Print Thread
Segway Scope Leveler #5493804 12/23/14 12:34 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Today I used my Segway scope leveler and took pictures, so I could share my experience with it.

Click image to see it larger.

Here it is, in all it's glory:

I'll be the first to admit that the Segway, and even its name seems pretty hokey, at first sight. - I felt dubious about spending 15 bucks on it, but I thought I'd give it a try.

It goes on like this:

The brass rod that goes across is square in cross-section. You put it on something flat (usually the scope mount bases) and then peer through the scope to see if the cross-hairs are lined up with the horizontal lines on the Segway. The rubber-band holds it in place, you adjust the band so that the scope leveler is flat and square on whatever you have the brass cross-bar sitting on. In my case, it went into one of the cuts in the picatinny rail. On another gun, it sat on top of the bases, just behind the ring.

The funny part is that the Segway, hokey though it may be, works better, quicker, and much easier than anything else I've tried.

I've used it on several guns now, and have become quite dependent upon it. - I do not see any reason to waste time or money on anything else.

A great product, I highly recommend it, though you might want to keep it in a drawer or something so nobody will see it laying around in your shop.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/23/14 05:55 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Segway Scope Leveler [Re: charlesb] #5494828 12/23/14 02:43 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Interesting.

Have you ever leveled your base with a spirit level, then lined up the reticle with a rope and plumb bob?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Segway Scope Leveler [Re: charlesb] #5495286 12/23/14 05:47 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Yes, that works well. I've also used the "Level-level" system. The advantage with the Segway is that the 1/8" square rod can fit into places where a spirit level just won't go. The rubber band gets you away from using magnets that don't always get enough purchase for a good grip.

There is a level built into the Segway, to make it easier to use two levels or a plumb bob if desired.

I have yet to use the level on the Segway though. Once you have it set up, with the high-tech rubber band system in place, the horizontal lines on the Segway make lining up the cross-hairs a snap, and quite accurate.

One thing about it that I like is that you don't have to be afraid to touch or bump the gun while leveling the scope, as there is no delicate spirit level setting to maintain. - You could do it with the gun at an angle or on it's side, if for some reason you wanted to.

I got the Segway after being frustrated trying to find a flat spot big enough for a level to stay in place, or for a magnet to hold. - If there's a flat spot 1/8" wide, that's all the Segway needs. It's particularly good with a picatinny rail. On Conetrol Custum bases, it works much better than anything else I've seen as the flat spot on those bases is not very wide at all.

I've also discovered that quality control on spirit levels is not always good. The markings are often misaligned, and some are bad about losing the fluid in storage.

Another scope-leveling trick that I recently discovered is that the vertically split rings are not nearly so bad as other designs about rotating the scope as they are tightened. I'm still trying to get used to how they look, though.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/23/14 06:01 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Segway Scope Leveler [Re: charlesb] #5495314 12/23/14 05:57 PM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
I got a new vortex pst last night and almost grabbed this at academy last night, well now it looks like I'm going back to get it. bang

Re: Segway Scope Leveler [Re: charlesb] #5495461 12/23/14 06:48 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I shoot with one of these. All the rifles have one piece pic rails. So I keep this level and make the reticle level to a plumb bob.

http://www.shop.jeccustom.com/Anti-Cant-Folding-Level-JEC-FL.htm

But your tool is way cheaper for the guys that don't run an anti-cant level. I'm curious to see how well the scope tracks after having used your leveler. That is if you dial elevation. Hopefully you'll let us know how it does.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Segway Scope Leveler [Re: charlesb] #5496845 12/24/14 09:32 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I have the Segway and use the turret bubble level from a level-level set with it. It works great most of the time. But there are some rifles that the Segway will not work on because there is no flat surface for the rod to sit on. A friend told me about the reticle-tru and that is what I use now. No levels and no need for a flat surface.

http://parabola-llc.com/company/

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Segway Scope Leveler [Re: charlesb] #5497276 12/24/14 04:12 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I really like simple solutions that both products seem to offer but they both are kinda like riding mopeds...fun to use but don't let your friends find out. bolt

That said, it is perfectly ok if Santa brings you a Segway...IJS

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Segway Scope Leveler [Re: J.G.] #5514529 01/02/15 04:27 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I shoot with one of these. All the rifles have one piece pic rails. So I keep this level and make the reticle level to a plumb bob.

http://www.shop.jeccustom.com/Anti-Cant-Folding-Level-JEC-FL.htm

But your tool is way cheaper for the guys that don't run an anti-cant level. I'm curious to see how well the scope tracks after having used your leveler. That is if you dial elevation. Hopefully you'll let us know how it does.

I only have one rifle that I dial elevation with, a 223 bolt gun. Currently it's pretty icy here, but it ought to clear up enough to go shooting in a couple of days. I just did some surgery on the 223, so it will definitely go on the next trip to the range.

Kind regards, charlesb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide