6241967 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#5492264 - 12/22/14 06:54 AM Recent Game Warden Encounter
Brippley Offline
Green Horn

Loc: Central Texas
Yesterday afternoon the wife and I, and our home builder were sitting in our house discussing a new home we were consider building, and we noticed some movement in the yard and saw a man standing there wearing a uniform waving towards the house. Recognizing it as some kind of Law Enforcement, I exited the house and approached him, it was a Game Warden. Our counties Game Warden had retired and this one was recently assigned to our county. I asked if he was responding to a call, thinking I could help direct him to where he might be needed, he said no. He told me he had saw some deer blinds on our property and wanted to "check the place out". I noticed his vehicle in the road and asked how he was able to enter, as I have a electronic gate opener, he said that they operate on a radio frequency and he is able to key up on his radio, on a certain channel for entry, works on some but not all. He noticed a deer leg bone my dogs had been chewing on, asked me if that was a deer bone, told him yes I had killed two, he asked to see my hunting license, which I showed him, all was in order. He then left my property. Thinking on the encounter, I was not sure why he was there. I know they have a tough job, but what was the "Probable Cause" for entry onto my property. My deer blinds are viewable from the road but have been shut down with covers for several weeks, we had been outside earlier walking around the build site and had not heard any gunshots, at all, anywhere. Our house is about 1/4 mile down a windy road and can't be seen from the entrance. I know deer and game are the property of the State of Texas, that is until you hit a deer on a road and they damage your vehicle, then they have nothing to do with it, but do they have the right to "check the place out" because my deer blinds are visible from the road?

#5492269 - 12/22/14 06:57 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

popcorn
welcome

#5492276 - 12/22/14 07:03 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Brippley Offline
Green Horn

Our family has owned the property since 1938, yes we hunt it, we only allow family on it, Never have we ever seen a Game Warden on our ranch. I have encountered Game Wardens fishing, all were great encounters, but this one does not seem legit.

#5492290 - 12/22/14 07:17 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Quote:
but do they have the right to "check the place out" because my deer blinds are visible from the road?

Yes. http://www.countryworldnews.com/news-archives/CTX/2005/ct1027rites.php

#5492296 - 12/22/14 07:21 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Texas Parks and Wildlife Code:

In Chapter 12 section 103
“An authorized employee of the department may enter on any land or water where wild game or fish are known to range or stray. No action may be sustained against an employee of the department to prevent his entering on land or water when acting in his official capacity.”

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5492303 - 12/22/14 07:24 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Brippley Offline
Green Horn

Ok - that answers my question, Thank you.

#5492304 - 12/22/14 07:24 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
SniperRAB Online   content
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
Have any enemies or hard feelings or dealings with anyone that may call in...Not being facious just that is a option. Could have been related to someone close and was just checking out the scene,I wouldnt worry to much sounds like all was well. Also Welcome

#5492324 - 12/22/14 07:35 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Brippley Offline
Green Horn

Don't think so, no neighbors within a half mile and we all get along very well, have to look out for each other out here. No worries about it, but was really surprised to see someone not invited on our property standing in our yard. And thank you for the Welcome. I have been monitoring this site and the fishing forum for many years, good site.

#5492326 - 12/22/14 07:35 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Big Country
I wonder if he would have cut a chain and lock off of your gate, just to "check the place out"?

#5492337 - 12/22/14 07:41 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Brippley Offline
Green Horn

Reading the above, I would say yes. "No action may be sustained against an employee of the department to prevent his entering on land or water when acting in his official capacity.”

#5492343 - 12/22/14 07:44 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker

I wished he would come up here and start and investigation as to where all of the deer have gone. they all disappeared a month ago. roflmao

#5492346 - 12/22/14 07:45 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Last season I had one stop and ask to see my license while I was dressed in street clothes working on a tractor. He asked me if I had been hunting that year and after I said yes, that's when he asked to see my license.

I have to wonder if our local constable will one day stop and on knock on my door and ask to see my driver's license and proof of insurance after seeing our vehicles parked in the driveway.

Spring, Texas

#5492353 - 12/22/14 07:49 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Texas Dan]
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Last season I had one stop and ask to see my license while I was dressed in street clothes working on a tractor. He asked me if I had been hunting that year and after I said yes, that's when he asked to see my license.

I have to wonder if our local constable will one day stop and on knock on my door and ask to see my driver's license after seeing our vehicles parked in the driveway.

the law says you don't have to answer questions of the police if they question you, shouldn't that apply to GW as well? I mean, 5th Amendment and all...
you could have just smiled, been respectful and said, have a nice day sir I'm kind of busy and I don't have time to chat with you.

#5492366 - 12/22/14 07:55 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Sparky45]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Sparky45
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I have to wonder if our local constable will one day stop and on knock on my door and ask to see my driver's license after seeing our vehicles parked in the driveway.

the law says you don't have to answer questions of the police if they question you, shouldn't that apply to GW as well? I mean, 5th Amendment and all...
you could have just smiled, been respectful and said, have a nice day sir I'm kind of busy and I don't have time to chat with you.

Agreed. But why be a jerk even when confronted ...

Spring, Texas

#5492373 - 12/22/14 07:59 AM Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley]
TurkeyHunter Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bedford, TX
Sounds like an opportunity to have built a relationship with a new game warden. You might need his help some day.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide