Print Thread
Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... #5499672 12/26/14 01:02 AM
P
pug Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
We live inside the Fossil Creek golf course in NE Fort Worth, with the creek and about 2 acres that we partially cleared for a picnic area just behind our backyard. There is probably a total of 40-60 acres running along the creek in a contiguous tract that surrounds our subdivision. In the last 3-4 weeks we have had what seems to be an invasion of coyotes and at least two bobcats (both now on digital video footage at our back gate and the neighbors). There have been a couple of cats taken and one pup (coyote got him in a front yard two houses down from us). Something actually attacked the porcelain duck in the neighbor's back flower bed night before last. This morning I went downstairs before the Christmas chaos and saw the biggest coyote I've ever seen standing just outside our back gate between the backyard and the creek. Evidently a rabbit scurried under our fence into the back yard and Wiley was just waiting for it to return (and yes, I know that the squirrels, rabbits, birds, possums and such likely bring these varmints into the area).

I understand that should either species (coyote or bobcat) get into our backyard I can then shoot them as they may then be considered a threat to the child bride and me. But, unless I am mistaken , I understand that I cannot shoot them if they are off my property or on public property in the creek area. However, is it permissible to trap (baited cage) and remove them? I've dug through everything I can find online but cannot find any City ordinance that clearly permits or prohibits vaporizing these varmints. BTW, the Fossil Creek (per the subdivision map) is considered right of way (drainage) and is owned by the City.

Does anybody know that definitive "can do" and "cannot do" on this?

"My grandfather told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He also told me to try to be in the first group since there was much less competition."
Re: Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... [Re: pug] #5499764 12/26/14 02:00 AM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You might want to make a phone call.

Re: Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... [Re: pug] #5499801 12/26/14 02:27 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
SSS....a silencer might help too!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... [Re: pug] #5500458 12/26/14 05:05 PM
P
pug Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
Called the FW animal control and got zip -- nada. FW prohibits the use of any "projectile" (firearm, bow & arrow, BB or pellet gun, aklys, slingshot, atlatl, etc.).

The gal on the phone then directed me to a link to a single page document that suggests that (1) you don't feed the coyotes [duh...], (2) pick up any pet food from outside [double duh...], (3) keep trash cans covered [HOA mandates them to be kept in the garage until pick-up...], (4) erect a six foot fence [HOA mandates a 48" wrought iron fence on the green belt...], and (5) bury the fence six inches deep [last time I checked buying a wrought iron fence might significantly shorten its life...]. So once again, zip -- nada.

So I called "Critter Control" which has its HQ just south of us on North Beach. YIKE$$$$$!!! The fine for shooting the lil'beasties would be far cheaper than the cost of using a commercial pest removal -- plus there is a "transport ban" for coyotes in Tarrant County due to rabies, which means we would have to pay additional $$$ to get FW animal control to confine and test the vermin for rabies before Critter Control could remove them.

Time to pull out the Class-3 trust documents and go with SnakeWrangler's suggestion.

"My grandfather told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He also told me to try to be in the first group since there was much less competition."
Re: Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... [Re: pug] #5500803 12/26/14 08:59 PM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
The Bobcats won't bother anything unless you have pet rabbits or birds of some sort .... The coyotes will get cats an small dogs that are loose , but that is the risk you take letting them loose , owls an Hawks get small dogs an cats too
I deal with these same complance everyday
An the only way to test for rabies is put it down an ship its head to Austin for them to test the brain for the virus
It's winter time an it's easy meals to catch house cats keep dogs on leash if it's not in fenced area an cats in side an problem solved

Re: Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... [Re: pug] #5500963 12/26/14 10:57 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Time for the pit bull remedy.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... [Re: pug] #5501061 12/27/14 12:11 AM
B
BadLander Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Delete your post , go Buy a barnett brotherhood crossbow! Throw out some table scraps ! Conceal yourself REALLY WELL! And take care of business!!!!!

Re: Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... [Re: pug] #5503301 12/28/14 03:00 AM
B
breadman Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
yeah !! badlander has got it right ! ( badlander for prez !!!)

Re: Trapping & shooting within FW City limits... [Re: pug] #5503806 12/28/14 02:38 PM
T
tuffbroadhead Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Critter Control is missing a few things that allow them to do business in Texas effectively.

Not to mention the information they provided you is not entirely correct.

You have a pm...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide