (NOT final here) of 2hrs in 30hz mode and 1/20min in 60hz modes /
- Download cable allowing USB image capture (More details on modes of use forthcoming as final design is completed)Weapon Mounted
Unit shown here with the Wilcox Flip to the Side mount showing a good view of the thumb controller and button
- Unit will include in the weapon mount version a standard crosshair and dot (I've recommended a 2moa dot for final design)
- Recoil rated up to .308
- Note location of thumb controller is in a good position for off hand manipulation
- Note view of Picatinny rail Weapon mounted in clip-on mode
- Another great versatility function of mounting the unit in front of a RDS. EO's will give the best unobstructed views. The last thermal unit to look this and work in this fashion was the Skeeter IR. This unit using BAE 12um core gives some amazing clarity. Helmet Mounted
Using the Wilcox dovetail shoe interface allows the mating to their L4 G24 system. Our Ops Core Jump helmet is seen here with our TNVC Lanyard system. We have asked for a catch loop to be installed on the IR Patrol to insure proper retention of the unit in case of accidental departure from the mount. As with all PVS-14, always affix those units to your helmet. I cannot tell you how many fall off at times for many reasons. Right now the loop that holds the video port cap can be used but it's a bit small. Image Views
These images were taken with the image capture feature showing the typical outstanding views one comes to expect from the 12um BAE core
- Menu functions as noted will be accomplished via the thumb controller we've outlined above
**Please note the level of detail based on IR Defenses High Detail Imagery of the pics below especially the details of the weapon in use is very impressive and very important to our LE clients**... Bottom pic, we clearly see it's a pump shotgun
We are excited about this latest line up from IR Defense that will be a great tool for the LE first responders and Mil toolbox. I'm excited our LE folks that work in a rural areas of the USA can have such an extraordinary tool where someone bails in a field in the middle of the night, they can field this unit immediately that becomes a huge officer safety tool and with the versatility to match any mission requirement. High end hunters will also love the system for the same versatility reasons outlined above. For those of you lucky enough to be attending the upcoming Shot Show January 20 - 23 2014 at the Sands Expo Center, TNVC will be the first to debut the new IR Patrol at our booth 6502. We will have the unit displayed in several of the configurations shown here. Pre-Orders will be start to be taken in the next few weeks with initial deliveries starting in February where TNVC will have the first initial units. If you would like to get on the email sales list, simply email sales at tnvc dot com.